FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1981092-delta-exiting-nrt-ending-nrt-sin-moving-mnl-flight-icn.html)

moondog Aug 4, 2019 3:32 pm

The beer machines are hardly unique to Narita.

BenA Aug 4, 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by heckler (Post 31379023)
Its a shame to hear that NRT (and the skyclubs) will be closing. Ill miss the showers along with the with the nicely catered SC. Even more of a blow is the beer machine which frosts and foams your beer via a neat tipping mechanism..

Fortunately, KE has imported the same automatic beer machines in their ICN lounges, dispensing Korean beer (Max, IIRC, not like it matters much whether it’s that or Cass or Hite). They even had to buy 220V step down converters to run them because of the different power standards in Japan, from the looks of it.

AANYC1981 Aug 4, 2019 4:50 pm

Still no one knows what is happening to our sweet NRT employees?

PeggyJM Aug 4, 2019 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman (Post 31374379)
If I were you, Peggy, for the NRT trip you seem ready to cancel-- I would accept the Delta Schedule change if you're rerouted onto SQ, JL or NH business class for flight times you like. They are all good airlines. My personal preference is strongly to SQ, though if you live in SIN maybe you already have an opinion about them!
Personally, if given the choice, based on lounge optioons, I'd do SQ on the way to Tokyo (Maybe not leaving so terribly early as the original DL one) and NH or JL on the return. SQ flies A380, A350, 777 on the route, while JL flies 777 and NH flies 787.

Then, after the trip, call Delta and request ORC (Original Routing Credit) for your flights and as a rule, I haven't had any issue getting miles credited for when I VDB off of a Delta flight, so in this case, you really are in an IDB/Delta's fault situation, so you should get your ORC.
That said, some posters here are saying you'll be routed onto DL's partners, meaning KE/MU/GA are the possibilities. I do know that GA business is said to be quite good, but all of those are NOT nonstop so I'd call DL and try to get them to give you nonstops.
Let us know what happens!

While enroute to SIN yesterday, we received our updated itinerary. They've rerouted us on NH business class and surprisingly, the flight times are all within 20 minutes of what our flight times were on DL. I was hoping for SQ, but at least they aren't routing us through Korea! I do need to call, though, to see if I can change our seat assignments so that we are sitting together and make some changes to what they gave us on our Christmas flights.

ab2013 Aug 4, 2019 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 31379251)
Still no one knows what is happening to our sweet NRT employees?

I hope that DL lets some of them transfer to HND, but my guess is that there will probably be layoffs (fewer flights, no SkyClub, no maintenance hangar...)

FireEmblemPride Aug 4, 2019 8:33 pm

When DL finally began flying from HND in the daytime in October 2016, DL employees from NRT transferred over to HND. I recognized several of them from the NRT days, plus their English ability was markedly different from the third party ground agent services that had managed their LAX/SEA midnight flights beforehand. I would imagine that a good amount of NRT employees will simply hop over to HND after the transition.

It's important to note that layoffs in Japan are generally not allowed unless there are extenuating circumstances related to the company's financial health, which is irrelevant in DL's case.

Employees who do not want to transfer to HND for commute reasons will probably be able to find work at DL's Tokyo office, or perhaps at another airline or third party servicer in the worst case scenario. Japan actually has far fewer workers than there are people who can work those jobs, and that extends to the airports. There are more non-Japanese than ever working at airport security, as gate staff, etc.

The DL NRT crew will be fine!

AANYC1981 Aug 4, 2019 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride (Post 31379746)
When DL finally began flying from HND in the daytime in October 2016, DL employees from NRT transferred over to HND. I recognized several of them from the NRT days, plus their English ability was markedly different from the third party ground agent services that had managed their LAX/SEA midnight flights beforehand. I would imagine that a good amount of NRT employees will simply hop over to HND after the transition.

It's important to note that layoffs in Japan are generally not allowed unless there are extenuating circumstances related to the company's financial health, which is irrelevant in DL's case.

Employees who do not want to transfer to HND for commute reasons will probably be able to find work at DL's Tokyo office, or perhaps at another airline or third party servicer in the worst case scenario. Japan actually has far fewer workers than there are people who can work those jobs, and that extends to the airports. There are more non-Japanese than ever working at airport security, as gate staff, etc.

The DL NRT crew will be fine!

I hope you’re right but Delta’s history in Asia with employees is hardly a bright spot.

RealHJ Aug 4, 2019 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 31379832)
I hope you’re right but Delta’s history in Asia with employees is hardly a bright spot.

Or anywhere for that matter.

And as DL has shut down other locations entirely, for example FUK, the staff there have been simply laid off (I asked, and so was told - that the short notice period came as a shock to all of them).

PeggyJM Aug 4, 2019 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 31374904)
If you're going to or coming from Kyoto, why are you flying out of the far away NRT? Why not fly out of KIX or NGO, both of which are much closer and easier accessible? If I was you, if DL is going to rebook you on another carrier direct, I'd ask them to change it to go to/from KIX or NGO, to avoid the long and expensive train ride to/from NRT.

We did think about doing that, but with the flight schedule (NH doesn't have a non stop) we would end up getting to Kyoto even later than with taking the train. It's ok, since we buy JR rail passes and will do some other side trips from Kyoto.

PeggyJM Aug 4, 2019 10:23 pm

I thought I'd report back. We had three reservations that were impacted by this change in service between SIN and NRT. Our October tickets (SIN-NRT) have been rebooked on NH and surprisingly, the flight schedule is almost identical to what Delta's schedule was. My husband and I were on different reservations for flights from SIN to MSP in December (different departure dates) and then returning together. We weren't satisfied with the rerouting on the outbound sectors as they rebooked us SIN-ICN-ORD-MSP. The ICN-ORD sectors were on Korean Air. There is a huge difference between business on Korean and Delta One! My outbound sector was on a day when there is a good connection between the SIN-ICN flights and the nonstop to MSP, so I requested to be switched to that flight and they agreed. There is no MSP to ICN on the day that we were returning to SIN so Delta allowed us to switch our tickets to the day before and go on that route. (They had routed us MSP-DTW-ICN-SIN, with a 39 minute connect time in DTW. I've done that before and it is a tight connection and I ended up running to the gate and they had already boarded and all the overhead bin space was already taken in Delta One.) I have no desire to have a tight connection like that in January, where it is easy to have a 10-15 minute delay due to weather in MSP. ) My husband is flying on a day when Korean Air doesn't fly the flight that has a good connecting time, and it means he would have a 13 hour connection in ICN, so he was able to switch his SIN-ICN-ORD-MSP(on Korean Air) to one going through DTW. They had trouble with my ticket, though, because my ticket was purchased using "Pay with Miles", and apparently that is not allowed on Korean Air. I use "Pay with Miles" all the time so that is disappointing to realize that we won't have that benefit anymore traveling from Singapore.

PeggyJM Aug 4, 2019 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 31366697)
Can't find any actual article but this OMAAT article sums things up:

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-end...arita-flights/

Wish they would have also kept an ICN - SIN flight on DL metal like they're doing with ICN - MNL. Sucks that you can no longer go C+ all the way to SIN -- big benefit erosion there

I agree! Not only is the DL Delta One product better than KE's Prestige Class, but I was disappointed that we will no longer be able to use the "Pay with Miles" option on Delta bookings from SIN to the US.

BenA Aug 4, 2019 10:54 pm

Just received my call. Now rebooked via ICN both ways, but with an 8 hour layover in ICN on the return. I don’t know that I’m thrilled about that, but I actually prefer it to a weirdly long layover, since it’s actually useful time, so I might be at peace with it.

Agent was friendly, but my request to rebook in a GUC-eligible fare class fell on deaf ears. Was hoping they could put me in an M fare so I could have a shot at using my GUC all the way if it clears; may pull the certificate and look out for a Premium Select buyup offer instead on the return.

FireEmblemPride Aug 4, 2019 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 31379893)
Or anywhere for that matter.

And as DL has shut down other locations entirely, for example FUK, the staff there have been simply laid off (I asked, and so was told - that the short notice period came as a shock to all of them).

What likely happened was that the FUK staff were offered positions elsewhere at DL - KIX, NGO, HND or NRT and the staff weren’t willing to move, so they accepted whatever DL offered them. US-style layoffs are extremely unusual in Japan.

PeggyJM Aug 5, 2019 12:52 am

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31380026)
Just received my call. Now rebooked via ICN both ways, but with an 8 hour layover in ICN on the return. I don’t know that I’m thrilled about that, but I actually prefer it to a weirdly long layover, since it’s actually useful time, so I might be at peace with it.

Agent was friendly, but my request to rebook in a GUC-eligible fare class fell on deaf ears. Was hoping they could put me in an M fare so I could have a shot at using my GUC all the way if it clears; may pull the certificate and look out for a Premium Select buyup offer instead on the return.

What fare class do you need in order to upgrade using a GUC on KE? Are the rules about fare class the same on KE if you want to use miles?

Akiestar Aug 5, 2019 1:31 am

Originally Posted by PeggyJM (Post 31380255)
What fare class do you need in order to upgrade using a GUC on KE? Are the rules about fare class the same on KE if you want to use miles?

Using GUCs on KE is similar to AF -- you need to be in fare classes Y, B or M to be upgraded to business class.