Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta BS; How Much More Can Expect

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Delta BS; How Much More Can Expect

So I booked (and paid for) first class tickets on Delta from Honolulu to St. Louis through Minneapolis specifically because the HNL-MSP flight was in Delta One. Within two weeks, Delta cancelled the HNL-MSP flight and re-booked me on a HNL-LAX-MSP-STL flight that clearly didn't include Delta One class service on any leg of the flight. I've now re-booked on a HNL-SLC-STL flight where the first segment is again in Delta One class, but am now pretty sure they're going to pull another bait and switch (at least once) and eventually I will be forced to sit away from my wife (no seats together available at this late date, sir) or will be relegated to standard domestic first class at the last minute. Am I overreacting or am I right to be concerned?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Jestocost
So I booked (and paid for) first class tickets on Delta from Honolulu to St. Louis through Minneapolis specifically because the HNL-MSP flight was in Delta One. Within two weeks, Delta cancelled the HNL-MSP flight and re-booked me on a HNL-LAX-MSP-STL flight that clearly didn't include Delta One class service on any leg of the flight. I've now re-booked on a HNL-SLC-STL flight where the first segment is again in Delta One class, but am now pretty sure they're going to pull another bait and switch (at least once) and eventually I will be forced to sit away from my wife (no seats together available at this late date, sir) or will be relegated to standard domestic first class at the last minute. Am I overreacting or am I right to be concerned?
probably overreacting, tbh. The MSP flight is seasonal.
jaimemayo, tvnwz, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:26 pm

To clarify, you were booked HNL-MSP-STL in D1-F, and then due to a schedule change got another itinerary. Upon speaking with Delta, they got you HNL-SLC-STL which is also D1-F. Is that correct? If so, it sounds like they got you back on an equivalent (better?) routing. I would say they've held up their end of the bargain. Could things go sour again..... sure? But wait to cry wolf until there's an actual problem.
hockeystl, tvnwz and TheHorta like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Sounds like you are over-reacting. If they do cancel your SLC flight, you'll have the option of a full refund or likely could get rebooked on another flight with D1. Schedules are more reliable the closer you get to departure, so it is less and less likely to have an issue as time passes.

The issue you've had was resolved to your satisfaction once (and probably on a better route now anyway, not sure if the aircraft is preferable or not). I'm not sure why you are so certain it won't be resolved if it happens again. I don't know why you think it was 'BS', seems like they've taken care of you.

In any case there is no benefit to being concerned and worried for things out of your control, just keep an eye on your flights in case anything changes.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
also, Delta's contract with you is to get you from your origin to your destination in the fare class you purchased. there is no guarantee about sitting next to your spouse or other things that are 'nice to have' for you. sitting next to someone in a D1 cabin other than a 767 doesn't mean much anyway as you aren't side by side
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They almost certainly had no foreknowledge that they were going to end up reducing the MSP-HNL schedule when you booked the flight. While the auto-rebooker probably could handled things better and have looked at other D1 options, I don't see any evidence of a "bait and switch" (which would imply they knew forehand they were not going to fly those MSP-HNL flights and were just using them to "bait" you into buying them knowing they would end up putting you on flights with no D1 cabin).
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
While HNL-SLC may be on a D1 equipped plane, it’s not full D1 service and is just considered domestic FC. Full D1 service is only available on HNL-ATL/JFK/DTW/MSP, although all of them but ATL are all seasonal.
rickintul likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
If you are truly concerned about D1 service, i would tell them to put you on the HNL-ATL flight.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by gitismatt
also, Delta's contract with you is to get you from your origin to your destination in the fare class you purchased. there is no guarantee about sitting next to your spouse or other things that are 'nice to have' for you. sitting next to someone in a D1 cabin other than a 767 doesn't mean much anyway as you aren't side by side
There’s always the one CoC post... I'd like to think, on a paid D1 ticket, they might go a bit above and beyond their contractual obligation in the event of a schedule change like this. The fact is, D1 and domestic first are materially different classes of service, and OP paid for the former. Furthermore, it’s a bit concerning that OP effectively got downgraded without any proactive communication or offer of compensation - he/she had to notice it and call in to get it resolved. I’d tend to agree that’s BS.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
If you are truly concerned about D1 service, i would tell them to put you on the HNL-ATL flight.
This...why not push for a re-route onto the HNL - ATL flight (unless it was fully booked) or HNL - DTW (if operating the dates you are flying)?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Just cancel now for a full refund and be done. No point sticking with an airline that you are pretty sure will not provide the expected service.

There certainly are options for airlines that will not ever downgrade from a true business class. WN is a fine example.

Alternatively you might expect that despite having been victim of the occasional cancel/schedule change, you will fly as expected in D1.

Your are free to expect whatever you want.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Jestocost
Schedule changes happen but knowledge is power and it’s a matter of knowing what the alternatives are. HNL-ATL is also D1 up front and DL shouldn’t give any pushback if you call and ask to be put on HNL-ATL-STL due to the schedule change. If an agent at first pushes back, first remind them that HNL-MSP was in paid D1 and if that still fails, ask for a supervisor.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:50 pm

ask to be put on destinations that offer D1 products. delta recently changed aircraft from PVG to SEA from the new 330-NEO back to old 767. they called and offered me $500 voucher. i did not want to be in that old beat up 767 so i asked to be re-routed via a different city. it was done within a few minutes. no hassles. just call them and ask them to change it for you if you want the real D1 product.
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Both the voucher and the ticket change were above and beyond for an aircraft change. Aircraft type isn't guaranteed in DL's CoC, nor does USA DOT require any compensation.

The case of the OP is different because it's a genuine downgrade in cabin, with the original flight commanding higher fares.
craig44485 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:27 am

Would anyone really add several hours to their flight just to get a slightly better airline meal?
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.