Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T4-T2 Jitney

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
JFK T4-T2 Jitney

Quick question, and apologies if this is in the wrong place.
Flying BOS-JFK which arrives in T2. I am carrying-on my bag. Connecting to JFK-SIN on SQ (separate ticket). Will I be able to use the jitney, given that I won't have a boarding pass yet for the SQ flight (unless I can OLCI)? I've heard conflicting reports over the years so wanted to get an update.

Even if I can't OLCI, I'd still prefer to take the jitney versus the AirTrain and then leave security in T4 to check-in at the SQ desk, as I imagine that is faster than going through the AirTrain.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
While there have been reports of people being asked to show boarding passes, I don't think it's universal, and if you sound like you know where you want to go you probably won't get questioned. e.g. you can say "Sky Club" and they should direct you to the B20 bus (vs. the one going to the other end of B)

but I haven't been through JFK in a while so dunno how current this info is.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Quick question, and apologies if this is in the wrong place.
Flying BOS-JFK which arrives in T2. I am carrying-on my bag. Connecting to JFK-SIN on SQ (separate ticket). Will I be able to use the jitney, given that I won't have a boarding pass yet for the SQ flight (unless I can OLCI)? I've heard conflicting reports over the years so wanted to get an update.

Even if I can't OLCI, I'd still prefer to take the jitney versus the AirTrain and then leave security in T4 to check-in at the SQ desk, as I imagine that is faster than going through the AirTrain.
BP isn't needed for the Jitney. Just make sure to get on the one going to the low B gates. Otherwise you'll make an extra stop along the way. Also are you sure you arrive in T2? It can be T4, and if it's an RJ it for sure will be T4.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
BP isn't needed for the Jitney. Just make sure to get on the one going to the low B gates. Otherwise you'll make an extra stop along the way. Also are you sure you arrive in T2? It can be T4, and if it's an RJ it for sure will be T4.
Some of the agents are really strict on having boarding passes. I was getting on the Jitney one time and the person in front of me couldn't find their boarding pass and the agent made them go find a kiosk and print out another one. It's at LAX that they don't care if you have a BP. (not sure why they are at JFK) Also some RJ flights do still arrive at T2 (although 90% arrive at T4)
Old May 2, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Some of the agents are really strict on having boarding passes. I was getting on the Jitney one time and the person in front of me couldn't find their boarding pass and the agent made them go find a kiosk and print out another one. It's at LAX that they don't care if you have a BP. (not sure why they are at JFK) Also some RJ flights do still arrive at T2 (although 90% arrive at T4)
Never once been asked, nor seen anyone asked for one. If they do, just tell them you're getting it once you checkin with connecting airline.

Only time I've seen an RJ at T2 since expansion of T4 is when there wasn't a gate at T4 due to an issue.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Never once been asked, nor seen anyone asked for one. If they do, just tell them you're getting it once you checkin with connecting airline.

Only time I've seen an RJ at T2 since expansion of T4 is when there wasn't a gate at T4 due to an issue.
That person didn't seem like they flew a lot so they just complied and went to get another BP but I would have probably said that I would get it over at T4. I did a quick search and found two RJs arriving at T2 today from RDU and DCA.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Zorak
While there have been reports of people being asked to show boarding passes, I don't think it's universal, and if you sound like you know where you want to go you probably won't get questioned. e.g. you can say "Sky Club" and they should direct you to the B20 bus (vs. the one going to the other end of B)

but I haven't been through JFK in a while so dunno how current this info is.
I was in JFK last week, and the Delta staff who were standing at the entrances to the Jitney demanded to see your boarding pass before they let you on the shuttle. Why they were doing this, I don't know, unless Delta is trying to discourage inter-terminal touring.

If the OP is hassled by these people, he should tell them he is headed for the Virgin Clubhouse or the Swiss Airlnes Star Alliance Lounge in T4 (which he would have privileges at if he is flying in business or better), or if that doesn't work the SkyClub in T4, and get on the bus which terminates at B18, which is the closest point to the main entrance of T4 and to the other part of T4 where airlines like Virgin Atlantic and Singapore have their gates.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! Still debating how close of a connection I should cut it given its on separate tickets. One is a 4:30 hour connection, the other 2:15. 2:15 is tight if there any delays on BOS-JFK, but 4:30 is a drag as well. I read one report that they were able to get a boarding pass at the gate for SQ after connecting from a DL flight, avoiding the need to exit security. That said, I'll probably go with the earlier flight and still try the Jitney and report back.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
I was in JFK last week, and the Delta staff who were standing at the entrances to the Jitney demanded to see your boarding pass before they let you on the shuttle. Why they were doing this, I don't know, unless Delta is trying to discourage inter-terminal touring.

If the OP is hassled by these people, he should tell them he is headed for either the Singapore lounge or the SkyClub in T4, and get on the bus which terminates at B18, which is the closest point to the main entrance of T4 and to the other part of T4 where airlines like Virgin Atlantic and Singapore have their gates.
I wonder why they do this at JFK but not LAX? I've never tried this as I just typically use the SC from the terminal I am departing from, but I wonder if I didn't have a flight departing from T4 and I showed the agent my T2 BP and told them I was going to the SC if they would let me on the bus?
Old May 3, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I wonder why they do this at JFK but not LAX? I've never tried this as I just typically use the SC from the terminal I am departing from, but I wonder if I didn't have a flight departing from T4 and I showed the agent my T2 BP and told them I was going to the SC if they would let me on the bus?
In the days when they had the RJ Corral in T2, and I had a connecting flight out of T2 (such as DCA-JFK-PBI) but wanted to go over to the SkyDeck, I just told the people at the jitney entrance that I wanted to go over there and I never had a problem.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
In my experience, this (agents demanding BPs for the jitney) has been standard operating procedure at JFK for at least a couple months now. They used to just ask which gate you were going to.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Thank you all! Still debating how close of a connection I should cut it given its on separate tickets. One is a 4:30 hour connection, the other 2:15. 2:15 is tight if there any delays on BOS-JFK, but 4:30 is a drag as well. I read one report that they were able to get a boarding pass at the gate for SQ after connecting from a DL flight, avoiding the need to exit security. That said, I'll probably go with the earlier flight and still try the Jitney and report back.
They will likely ask for a boarding pass, although my sense is they do it more as a way to stop people from going to the wrong place than as a way to save the marginal 5 cents of fuel. I've bought a refundable ticket then cancelled it in the past, but if you're looking for a less expensive lie I'd recommend saying the folks in the T2 SkyClub said you had to go to the T4 SkyClub to get a massage treatment.

Also, 2:30 should be fine -- keep in mind you can literally drive between BOS and JFK in 4:30. The BOS-NYC flights usually have a good amount of padding, anyway. Even if you need to exit T2 (5 mins) take the airtrain (10 min) and brave security (30 min if you're unlucky), you've still got a 1:45 buffer.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
As recently as a couple of months ago, I've been able to take the Jitney from T2 -> T4 without showing my BP. The agents have always asked, but I think it's been more to make sure that you're going to the right place, and not because it's a requirement. Last time I said that I just wanted some Shake Shack, and they were more than happy to oblige. I'm sure if you said you were going to the T4 SkyClub, wanted to go shopping in T4 or whatever, they wouldn't have a problem.

I always play these things safe, so I'd say 4:30 would be more warranted than 2:30, but I'd bet that there is realistically a slim chance of you missing it with the shorter layover. the BOS-JFK flights are padded to hell and back, and it's a really short time in the air.
callmedtop likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think time of year, day of week, and time of day will likely factor into the likelihood of meaningful/significant delays on BOS-JFK, which is really the main consideration here regarding a 2h30 layover (as mentioned, padding is good and the connection itself is easy).

Sounds like this is an afternoon/evening flight connecting to SQ's FRA/SIN flight, and in the summer (call it June-mid-Sept) the risk of afternoon T-storms is relatively high and multi-hour delays are likely. You may be able to get on an earlier BOS-JFK flight if they're all delayed (though I imagine frequency is not like LGA), but if the T-storms roll in at 5pm or whatever, you could be screwed. If you have the flexibility such that if the forecast is hairy you can decide to train/bus/drive to JFK instead, (and you'll probably end up getting a refund on a severely delayed flight since it's a separate ticket), that might not be a bad backup plan.
callmedtop likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think time of year, day of week, and time of day will likely factor into the likelihood of meaningful/significant delays on BOS-JFK, which is really the main consideration here regarding a 2h30 layover (as mentioned, padding is good and the connection itself is easy).

Sounds like this is an afternoon/evening flight connecting to SQ's FRA/SIN flight, and in the summer (call it June-mid-Sept) the risk of afternoon T-storms is relatively high and multi-hour delays are likely. You may be able to get on an earlier BOS-JFK flight if they're all delayed (though I imagine frequency is not like LGA), but if the T-storms roll in at 5pm or whatever, you could be screwed. If you have the flexibility such that if the forecast is hairy you can decide to train/bus/drive to JFK instead, (and you'll probably end up getting a refund on a severely delayed flight since it's a separate ticket), that might not be a bad backup plan.
Yeah, spot-on analysis. We're flying in late June, and I too am worried about summer thunderstorms leading to serious delays. There are no BOS-JFK flights other than the two in question, and the later flight is actually a 2:15 connection, not 2:30 like I previously said. Given the risk of weather, even with the padding, that is leading me to likely choose the earlier flight. Add in mid-week traffic on the drive to JFK that we would have to deal with (right at rush hour), that makes the decision a little easier.

Thanks to everyone. I didn't want to make this a "will I make this connection" thread, as those are not appropriate for dedicated airline forums IMO, but the information on the Jitney was very helpful. Curious to see what happens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.