Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Improving International Main Cabin Starting in Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Improving International Main Cabin Starting in Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by runningformqm
i agree, hope they have an option for 1 tray dining...it also looks like less food (no cheese, bread, etc)
I don't mind the multiple courses--in fact prefer it--but even if the portions are larger than currently this does indeed seem to be less food overall. They've replaced the "snack" that sometimes came with first drink service with the first course of the meal, they've taken away the separate salad, and as noted above the cheese, crackers, and bread are gone, too. Granted that initial snack with the first drink was often not offered (going straight to the meal), but the rest always was.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I know it's a pilot program but for meal service to take "an hour longer than usual" is pretty tedious, especially for those in the back of the bus. I like how D1 has the single tray service if you want to get to sleep (great for US->EU redeyes), and while I think that would be too challenging for economy as an option, honestly I'd rather it stay single tray (with two drink services, still). I may be in the minority.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:45 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Gig103
I know it's a pilot program but for meal service to take "an hour longer than usual" is pretty tedious, especially for those in the back of the bus.
I have a feeling there will be big changes to the service flow before it's rolled out more. I am sure most FAs are going to hate the extra work. And it sounds like it's just too long to have carts constantly blocking the aisles in coach.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:59 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
I know it's a pilot program but for meal service to take "an hour longer than usual" is pretty tedious, especially for those in the back of the bus. I like how D1 has the single tray service if you want to get to sleep (great for US->EU redeyes), and while I think that would be too challenging for economy as an option, honestly I'd rather it stay single tray (with two drink services, still). I may be in the minority.
On one hand it sounds like a nicer passenger experience, but I'd really like at least an option (maybe specified at check in?) to get the whole meal on a single tray. Sometimes in Y on the long hauls I similarly just want to eat quickly and sleep, or get some stuff done on my laptop, and don't want to be waiting around for the next course to come around.

Also if the carts are blocking the aisles for longer, it might mean that more people will have to wait to use the lavs until post-meal service, leading to longer lines.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I like the idea of pre-meal full beverage service with the snack, then maybe they come around a 2nd time with the App and main all on one plate with another beverage service. Then if people don't care they can skip the ice cream service and go to sleep or work. If you don't like to wait around then you have 2 chances to get a drink and get the food you would expect.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Sounds like I may be in the minority here, but although the idea of dinner taking an hour longer than before to complete is less than attractive, I will take a non-single tray meal ANY day of the week. Y is incredibly cramped, with zero elbow room to move. Trying to cut a piece of chicken with the plastic utensils without spilling all of the accompanying sauce or elbowing my seatmate results in me looking like I'm doing the chicken dance in my seat. Part of that is the fact that your are limited in how you can position the items in your tray because of how full it is. By serving the starter separately, this would help alleviate those issues.

I'll also that say while I watch plenty of people eating while watching their IFE with their headphones in, this has always seemed even more challenging for me. Having a slightly less full tray table might make that a little less tricky of an endeavor.

As far as smaller portions... I'm not a little guy by any means, and even I find the current portions in Y to be excessively large. I'll take reduced portion sizes and increased quality, thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Nutritional value can also be deceiving. While there is not a separate salad, that salad was really just a small pile of iceberg lettuce with a tomato and some dressing. That's mostly just empty calories from the dressing. Same with the bread and crackers. Sure you feel full, but you've mostly just eaten a lot of white flour (which is basically like sugar to your body) and oil.

In the meal pictured in the trip report, they start with a quinoa salad with veggies. Quinoa has excellent nutrient density (vitamins, minerals not to mention protein and healthy whole carb). Then the main meals look like they are much higher ingredient quality--again with more nutrients per calorie. So it's important to not just look at food quantity in terms of how much physical space food takes up, but rather, what nutritional value the food is providing. It seems clear to me that the new meals win in this way.

If anyone is interested, nutritional density is a way that some nutritionists are encouraging people to think about eating, rather than the focus on carbs/fat/protein.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The cosmopolitan elites here want their 5,000 calorie applebees supersize bucket, and they don't want to hear about your effete librul queeno
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Delta International Main Cabin Upgrade Starting November 2019

According to a recent news article (https://news.delta.com/welcome-cockt...-international), more upgrades to main cabin will begin in November of this year (2019) on flights over 6.5 hours and select shorter D1 flights. Some highlights include welcome cocktails in Y, a second hot towel service, and welcome chocolates (i.e, more work for FAs)

I really do appreciate what Delta has been doing recently for those who fly in Y often. Still the best US long-haul carrier in my eyes. If they gave us the option to get desert with the main meal, I would like that better, especially on "short" East Coast - Europe flights where many people want to get as much sleep as possible.

Anyway, here is their propaganda image:

Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM
There is a reason Delta draws a revenue premium over other US carriers. Nice to see them building on this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Nice that Delta is stepping up its game in long haul economy, which is where most passengers fly. Execution will be key.

Delta will need to address two challenges:
1) Completing the service in a timely manner
2) Getting the flight attendants to agree - they may not be happy about doing more work
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Austin787
Nice that Delta is stepping up its game in long haul economy, which is where most passengers fly. Execution will be key.

Delta will need to address two challenges:
1) Completing the service in a timely manner
2) Getting the flight attendants to agree - they may not be happy about doing more work
Agreed all around.

Although the greeting in the gatehouse seems unnecessary and hokey.

Also I hope the bellinis will be available in D1 also
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This is all great IMO.....keep up the great work Delta!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Wonder if this will take place on the trans-cons. I've been presently surprised by the Y meal service on BOS-SEA as well as the great upgrades to the aircrafts. I can't remember the last time I got a flight with the old IFE.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Now these are welcome changes. Good job Delta.
AANYC1981 and Traveler_boy_25 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.