Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
Originally Posted by kyushuman
That seems quite odd since neither is their partner.... should be the same for them, unless they made a deal and ANA has given them some discounted rate?
As for your ticket-- don't forget to call and request "ORC" Orginial Routing Credit- when you have finished your trip on ANA. You should also be able to get full mileage with ANA or whatever Star Alliance mileage program you have. Using wheretocredit, it seems like UA offers 150% RDM so you'd get around 10K miles on UA as well as your DL miles.
Are you sure that you get mileage credit both the ORC and Star Alliance mileage? Have you done this?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Akiestar
Using GUCs on KE is similar to AF -- you need to be in fare classes Y, B or M to be upgraded to business class.
Thanks! Do you know if you also have to be in Y, B, or M to upgrade using miles? Would one GUC cover you for the whole trip like it is with Delta? (i.e. SIN to ICN to MSP) or do you have to use two GUCs since it is two different airlines?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Delta PM
Still not re-booked, here. Somewhat surprised by that.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM
Same here... December SIN trip not rebooked yet. Fingers crossed...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PeggyJM
I thought I'd report back. We had three reservations that were impacted by this change in service between SIN and NRT. Our October tickets (SIN-NRT) have been rebooked on NH and surprisingly, the flight schedule is almost identical to what Delta's schedule was. My husband and I were on different reservations for flights from SIN to MSP in December (different departure dates) and then returning together. We weren't satisfied with the rerouting on the outbound sectors as they rebooked us SIN-ICN-ORD-MSP. The ICN-ORD sectors were on Korean Air. There is a huge difference between business on Korean and Delta One! My outbound sector was on a day when there is a good connection between the SIN-ICN flights and the nonstop to MSP, so I requested to be switched to that flight and they agreed. There is no MSP to ICN on the day that we were returning to SIN so Delta allowed us to switch our tickets to the day before and go on that route. (They had routed us MSP-DTW-ICN-SIN, with a 39 minute connect time in DTW. I've done that before and it is a tight connection and I ended up running to the gate and they had already boarded and all the overhead bin space was already taken in Delta One.) I have no desire to have a tight connection like that in January, where it is easy to have a 10-15 minute delay due to weather in MSP. ) My husband is flying on a day when Korean Air doesn't fly the flight that has a good connecting time, and it means he would have a 13 hour connection in ICN, so he was able to switch his SIN-ICN-ORD-MSP(on Korean Air) to one going through DTW. They had trouble with my ticket, though, because my ticket was purchased using "Pay with Miles", and apparently that is not allowed on Korean Air. I use "Pay with Miles" all the time so that is disappointing to realize that we won't have that benefit anymore traveling from Singapore.
Be careful. The fkightcwith the good connecting time is KE648/DL7933. I posted about issues with onetime arrival of this flight. KE agents even informed me this is the most frequent KE-DL misconnect. MSP is about 20 minutes later than other DL flights, so has better chance, but still is iffy. Just be prepared to misconnect. KE will then try and force you to fly KE metal, generally to LAS. Call DL and they can rebook on morning DTW flight. (Or other later flights).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MonAmQB
Same here... December SIN trip not rebooked yet. Fingers crossed...
Yep. Still holding out for the call!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Are you sure that you get mileage credit both the ORC and Star Alliance mileage? Have you done this?
I can't speak for Delta but--
When I've done a VDB and DL put me on another airline, and vice versa, this has always worked.
When I've been rerouted due to mechanical delays it's always worked.
That said, I'd take the chance but if my Plat or Diamond status hinges on whether you can get ORC, then I'd be conservative; otherwise I'd assume it'd work fine.
Maybe someone else with recent experience can help?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I can't speak for Delta but--
When I've done a VDB and DL put me on another airline, and vice versa, this has always worked.
When I've been rerouted due to mechanical delays it's always worked.
That said, I'd take the chance but if my Plat or Diamond status hinges on whether you can get ORC, then I'd be conservative; otherwise I'd assume it'd work fine.
Maybe someone else with recent experience can help?
I'm pretty sure the US airlines got rid of this sort of double dipping years ago.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Be careful. The fkightcwith the good connecting time is KE648/DL7933. I posted about issues with onetime arrival of this flight. KE agents even informed me this is the most frequent KE-DL misconnect. MSP is about 20 minutes later than other DL flights, so has better chance, but still is iffy. Just be prepared to misconnect. KE will then try and force you to fly KE metal, generally to LAS. Call DL and they can rebook on morning DTW flight. (Or other later flights).
Thanks for the advice. I've got an hour so I'll hope that is enough. If I find it is an issue, I'll book via Detroit the next time.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I'm pretty sure the US airlines got rid of this sort of double dipping years ago.
That's what I would assume, that double dipping wouldn't be allowed. I don't need the miles, but can always roll them over. My husband does need the miles, though. I haven't entered our SQ details to get Star Alliance points, so if I only request ORC I should be OK.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
That's what I would assume, that double dipping wouldn't be allowed. I don't need the miles, but can always roll them over. My husband does need the miles, though. I haven't entered our SQ details to get Star Alliance points, so if I only request ORC I should be OK.
DL will 100% give ORC. The question comes in as to if SQ will give credit. If this was a DoD IRROP the answer generally has become no. However as this was an advance change SQ shouldn't see it any different as if you bought it this way. Have agent before your *A flight add your SQ number for it. This way you might get credit. Regardless DL will give ORC.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
One time, I was rerouted from MH to MI (SQ subsidiary) and was denied KF miles as a result of the circumstances of the rebooking (cancelled flight).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ORC is usually easy to score IME, and DL has zero knowledge of any miles you collect from non partner airlines. I'm not familiar with any changes in this regard during the past 20+ years.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
2 years ago, I had a ticket issued by Orbitz: Delta 006 ticket number, with one South African Airways segment (the first one) CPT-JNB-AMS-MSP.

The SAA flight went mechanical and they put me on SA CPT-LHR and then UA LHR-IAD, then DL IAD-MSP.
Got both UA and DL ORC miles.
Yes, I think the only question is if SQ has you coded somehow as a "free ticket" but that is doubtful since you'll be booked into SQ D or C class, I assume?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:51 am

2 years ago, I had a ticket issued by Orbitz: Delta 006 ticket number, with one South African Airways segment (the first one) CPT-JNB-AMS-MSP.

The SAA flight went mechanical and they put me on SA CPT-LHR and then UA LHR-IAD, then DL IAD-MSP.
Got both UA and DL ORC miles.
Yes, I think the only question is if SQ has you coded somehow as a "free ticket" but that is doubtful since you'll be booked into SQ D or C class, I assume?
We've been rebooked on NH, but my only *A account is with SQ. Although with all these recent changes with Delta, I've been considering asking United to do a status match. We were booked into a Z fare on the outbound sector and P on the return.

Last edited by PeggyJM; Aug 6, 2019 at 3:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.