Wiki Posts
Search

trying to get to DCA on a good fare

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
trying to get to DCA on a good fare

Got a last minute plea for some babysitting help in July. I just really prefer to fly Delta rather than American but the prices are very different. My route is LSE-DCA. Right now the fare difference is $200+. If Delta would have a sale would it start on Sunday or middle week? Using other airports is not going to work this time. Looking at the seats for the time period it looks like there are many open. I read in other posts Delta will fly with open seats rather than lower the price. I am about a month out from when I would like to travel but I have flexibility. I use the flexible days chart. Any hope for me?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Well, you can either save money and fly AA probably through ORD, or pay a premium, connect through MSP and fly Delta. There isn't much of a chance prices will go down. So it will come down to preference and willingness to pay.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

If your dates fall near or around the 4th of July, I doubt you will find sale fares to DCA.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's always possible that fares will drop close in, but that is rare. Especially to DCA in the summer.

Given that you are looking at 2 short flights, I would focus on price & convenience and not on the carrier.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Does it have to be DCA? Have you looked at fares into IAD or BWI?

I wouldn’t expect to see any sales or deals into DCA during the summer months. Almost every flight is always full.

The higher fare may also be attributed to your originating airport.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's peak summer seasonal travel. There won't be any sales. WN just had their regular anniversary sale last week, but it was only good for travel from Aug 20th - Dec 18th. No $49 fares for when the kids are out of school and demand is at it's peak. Looking at a seat map a month out is irrelevant. Most seats are sold closer in than that (especially to a destination like DCA).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Audie
Got a last minute plea for some babysitting help in July. I just really prefer to fly Delta rather than American but the prices are very different. My route is LSE-DCA. Right now the fare difference is $200+. If Delta would have a sale would it start on Sunday or middle week? Using other airports is not going to work this time. Looking at the seats for the time period it looks like there are many open. I read in other posts Delta will fly with open seats rather than lower the price. I am about a month out from when I would like to travel but I have flexibility. I use the flexible days chart. Any hope for me?
I also generally prefer DL to AA, but AA's operations at DCA are pretty solid, and they tend to fly comfortable planes there, though maybe not from ORD.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if the fares are better, is the drive to MSP unrealistic?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

It is a 2 1/2 hour drive plus motel and parking to MSP. I did check IAD and the fares are a little better. Going through IAD is another story Thanks to a previous poster who suggested that idea.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
if the fares are better, is the drive to MSP unrealistic?
Also check Rochester, MN.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

I did find a fare I could live with on Delta going to IAD. Returning both planes are CRJ (what a grandparent won't do) I have 50 minutes in Detroit so I am wondering if it is likely if my connection will be in the same concourse since both flights are on the smaller plane? I guess even if I have to change concourses most can be walked in about 20 minutes. This will be only my second time in Detroit so I am asking.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I did find a fare I could live with on Delta going to IAD. Returning both planes are CRJ (what a grandparent won't do) I have 50 minutes in Detroit so I am wondering if it is likely if my connection will be in the same concourse since both flights are on the smaller plane? I guess even if I have to change concourses most can be walked in about 20 minutes. This will be only my second time in Detroit so I am asking.
I've made many tight connections in DTW. 50 minutes should be ok.
Is your flight from DCA-DTW an RJ? This route is typically flown with an Airbus or CRJ7/9. In the past two years all of my DCA-DTW flights have gone into A. If you're on a CRJ200 to your final destination it will likely be in B/C. You'll need to walk the tunnel to the other concourse, but it's still doable.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Yes IAD-DTW is a CRJ 900
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:42 pm

Yes IAD-DTW is a CRJ 900
Sorry, meant IAD. The 900 is fairly comfortable. If the fare isn’t bad, try to book a C+ seat.
Its a much bette ride than the CRJ200
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes IAD-DTW is a CRJ 900
The CR9 flights have a pretty high chance of using the A gates (in addition to B). Be prepared for the walk through the tunnel to get from A concourse to B/C for your flight to LSE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.