Airlines and Mileage Programs

Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles

PM w/Amex Reserve vs. DM

PM w/Amex Reserve vs. DM

Old Jul 23, 19, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
PM w/Amex Reserve vs. DM

About to hit Platinum and have a DL Amex Reserve. Will be close in both MQDs and MQMs.by the end of the year, but wondering if going for Diamond is worth it. From what I've read here, complimentary UGs are still few and far between and I'm not a big fan of the GUC/RUC lottery. I get SkyClub membership with the card, but wonder if there's something about Diamond that's worth a mileage run to lock it in for 2020.
Old Jul 23, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Platinum is to Diamond what hamburger is to Ribeye. Both are beef, but given the choice I know which one Id take.

That said, it would depend greatly upon what your 2020 travel plans look like. It would be a waste to reach DM only to squander it by not flying.

And yes, DM is worth it and is a very large step up from PM.

Bragtag-brandishing PMs make me giggle.
hjz131 and jeet like this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta. Marriott
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
Platinum is to Diamond what hamburger is to Ribeye. Both are beef, but given the choice I know which one Id take.

That said, it would depend greatly upon what your 2020 travel plans look like. It would be a waste to reach DM only to squander it by not flying.

And yes, DM is worth it and is a very large step up from PM.

I brandished the FO brag-tag until the loop broke. Seeing an FO in F irritates some DM/PM to no end and I live for that sort of thing. Is it petty? Sure. But I enjoy a good laugh when they complain.
Old Jul 23, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by SouthernCanada View Post
I brandished the FO brag-tag until the loop broke. Seeing an FO in F irritates some DM/PM to no end and I live for that sort of thing. Is it petty? Sure. But I enjoy a good laugh when they complain.
Id totally brandish an FO tag if I had one. Those who know would crack a smile.

Im also all for Kryptonium and Unobtanium tags.
NOLAnwGOLD and BHammy like this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi(2022 Amb), Hertz-PC
Mrs BHammy and I have been DM for the past 3-4 years. She's gotten used to the perks, but missed on DM last year, dropping her down to PM.
Gone are: CLEAR, SC Executive, GUCs, and a slew of non upgraded flights that I've gotten if booked separately (that I've given to her).

So this year, she's made sure that I book her with enough spend to get her back to DM.

But as TheHorta mentioned, depends on your routes and timing. Personally, we've had about 80% success with GUCs/RUCs. Nearly all of them waitlisted, but most came thru.
DM is worth it for us.
TheHorta and PotomacApproach like this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

Id totally brandish an FO tag if I had one. Those who know would crack a smile.

Im also all for Kryptonium and Unobtanium tags.
FO tags are making a comeback this year, so you might be able to snag one up.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
As others have noted, it depends on your travel patterns. For me the difference is significant. DM's get much better phone service. Much better help with IROPPS. And of course upgrades. Oddly where that matters the most is on the jungle jets that I fly from ILM to ATL. I hate row 1, but appreciate the free drinks. But if you know you will be light next year then rolling over 45k miles might be a better play.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
About to hit Platinum and have a DL Amex Reserve. Will be close in both MQDs and MQMs.by the end of the year, but wondering if going for Diamond is worth it. From what I've read here, complimentary UGs are still few and far between and I'm not a big fan of the GUC/RUC lottery. I get SkyClub membership with the card, but wonder if there's something about Diamond that's worth a mileage run to lock it in for 2020.
Note that with the Reserve card, you can either keep or gift your two 15,000 MQMs for $30,000 spend. If you don't decide within 90 days, the MQMs will be deposited in your account. You need to strategize about those MQMs in that if you decide to go for PM, you wouldn't want the MQMs to land and push you into DM and also you want them in the account where the rollover will be most beneficial.
Old Jul 24, 19, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernCanada View Post
I see people say this all the time, and I don't understand it.

Do people really believe that there is a significant constituency of people who both fly Delta enough to earn PM or DM status... and also believe that the *only* way that an FO could be sitting in First would be if they were upgraded (presumably ahead of said PM/DM)? These people fly 75k+ miles per year and haven't figured out that Delta will sell a First Class ticket to anyone willing to part with the money? Even FOs, and {gasp} people who aren't even Sky Miles members?

I'm not buying it.
Old Jul 24, 19, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
When I first became Silver I put my bag tag on my computer case, so that people would see it and give me the same respect and appreciation Delta gives to Silver Medallions. And it worked, they did!
TommyD2 and TheHorta like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
From what I've read here, complimentary UGs are still few and far between
Where did you read that here? It isn't true. DMs are routinely upgraded. My rate is in the neighborhood of 80% and yes, in fairness, that is down a little bit from a couple of years ago.
Old Jul 24, 19, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Where did you read that here? It isn't true. DMs are routinely upgraded. My rate is in the neighborhood of 80% and yes, in fairness, that is down a little bit from a couple of years ago.
Its heavily route and time-dependent and I suspect a big part of the upgrade loss is concentrated on hub routes. I fly LAX-DTW a fair bit and my upgrade rate there is atrocious, but its probably at 90% on CRJ-with-first-class flights and 75% on non-hub routes. *shrug*
(Thats all referring to first class, of course; its rare I dont get Comfort+.)
Old Jul 24, 19, 4:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
When I first became Silver I put my bag tag on my computer case, so that people would see it and give me the same respect and appreciation Delta gives to Silver Medallions. And it worked, they did!
Those FO brag tags help DMs to identify who should be carrying their luggage.
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Unless I'm missing something the first 15K MQM is with $30K spend. You get another 15K MQM after another $30K. Total 30K MQM with $60K spend

Do you have a different Reserve card?
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by krakendown View Post
Unless I'm missing something the first 15K MQM is with $30K spend. You get another 15K MQM after another $30K. Total 30K MQM with $60K spend

Do you have a different Reserve card?
This is correct. You get two 15,000 MQM for $30,000 spend (each): 2 X 15,000 MQMs and 2 X $30,000 spend.

Search this Thread