Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

So DL changes your incoming plane which gives you a MX delay too ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So DL changes your incoming plane which gives you a MX delay too ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by dgparent
EDI : Both App and DL say my incoming is still awaiting takeoff at MSP - Flightaware shows it at 29,000 feet and arriving in 40 mins. ... ???
I've had this happen before to me. In my case, Delta's app was correct (the flight departed but was stuck on the tarmac due to WX) and FlightAware erroneously showed the flight as en route. I would trust Delta's system more when there's a discrepancy like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Technically Delta's A0 performance is usually in the low 70's or high 60's (which further tells you that Delta doesn't pad schedules thaaat much... ) - that is what real on-time looks like. The DOT A14 is a bit of a scam if you ask me.
If the DOT called A0 on-time, then airlines would just add 14 minutes to their schedules

Albeit a bit out of date at this point, FiveThirtyEight did an interesting analysis on which airlines were likely to get you to your destination fastest, irrespective of scheduling. At the time, Delta was by far the fastest of the legacy airlines, but to be fair, both AA and UA were still in the thick of integrating after their mergers.

It also shows the impact of a particular airport on flight times. For example, ATL adds 4 minutes on average to departures, which makes it the 174th fastest airport out of 311 origin airports. Interestingly, but not surprisingly, Delta outperforms in ATL by 4 minutes, which shows that Delta is very effective at utilizing their home field advantage. In contrast, United was the worst performing airline at Newark despite controlling about 80% of domestic flights out of EWR.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dgparent
EDI : Both App and DL say my incoming is still awaiting takeoff at MSP - Flightaware shows it at 29,000 feet and arriving in 40 mins. ... ???
During one of the ATL meltdowns a year or two ago, Google showed (in the info panel that comes up when you just type a flight number into the generic web search form) that my flight had left and was en route when we clearly weren't anywhere close to even boarding. I'm guessing that for display purposes, some of these pages just assume everything is going fine unless they hear otherwise and sometimes the delay notification gets dropped.

(I think Flight Aware for example will try to interpolate/guesstimate an airplane's current position when it's outside tracking range, based on the filed flight plan, so there may be a similar effect going on here if it thinks the plane is actually in flight)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some airports, the monitors will automatically show "boarding" when it's time to board, regardless of whether the flight is even close to starting to board.

In addition, some airports (such as AMS) post that the flight is boarding when they are admitting passengers to a closed off gatehouse area, and it has nothing to do with whether passengers are yet permitted to enter the jetway and the aircraft. IMO the definition of boarding does not include being trapped in a holding pen unnecessarily early.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Pretty impressed actually, the pilot came on and said they had a MX problem in MSP that is why they were late, but even with that we were only about 2-5 mins late getting into MSP, no way AA makes that happen.

As for the app showing the plane was still in MSP and flight aware showing it over Lake Michigan the GA came on and said Delta must be having a IT problem because her monitor showed the plane was 15 mins out, which it was.

Overall waaay better performance than AA with its rolling delays and crappy GA's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.