FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1981092-delta-exiting-nrt-ending-nrt-sin-moving-mnl-flight-icn.html)

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer (Post 31368656)
  1. No sterile transit.
  2. Transit without visa is only available to citizens of select countries.
  3. Some people perceive that there is a risk they may be detained by the Chinese authorities.

What do you mean by sterile transit?

Akiestar Aug 1, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31368737)
What do you mean by sterile transit?

Transit where you don't have to go through immigration. China has, in recent years, increasingly rolled out sterile transit at major connecting hubs. PEK and PVG are just two examples of airports with sterile transit, particularly when you're flying on the same airline (e.g. CA-CA for PEK or MU/FM-MU/FM for PVG).

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar (Post 31368740)
Transit where you don't have to go through immigration. China has, in recent years, increasingly rolled out sterile transit at major connecting hubs. PEK and PVG are just two examples of airports with sterile transit, particularly when you're flying on the same airline (e.g. CA-CA for PEK or MU/FM-MU/FM for PVG).

At PEK? Really? I didn't transit in PVG this year so I can't comment, but I had to transit at PEK this year. So this was part of one ticket where I flew AC YVR-PEK and then CA PEK-NKG. At PEK, I had to go through immigration. I filled out that yellow paper, went through immigration, grabbed my suitcase to check-in for the flight to NKG. If that's what you meant by sterile, then that's what not what I experienced earlier this year.

Btw, security at PEK is definitely more strict than PVG. I have never been to an airport in the world where I have to take out my DSLR and battery pack for scanning. At PEK, this is in addition to the usual laptop and tablet removal policy.

moondog Aug 1, 2019 6:09 pm

People are talking about I to I transit. PEK-NKG is a domestic flight.

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31368788)
People are talking about I to I transit. PEK-NKG is a domestic flight.

Oh...I'm sorry. Thx for letting me know. What if I did YVR-PEK and then PEK to HKG with CA, will I have to go through security and immigration?

KDCAflyer Aug 1, 2019 6:44 pm

The general point is that mainland China airports are a mess and you shouldn't transit through them unless it's the only option.

A rebook through ICN is the perfectly reasonable and you shouldn't get any resistance. Just be willing to stand up for yourself if you get a bad agent.

HkCaGu Aug 1, 2019 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31368867)
Oh...I'm sorry. Thx for letting me know. What if I did YVR-PEK and then PEK to HKG with CA, will I have to go through security and immigration?

Yes, a passport check (handled by an airline ground agent) and then security.

TerryK Aug 1, 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31368867)

Flights to/from HKG. MFM, TPE and KHH are international flights.

Akiestar Aug 1, 2019 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 31368881)
The general point is that mainland China airports are a mess and you shouldn't transit through them unless it's the only option.

A rebook through ICN is the perfectly reasonable and you shouldn't get any resistance. Just be willing to stand up for yourself if you get a bad agent.

They're a mess, yes, but an organized mess. While I won't compare PVG or PEK to, let's say, ICN or NRT, it's certainly better than many other airports, and I know what I'm getting when I pay $400 for, let's say, LAX-PVG-MNL rather than pay $200 more to transit through NRT, ICN, TPE or HKG.

I remember a time when China had absolutely no sterile transit while at the same time having TWOV. The situation now is much better than it was nine years ago.

FireEmblemPride Aug 1, 2019 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by arkangel (Post 31368708)
Just booked a CLT-NRT "mileage run" for late Nov. Is this now likely to be changed to HND?

No, the HND switch doesn't happen till the end of March, when the 2020 IATA summer season begins.

lsquare Aug 1, 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar (Post 31368911)
They're a mess, yes, but an organized mess. While I won't compare PVG or PEK to, let's say, ICN or NRT, it's certainly better than many other airports, and I know what I'm getting when I pay $400 for, let's say, LAX-PVG-MNL rather than pay $200 more to transit through NRT, ICN, TPE or HKG.

I remember a time when China had absolutely no sterile transit while at the same time having TWOV. The situation now is much better than it was nine years ago.

Sorry, I know it's a dumb question, but under which scenario will there will be sterile transit? My example obviously didn't fit.

travelinmanS Aug 1, 2019 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 31366755)
Do not let DL force you onto a ...... mainland China connection. It's either ICN or rebook on another airline.

MU and KE are about equal in terms of comfort in my mind. If a connection is better timed through PVG then I don’t see why you should turn it down. Transiting in Shanghai MU to DL is not difficult.

bigmadden Aug 1, 2019 8:01 pm

Indeed sad to see the end of NRT, I travel through there quite often and will often try to fly out of there instead of HND due to the Skyclub access. I can only hope that killing the TIAT lounge access for non-D1 in HND was the first step of a long-term strategy for lounge access at the airport. I think that there is no more space for new lounges in HND, but hopefully we'll be able to get a permanent partner lounge.

Well, I suppose for most people who want to have a destination in Tokyo, HND is the better option, although these days with all of the rapid-train options from NRT I think the actual time to get to the central districts is pretty similar.

craig44485 Aug 1, 2019 8:26 pm

Glad I shifted my TPAC travel to CX once I moved to the Philippines 7 years ago, DL was OK for getting back to the US, but having to go through NRT to connect to anywhere else in SE Asia was an issue, and made it harder to keep my DM status.

hikouki Aug 1, 2019 8:36 pm

Very sad about this news.

I live in Oregon. Many of my friends live in Portland or drive hours to PDX and fly from there to NRT and connect to Asia. As for me, I have done xxx-SEA-NRT-Asia. Both the PDX/SEA-NRT legs are quite short compared to others and makes flying, whether on Y or D1 much more manageable. I thoroughly enjoyed flying the short 8 hour run from NRT-SEA.

A year ago, I changed from CX/AA/AS to DL, because DL was offering the best flights to Asia, but I guess I will have to go back to flying AS domestically as they partner with JL and NH on the TYO flights. I even opened a SkyMiles credit card last February and I'm on track to reach gold by September. What a waste.

(I do wonder, with PDX losing is one-stop Asia connection, will other Asian carriers come to PDX?)