Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Duke787
Had my first experience with KE last week.

ICN - BKK on the 773 (not ER) -- which would've been the case even before this change
SIN - ICN on the 773ER -- due to elimination of SIN - NRT flight

Was very pleasantly surprised.

ICN - BKK: The 773 was definitely on the old side but had IFE and the seat was comfy for the 5 hour flights despite the plane being mostly full. Food was disgusting (thought I was playing it safe with beef and noodles but even the noodles were disgusting). Was exhausted from DTW - ICN so mostly napped and watched a couple of movies -- would be perfectly fine on the 773 again

SIN - ICN: Nice 773ER with new HD screens and very comfortable Y seats (and J seat looked to be the APEX J seat which looked very appealing). Had the bibimbap and it was really tasty (wasn't expecting that after terrible ICN - BKK food). FAs were very nice and happy to bring me more beer after the initial F&B service. Would be perfectly fine with that seat for a longer flight in Y -- definitely no complaints after the 6.5 hour SIN - ICN flight (except we arrived early and then waited 25+ minutes for a gate -- thankfully we weren't connecting on to ICN - MSP that night or may not have made it but that's exactly why we built in an overnight to avoid the misconnect).

Despite warning about warm cabins, both sectors were actually on the cold side and required blankets (and I live in NC and usually love AC so cold has to be actually cold). The SIN - ICN flight was also a bus gate which was annoying from an overhead bin perspective since it essentially neutralized my SkyPriority and the bins were pretty full

One big downside vs. NRT is that the KE lounges in ICN are awful but at least they have showers and a beer machine.
A bus gate at ICN??????? This is the first I've ever heard of this considering T2 is very new and that shouldn't happen. Also - the beef noodles are awful. I told the flight attendant that it was no better than cat food and I only ate it because we were last to choose and there was nothing left.....even though I was a Morning Calm member with a Morning Calm only "pre-selectable seat." They went WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND to take care of me for the next meal and gave me heaps of snacks at snack time.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I hope the rumor of DL launching LAX-SIN nonstop comes to fruition, but I have serious doubts it will ever happen. First of all, why would DL shutter a station (SIN) and pay out long-time employees, only to reopen with a single flight? I would love if this were true, but economically it would make no sense. Same thing with Taipei, I would love it if DL would launch a nonstop but they've just laid off all their TPE employees for a reason... they don't see a DL metal future there.
So sad. Maybe JV should be illegal and then DL would have an incentive to fly there. I would love to have TPE, SIN, and HKG on the list.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
So sad. Maybe JV should be illegal and then DL would have an incentive to fly there. I would love to have TPE, SIN, and HKG on the list.
All getting rid of JV would do is reduce cities you can get to. You do realize JV spread expenses across carriers. Get rid of that and airline now has to cover it all. All while now not getting passengers from former JV partner to fill plane up. I know JV can be abused. However we do end up with options we wouldn't have had without it. For example, do you think we'd have flights like AUS-AMS or the like without JV to spread the cost and fill the plane?
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by flyerCO
All getting rid of JV would do is reduce cities you can get to. You do realize JV spread expenses across carriers. Get rid of that and airline now has to cover it all. All while now not getting passengers from former JV partner to fill plane up. I know JV can be abused. However we do end up with options we wouldn't have had without it. For example, do you think we'd have flights like AUS-AMS or the like without JV to spread the cost and fill the plane?
And some people don't realize or care that it's not a lucrative business model to sell tickets to Asia for $500 RT, especially for a US airline. And, unfortunately for us, DL doesn't run a charity.
flyerCO, ryandc99 and koreanair720 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013
And some people don't realize or care that it's not a lucrative business model to sell tickets to Asia for $500 RT, especially for a US airline. And, unfortunately for us, DL doesn't run a charity.
Business class often sells for 10x that amount or more. If you can fill a good number of J seats, I suspect it is profitable. United just added a 2nd daily SFO-HKG 777. UA is not a charity either. UA is a US airline last I checked.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Business class often sells for 10x that amount or more. If you can fill a good number of J seats, I suspect it is profitable. United just added a 2nd daily SFO-HKG 777. UA is not a charity either. UA is a US airline last I checked.
Comparing DL to UA on TPAC/Asia J traffic is hardly fair given the huge strategic/network advantage UA has with the SFO hub for J traffic from the tech giants. Remember that picture that leaked earlier this year that said Apple alone spends $150M/year on UA? With an average of 50 business class seats daily on SFO - PVG generating $35M annually on that route alone -- with HKG listed as the #2 route for Apple?

UA can add TPAC capacity because they have huge paid O&D J traffic in SFO to support the $500 Y fares. Clearly DL (and AA) don't have the same traffic to many Asia cities which is why you've seen DL and AA retreat from many routes in Asia and look to funnel through a single Asia hub or through US hubs.
koreanair720 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Comparing DL to UA on TPAC/Asia J traffic is hardly fair given the huge strategic/network advantage UA has with the SFO hub for J traffic from the tech giants. Remember that picture that leaked earlier this year that said Apple alone spends $150M/year on UA? With an average of 50 business class seats daily on SFO - PVG generating $35M annually on that route alone -- with HKG listed as the #2 route for Apple?

UA can add TPAC capacity because they have huge paid O&D J traffic in SFO to support the $500 Y fares. Clearly DL (and AA) don't have the same traffic to many Asia cities which is why you've seen DL and AA retreat from many routes in Asia and look to funnel through a single Asia hub or through US hubs.
ab2013 said these direct flights aren't profitable at $500 fares. I replied that they can be profitable, IF you can fill a good portion of the J cabin. You seem to be saying exactly the same thing
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Interesting...

https://onemileatatime.com/chinese-a...sing-billions/
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ab2013
Not exactly surprising. In China, lots of businesses can only exist thanks to support from the state. Otherwise, they would have went bankrupt many years ago.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprisingly, DL is still flying its metal to PVG and PEK at around $500 rt next spring. I hope I'll be Platinum by then and see how well DL treats me on those flights.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Surprisingly, DL is still flying its metal to PVG and PEK at around $500 rt next spring. I hope I'll be Platinum by then and see how well DL treats me on those flights.
Dont get your Hope's up. Diamonds fly these routes regularly. We dont get anything special except the very rare OPUP.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Dont get your Hope's up. Diamonds fly these routes regularly. We dont get anything special except the very rare OPUP.
lol. Damn. Can't catch a break from the DMs! I thought the US-China tension would at least deter some people from going there. Guess I'll need to find a way to become DM.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Last day of ops at NRT is March 28? What will be the last flight in, and out of NRT? Is DL planning something special that day?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki
Last day of ops at NRT is March 28? What will be the last flight in, and out of NRT? Is DL planning something special that day?
would be nice . I would definitely plan a trip around it. I’ve been transiting NRT for years , so there is some nostalgia that comes along with it. Sad to see it go.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
lol. Damn. Can't catch a break from the DMs! I thought the US-China tension would at least deter some people from going there. Guess I'll need to find a way to become DM.
Assuming you have a multi-entry visa, PEK is mileage run paradise these days. Not only are some R/Ts from DTW under $500 (!!!!!), I've also flown twice to PEK this year in PS for less than $1000, getting a nice MQM bonus.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.