Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 275 diverted for DYKWIA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We don't know what happened in this particular situation beyond what the OP reported. In fact, some of that information was based on statements that a FA made, which might or might not be accurate. [FAs have been known to make up stuff and lie to passengers, including telling customers that all connecting flights will be held.]

Flight diverted, one passenger was removed, and no law enforcement officers were observed to be involved.

The same observations applied to a UA flight very recently where a UM was removed for having been put onto the wrong flight to the wrong country. AFAIK no one has suggested that the young man was drunk.
Had such an incident happened at the gate or onboard before takeoff, I’d be more likely to believe that. When it happens about halfway into a 12-13 hour flight, I’m more apt to believe someone was taking full advantage of the complementary liquor policy and was just being a drunk moron.
strickerj and nancypants like this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jul 6, 2019 at 9:23 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Very unlikely that a FA provided full details to another passenger. That is quite intentional and quite appropriate.

You can be assured that a diversion involved more than a passenger's request to be reseated in D1 or any other issue which can be dealt with at NRT just as effectively as at ANC.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Often1
You can be assured that a diversion involved more than a passenger's request to be reseated in D1 or any other issue which can be dealt with at NRT just as effectively as at ANC.
Exactly, 14-hour long hauls divert when situations continue to escalate (or are unable to be de-escalated to satisfaction) as the flight progresses. At some point, all the stakeholders (pilot and inflight crew onboard, sector manager, corporate security, flight ops and in-flight mgmt, maintenance mgmt on the ground) have to decide if the concerns have been mitigated enough to let the flight continue or not.

The notion that this guy "demanded an upgrade" once, and the flight attendant blew it out of proportion and had the captain divert the airplane is laughable. They were already past ANC when they turned around- any further along the route and you are just eating into your remaining crew duty period, so it becomes a huge decision / risk because you will probably time out your crew in ANC. As another poster pointed out, F276 NRT-DTW and F583 DTW-PVG were both 4 hours late because of the cascade effect, so nearly 900 people were affected because of this one clown. The decision to divert is not one taken lightly in the international theater.

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I, for one ... am envious of the DTW-ANC-NRT line that you can add to your Flug Memoriam whether it be Flight Memory, Open Flights, or Flight Diary.
not quite as good as my DTW-YEG-NRT line from a few years ago (also on flight 275, btw) ... that one was for a medical diversion. Unfortunately this came at the expense of the NRT-PVG line because we misconnected. A line which I still do not have, and never will (at least on DL). I guess diversions giveth and diversions taketh away!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:10 pm

I was on flight. We were told it was a "medical emergency"

I was on SIN mileage run and got off in ANC...I knew I would miss connection, so elite line booked me flight home.
CO-PLAT, ryandc99 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I was on flight. We were told it was a "medical emergency"

I was on SIN mileage run and got off in ANC...I knew I would miss connection, so elite line booked me flight home.
So did you get the ORC without having to go all the way? Or a trip in vain refund to try another day?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Following up,
Definitely saw the silver ligning in adding DTW-ANC-NRT to my flight diary lol
Tokyo was my final destination so not a huge deal for me, but I heard alot of upset passengers talking about missed connections.

The passenger in question was met by Law Enforcement when he got off the plane.

The passenger did not look overtly inebriated, but they did not look fully there mentally (crazy eyes) but could just be my perception.

This information came from FA and later one of pilots confirmed. Passengers refusal to cooperate with flight crew and general suspicious/disruptive behavior is why plane turned around and went to Anchorage.
FAs kept commenting on fact Passenger was also of middle eastern decent, though prob wasnt relevant.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
So did you get the ORC without having to go all the way? Or a trip in vain refund to try another day?
trip in vain
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I'm wondering what the whole story is. I can't imagine someone just deciding to demand a D1 seat, especially when the D1 cabin is full. Was the guy downgraded at the gate? Did he have a GUC fail to clear and then saw a nonrev get a D1 seat? Or did he see the relief pilot resting in a D1 seat and misunderstand the situation? Did DL kick him out of a confirmed D1 seat to create space for a must fly mechanic? [A different TPAC flight had mechanical problems on July 3rd, so it's possible that a mechanic was needed in Tokyo. I also know that westbound TPAC flights on July 4th were surprisingly full in D1.] Or did he ask the purser why he wasn't upgraded and the purser decided to go on a power trip?
You're assuming people are reasonable?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Though facts are sketchy, one can assume he did take a seat other than in D1 when he boarded and for some time while in the air.

Whole thing does not make sense.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:00 am

I was a few seats ahead

My family and I were just a few seats ahead of this passenger. He was calm when asked to leave by a delta employee, but perhaps a bit unsurprised, asking just “should I take my bag?” when asked to leave. I didn’t see law enforcement on the plane. I did overhear someone say “why didn’t he just go to the bathroom?”. Could he have been doing something he should not have been doing in his seat? Unseemly behavior (& likely illegal) may be a reason to divert a plane to throw a passenger off, especially nowadays.

Last edited by Shevek57; Jul 17, 2019 at 7:04 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Shevek57
My family and I were just a few seats ahead of this passenger. He was calm when asked to leave by a delta employee, but perhaps a bit unsurprised, asking just “should I take my bag?” when asked to leave. I didn’t see law enforcement on the plane. I did overhear someone say “why didn’t he just go to the bathroom?”. Could he have been doing something he should not have been doing in his seat? Unseemly behavior (& likely illegal) may be a reason to divert a plane to throw a passenger off, especially nowadays.
do you think he knew he was the "medical emergency" when the captain announced it??
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
do you think he knew he was the "medical emergency" when the captain announced it??
I could not tell either way. I did not in particular notice this passenger or any discussions between him and the flight crew before he was asked to leave. I will say that we received two messages I remember from the pilot. That we are being diverted due to a “security issue from the cockpit” and due to a “medical issue”, neither of which jibes with what I saw.

After my post, my family reminded me that a couple of official looking people (airport personnel? TSA?) came aboard after the passenger left. They seemed to be cleaning up the person’s seat area and removing anything left by him.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Shevek57

I could not tell either way. I did not in particular notice this passenger or any discussions between him and the flight crew before he was asked to leave. I will say that we received two messages I remember from the pilot. That we are being diverted due to a “security issue from the cockpit” and due to a “medical issue”, neither of which jibes with what I saw.

After my post, my family reminded me that a couple of official looking people (airport personnel? TSA?) came aboard after the passenger left. They seemed to be cleaning up the person’s seat area and removing anything left by him.
I never heard anything on intercom about "security issue from cockpit"...I only heard 2 announcements about medical emergency.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM
The OP didn't say that the FA said anything about alcohol being an issue, even though several people seem eager to assume here that the problem was a drunk passenger.
Perhaps we should be more like MSP and just assume the issue is a "problem non-rev"
nancypants and WillBarrett_68 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.