Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many days before departure should you look to find a free AMEX companion ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many days before departure should you look to find a free AMEX companion ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I was wondering if there was a window that opens up and flights are added at a certain date before your intended departure date when you want to use the free companion ticket benefit from the AMEX Platinum credit card?
I was thinking of flying around the first weekend of August FLL-SFO, have been checking daily for 2 months and cannot find anything. Are there tricks to grab these free companion seats?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I was wondering if there was a window that opens up and flights are added at a certain date before your intended departure date when you want to use the free companion ticket benefit from the AMEX Platinum credit card?
I was thinking of flying around the first weekend of August FLL-SFO, have been checking daily for 2 months and cannot find anything. Are there tricks to grab these free companion seats?
They are not a special inventory, just certain fare classes. If you have been checking for two months that seems strange to me as I've never had an issue using them. I suggest you call and ask about it. They should transfer you to the promotions desk who can double check the availability.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I don't think that there's any "magic" window. You just have to find flights that have the appropriate inventory, L or lower, I believe.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Also keep in mind I think you must book at least 14 days in advance. I seem to recall this being an issue when I looked close in.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Yeah, no real trick to it other than it must be booked in one of the lower fare classes. Sometimes only a subset of those buckets is available, but I've never had an issue booking a month or more out.

Just checking, but you're not trying to do anything wonky like an open jaw or something, right? Cert only works on boring vanilla RT tickets in the US48.

If you have specific dates I'm happy to search using mine and at least tell you if maybe there's a website bug with your account/cert somehow. (I don't know why there would be, but DL IT is filled with creative minds these days.)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:41 pm

There must be LUT space available in main cabin for Platinum cert. For Reserve cert you can also use W or one of the discounted F classes.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
There must be LUT space available in main cabin for Platinum cert. For Reserve cert you can also use W or one of the discounted F classes.
It's LUTXV for the Plat (and Reserve if used for main cabin). For the Reserve card, It's the two lowest discount F classes (I and Z). I would first check if there is LUTXV on the flights you are looking at and, if not, see if there are other dates with availability if you have flexibility. If you find dates with LUTXV availability and the flights don't show when you try to use the cert, you might want to give Delta a call.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's LUTXV for the Plat (and Reserve if used for main cabin). For the Reserve card, It's the two lowest discount F classes (I and Z). I would first check if there is LUTXV on the flights you are looking at and, if not, see if there are other dates with availability if you have flexibility. If you find dates with LUTXV availability and the flights don't show when you try to use the cert, you might want to give Delta a call.
Can the Reserve be used for Z fares? It seems that every time I try it is bumping up to I (or previously A, from G), despite Z being readily available for sale. ISTR this was a point of contention that for FC you were pushed up from the lowest fare classes, vs. coach where the lowest of the low was what you were aiming for.

And indeed the T&Cs seem to indicate "AIWLUTXV" fare classes. https://www.delta.com/us/en/booking-information/companion-certificates

Tickets are only available in A and I classes of service for First Class travel, only available in W class of service for Delta Comfort+ travel, and only available in L, U, T, X, V classes of service for Main Cabin travel and may not be available on all flights or markets.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gooselee
Can the Reserve be used for Z fares? It seems that every time I try it is bumping up to I (or previously A, from G), despite Z being readily available for sale. ISTR this was a point of contention that for FC you were pushed up from the lowest fare classes, vs. coach where the lowest of the low was what you were aiming for.

And indeed the T&Cs seem to indicate "AIWLUTXV" fare classes. https://www.delta.com/us/en/booking-...n-certificates
Interesting, because while I do remember AILUTXV from before PAG were reallocated to be PS fares, and I do see from the page you linked that it still says A/I for first class, the AMEX T&C says I/Z:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...0/#offer-terms

"Tickets are only available in I and Z classes of service for First Class travel, only available in W class for Delta Comfort+ travel, and only available in L, U, T, X, V classes of service for Main Cabin travel and may not be available on all flights or markets."

Left hand / rigiht hand
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They modified the T&C's to include Z fares some time ago after they migrated discount domestic F fares from PAG to CDIZ fare classes. There have been a few posts here on the change.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
For me, it's usually only one leg of an RT itinerary that lacks availability in LUTXV. When that happens, I just set an alert in ExpertFlyer for L availability for that flight. We haven't had any trouble using our 3 companion certs every year.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
They modified the T&C's to include Z fares some time ago after they migrated discount domestic F fares from PAG to CDIZ fare classes. There have been a few posts here on the change.
That may be, but although the Amex page reflects the change, the DL page linked above still reads "Tickets are only available in A and I classes of service for First Class travel, only available in W class of service for Delta Comfort+ travel, and only available in L, U, T, X, V classes of service for Main Cabin travel and may not be available on all flights or markets."

(ie I don't doubt the policy change, but the website has wrong info)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Those seem to be the terms listed on the Amex website, if you were applying for a new Delta Amex credit card. But the T&C of the certs on my existing credit cards say A&I. I received a new cert about 2 weeks ago and the T&C again said A&I. I used the cert yesterday. Even though Z was available for the flights I purchased, the website bumps the classes up to I.

Do the T&C on your cert actually say Z or are you calling in so the Delta agent can override the A&I restriction to book in Z?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I have not been able to purchase Z fares with the reserve card, only A & I, even when Z was available. Frustrating.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
The only data point I've seen where someone confirmed booking a Z-fare with a companion ticket was from someone who claimed that they made the booking over the phone on the Diamond Medallion line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.