Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
There's no longer any link planned. The old airport will close completely the same day the new one opens. The new airport will open with the Western half of concourses A and B, which will be connected by a temporary tunnel. There will be a gate shortage for the first year, but it makes the project dramatically cheaper. They are counting on Covid to help with the gate shortage (along with some bus gates)
Are you sure that's still the plan? I thought B construction was running a few months behind A. The "demolish it all at once" plan was discussed before SLC became Delta's fastest-recovering hub. I have a hard time believing half of Concourse A will have anywhere near enough gates for Delta, let alone all carriers.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Are you sure that's still the plan? I thought B construction was running a few months behind A. The "demolish it all at once" plan was discussed before SLC became Delta's fastest-recovering hub. I have a hard time believing half of Concourse A will have anywhere near enough gates for Delta, let alone all carriers.
Looks like you're right, the latest plan appears to be a 1-month transition period during which old and new will work together. Still dramatically shorter than the original transition period which was more than a year. But indeed it's no longer an instantaneous switchover as they had discussed recently.

Even with A and B open in October, I think bus gates are going to be the new normal for a while, as they rush to tear down the old airport
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:23 am
Original Poster

The new Concourse B now has an opening date: Tuesday, October 27th.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I confirmed with SLC that the plan has indeed changed for the existing terminal. Concourses G, F and C will remain operational for some time. Concourse E has, in fact, already been demolished and D will follow soon.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:26 pm

I'm in and out of SLC frequently, didn't mind the old airport/terminal, but who would turn down an upgrade! Does anyone know the plan for retail and restaurant in the new concourses?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 42fly
I'm in and out of SLC frequently, didn't mind the old airport/terminal, but who would turn down an upgrade! Does anyone know the plan for retail and restaurant in the new concourses?

Retail Stores - First Phase

There will be approximately 45,335 sq. ft. of retail concession space in The New SLC (compared to approximately 25,000 sq. ft. in the current airport). All concessions will have street pricing.
  • Phase 1: Approximately 30,781 sq. ft.
  • Phase 2: Approximately 14,554 sq. ft.
Click here for a list of retail stores coming in Phase 1, and click here to see their locations.

Food & Beverage Restaurants - First Phase

There will be approximately 75,140 sq. ft. of food and beverage space in The New SLC (compared to approximately 49,836 sq. ft in the current airport).
  • Phase 1: Approximately 46,734 sq. ft.
  • Phase 2: Approximately 28,406 sq. ft.
Click here for a list of Food and Beverage options coming in Phase 1, and click here to see their locations.
I'm eager to try the Shake Shack. Somehow, I have never been to one before.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:51 pm

I just noticed confirmation of a 2,000 sq ft Skydeck. I had heard rumors of that, but I don't think I had seen it confirmed. Along with a 3x larger Skyclub

https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/the...lc-fact-sheet/
Zorak likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I just noticed confirmation of a 2,000 sq ft Skydeck. I had heard rumors of that, but I don't think I had seen it confirmed. Along with a 3x larger Skyclub

https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/the...lc-fact-sheet/
Will it just be the one lounge in the headhouse/concourse A? That's for sure plenty for now, but in a few years' time when there's more activity it may be a haul for people with connections entirely in B...
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Will it just be the one lounge in the headhouse/concourse A? That's for sure plenty for now, but in a few years' time when there's more activity it may be a haul for people with connections entirely in B...
It will be the world's largest SkyClub. A is eventually going to have 47 gates so DL may move out of B down the road. At one point Delta had more than 60 gates in SLC but I think those days are probably over for a long time. Not just because of the pandemic but because of changes in aircraft type. SLC has become much more of a large RJ/mainline hub than it used to be.

I listened to a meeting with the SLC Airport Director recently and he mentioned many of the shops/restaurants planned for A and B will not open on time due to the pandemic. The concessionaires don't believe there will be enough traffic to support what was once planned.
Mountain Explorer likes this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Aug 6, 2020 at 8:03 am
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:04 am

I've only flown in/out of SLC a handful of times, but I really liked the airport compared to the dumpy EWR. Been following this thread for awhile and like what I'm seeing for the new airport!

Completely random but SLC-related sidenote, does anyone know the style/font used on the signs inside the airport? They screamed 90s to me and was curious if there was any info out there about them
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cerps343
I've only flown in/out of SLC a handful of times, but I really liked the airport compared to the dumpy EWR. Been following this thread for awhile and like what I'm seeing for the new airport!

Completely random but SLC-related sidenote, does anyone know the style/font used on the signs inside the airport? They screamed 90s to me and was curious if there was any info out there about them
Funny, because I've never particularly liked SLC, but could never really put a finger on why. But on a recent trip through there I wondered if one reason might be the signage -- it does look like one of the standard airport sign typefaces, but it's in italics, and the weird color scheme (vs. more common yellow/black).

Definitely seems like a silly/small thing for me to get hung up on but maybe it's just a visceral reaction...
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cerps343
No idea but all indications are the hokey turquoise signage has only 40 days left.
Zorak likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:31 pm

Here's the new signage. Including a clear indication that concourses C, D, F, G are sticking around for a bit

DLASflyer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:35 pm

And a great overview of the layout, old and new!!
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airport held a grand opening Tuesday for a new facility ... called the Central Receiving and Distribution Center. It comes just in time for the Sept. 15 opening of the first phase of the new $4.1 billion airport, which has essentially been built on top of and to the side of the existing airport.

“Every good that goes into the secure side of the airport will eventually be processed and screened through this facility,” Wyatt said. “This year, we’ll have 58 ... restaurants and shops that will be coming online over a period of time. All of them will be served from this facility.”

That includes using X-ray machines to examine everything, and reloading goods onto trucks operated by a new contractor, Bradford Air Logistics. It operates similar receiving and distribution centers at 20 other U.S. airports and at London’s Heathrow.

According to the article, this level of security did not exist at the old airport. Delivery trucks from various suppliers drove on the airside of the airport directly to the backs of the terminals to deliver stuff to the shops. Now, they go to the central warehouse and Bradford's trucks (shown above) will make the final deliveries to the shops. The drivers will have special training and be vetted.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...l-stop-unsafe/
Mountain Explorer likes this.

Last edited by amanuensis; Aug 11, 2020 at 5:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.