Wiki Posts
Search

The movie "Grease" on Delta IFE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
The movie "Grease" on Delta IFE

So I admit I am a child of the 70s and I have watched Grease at least a dozen times. While flying, often have a movie on the IFE while I am working (as background music).

So I am watching the movie today...and could have sworn the Rizzo/Knicke drive in scene and Grease Lighting song were more explict.

Was I just not listening as a kid, are my headphones good enough for me to hear the actual lyrics, or is there another version of the movie I am not aware of?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by navi_jen
So I admit I am a child of the 70s and I have watched Grease at least a dozen times. While flying, often have a movie on the IFE while I am working (as background music).

So I am watching the movie today...and could have sworn the Rizzo/Knicke drive in scene and Grease Lighting song were more explict.

Was I just not listening as a kid, are my headphones good enough for me to hear the actual lyrics, or is there another version of the movie I am not aware of?
Can't speak to this movie specifically but some of the prints that are delivered to DL and other airlines from various studios have some pretty silly content edits made. Typically these were made for TV broadcast and in the old days when there would be one movie shown to everyone. There's no rhyme or reason to it, considering you can hear 800 swear words in one movie and the next one you start has the "PG" overdubs of people saying things like "mother hecker."
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
I watched Risky Business on the IFE and it had a good bit of nudity, not edited for TV.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by navi_jen

I watched it on a DL plane last year, and didn’t notice any difference
I am a fan of this movie, too
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA for edited out a scene in a James Bond film because it featured (briefly) Sir Richard Branson and they also obscured a VS tail fin in the same film!

Not all edits are for language / nudity etc etc!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
A couple of years ago I was watching the Truman Show on (I think) United. There is a scene where Truman goes to a travel agent who has a poster on his wall with a plane crashing and a big banner saying something to the effect of IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. (it makes sense in the context of the film!)

Anyway...I noticed they actually cut out that imagery!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've watched Tour de Pharmacy with all its nudity/scenes/etc.. onboard. (Comedic fake documentary film with Andy Samberg and others)
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
In Rain Man the main characters must travel cross country. The Dustin Hoffman character refuses to fly because the only airline to never have a crash was Qantas and that airline didn't fly that route. That scene was cut from airplane versions of the movie so the decision to drive instead of fly made no sense to anybody watching the film for the first time while on a plane.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by DrMaturin
In Rain Man the main characters must travel cross country. The Dustin Hoffman character refuses to fly because the only airline to never have a crash was Qantas and that airline didn't fly that route. That scene was cut from airplane versions of the movie so the decision to drive instead of fly made no sense to anybody watching the film for the first time while on a plane.
“The first rule of Fight Club is, never talk about Fight Club.”
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once in the same month, during the days when movies were shown on overhead screens, I watched "Trading Places" on both KLM and PMNW. The KLM version showed a topless woman (IIRC a hooker) but the PMNW version omitted that scene. I thought it was funny.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Once in the same month, during the days when movies were shown on overhead screens, I watched "Trading Places" on both KLM and PMNW. The KLM version showed a topless woman (IIRC a hooker) but the PMNW version omitted that scene. I thought it was funny.
Played by the wonderful Jamie Lee Curtis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.