Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PM w/Amex Reserve vs. DM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I see people say this all the time, and I don't understand it.

Do people really believe that there is a significant constituency of people who both fly Delta enough to earn PM or DM status... and also believe that the *only* way that an FO could be sitting in First would be if they were upgraded (presumably ahead of said PM/DM)? These people fly 75k+ miles per year and haven't figured out that Delta will sell a First Class ticket to anyone willing to part with the money? Even FOs, and {gasp} people who aren't even Sky Miles members?

I'm not buying it.
Im FO because I refuse to use my Amex (prefer csr) and I fly ~35k miles a year. That being said, almost 50% of my flights are in F because I pay for it... and I don’t worry about not being any other tier because I don’t see what PLT or whatever gets me that I’m not already willing to pay for. 💡

I thought about putting my silver tags on my bags but then decided I didn’t want to deal with idiots telling me to get out of the DM/F boarding line.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo

It’s heavily route and time-dependent and I suspect a big part of the upgrade loss is concentrated on hub routes. I fly LAX-DTW a fair bit and my upgrade rate there is atrocious, but it’s probably at 90% on CRJ-with-first-class flights and 75% on non-hub routes. *shrug*
(That’s all referring to first class, of course; it’s rare I don’t get Comfort+.)
Are you referring to hub routes meaning hub to hub? Of course, those are harder to get. But they are also a very small percentage of the total flights. I fly pretty prime time.....Monday afternoons and Friday mornings, generally.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by indufan
Where did you read that here? It isn't true. DMs are routinely upgraded. My rate is in the neighborhood of 80% and yes, in fairness, that is down a little bit from a couple of years ago.
I’m a DM and my UG % is about 50%.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Are you referring to hub routes meaning hub to hub? Of course, those are harder to get. But they are also a very small percentage of the total flights. I fly pretty prime time.....Monday afternoons and Friday mornings, generally.
This is what I’m saying; it depends on your flight habits. HALF my domestic trips over the last couple years are LAX-DTW with a little CRJ for an hour or less, and upgrades on those routes have basically disappeared even compared to 2017, when I got several upgrades on that and similarly long semi-transcons. (I was number 8+ for 3 seats on both directions last weekend!) Most of the remaining flights are LAX-BOS.

When I fly more regionally (even LAX-SEA) my odds are much, much better. But that doesn’t help much given the low number of trips and is a lot lower value when I’m just hopping up to the Bay. Whereas those Diamonds who fly mostly point to point on smaller cities I’m sure have a great time.

So just because Delta rewards your travel habits with first-class upgrades doesn’t mean other elites see the same benefit in any measurable way. Be kind and don’t assume they’re whining.

(I’m not whining either — I really appreciate the consistent Comfort+ and exit rows and spend a lot more time on international flights where those benefits, lounge access, and GUCs dramatically improve life! Plus I just throw an RUC at every transcon and enjoy when they go through. )
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Appreciate all the responses. Based off of what I'm read, going to stay back at PM. DM is better because it is doesn't convince me much, and getting upgraded SJC-LAX or SJC-SEA doesn't help much when I'm flying JetSuiteX, WN, AS, for most of my West Coast routes in order to get BUR, BFI, or alternate airports. AS also has painfully cheap paid F SJC-BUR.

Gotta trip coming up on UA SFO-BNA, and paid F direct was cheaper than DL via SLC.

I really like DL, no question they're the best of the big 3, the credit card MQMs are amazing, and the VS partnership is super helpful for LHR. But not enough to inconvenience myself to get to the next level.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.