Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Global Upgrades-return to US from Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, mariott, national

Hello All,

I have been trying to use my GUC's this year and I find on the US leg I check in and I am shown on the UG list as normal. When returning it seems the UG list doesn't work at all.
A few weeks ago returning AMS-ATL the seat map and UG list did not work, I checked with the agent and check in and she said I was on the list and only one seat left. I didn't hear anything at the gate so boarded normally. When they scanned my ticket it said 'ticket problem' and they sent me to the gate agent. She handed me an upgraded seat to Delta one, she said I was lucky the flight was overbooked. So that was an op-up and I was not charged for the GUC, lucky for me.

Now I am returning on another trip from CDG-ATL and the seat map again is locked, upgrade / standby shows all seats on the plane open, so this is not working.

I understand these flights are administered by the local airline, AF in this case. So finally my question, are these airlines like AF or KLM actively taking care of GUC's?

Have any of you had luck using them on the return flight? Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start by reading the current rules for GUC-supported day of departure upgrades from CDG. Flights exCDG normally go under AF airport control at about T-48, so you cannot change seats etc. at this time on delta.dumb, although I've never tried to experiment with the AF website (where you do OLCI for an exCDG TATL ticket) for this purpose.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, mariott, national
I went on the AF app and after re-entering some info I now have a boarding pass for 11G which is premium select, Delta had me in 34c C+. Why, I am in PS I have no idea but it's better than C+. I hope I don't get charged a GUC for PS.

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TimAtl
I went on the AF app and after re-entering some info I now have a boarding pass for 11G which is premium select, Delta had me in 34c C+. Why, I am in PS I have no idea but it's better than C+. I hope I don't get charged a GUC for PS.

Thanks
Did you request that your GUC be used for a PS upgrade?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TimAtl

Thanks
A GUC can be used to upgrade to either D1 or PS. Its possible then agent upgraded you to PS using your GUC. Make sure now, once you fly, if it was used you'll have a very hard time getting it back.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Fyi... per the GUC terms, day of departures go to the airport upgrade list like you're expecting when departing from the US.
When you are in Europe, there is no airport upgrade list for GUCs....
Airport standby is not available on Air France, KLM, Virgin Atlantic, Korean Air or Aeromexico operated flights as well as Delta operated flights originating from AMS and CDG.
So if you want an upgrade, it would have to clear prior to day of departure, otherwise you'd have to see an agent during check in and have them apply it at the airport. There is no upgrade list at the gate.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Fyi... per the GUC terms, day of departures go to the airport upgrade list like you're expecting when departing from the US.
When you are in Europe, there is no airport upgrade list for GUCs....

So if you want an upgrade, it would have to clear prior to day of departure, otherwise you'd have to see an agent during check in and have them apply it at the airport. There is no upgrade list at the gate.
There is for DL flights not ex-CDG/AMS.
Grouchy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.