Atlanta air traffic

Old Jun 6, 19, 9:52 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NYC
Programs: DL 1.95MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 940
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
Atlanta itself was known as "Terminus" in the 1800's for the confluence of rail lines that terminated there.

So "T" likely is a nod to that history as well.

It was always "T". When it was "International" and afterwards.
I remember flying out of T in 2007 to Copenhagen and all of the flights were widebodies at the time out of that concourse.
Intl359Widget is online now  
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:54 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ATLien
Programs: Hub Captive Club
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget View Post

I remember flying out of T in 2007 to Copenhagen and all of the flights were widebodies at the time out of that concourse.
You sure about the year? E was build for the 1996 Olympics and they moved the international traffic out there way back then from what I remember.

Originally Posted by ncwillett View Post
I read once that there are vague, long range plans for yet another concourse, presumably to be named concourse G. Given how spread out the airport is from T to F already, G would end up in near Birmingham anyway so the city might still get their chance for a piece of the pie, LOL.
G is going to connect directly to F and will make a 'u' shape with the south side of F and the international terminal...basically between F and Delta Cargo. This is happening sooner than you think. (source: the company I work for does work out there). And it's Augusta who gets the benefit to the East, not Birmingham, haha.

Originally Posted by b0nd0 View Post
I always thought T stood for Terminal as in Concourse T connected to the Terminal - i have also heard the T gates called Terminal Gates.
I believe you're correct on that one - if you think back to when it was built plane trains weren't exactly common so you had the Terminal Gate and then the satellites starting with A and running east.
spin2nd is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 8:36 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: BNA
Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Who came up with the dumb idea of ordering T before A, B, C, D and E?? This is by far the most confusing thing to out of towners.
Originally Posted by spin2nd View Post
I believe you're correct on that one - if you think back to when it was built plane trains weren't exactly common so you had the Terminal Gate and then the satellites starting with A and running east.
I never thought it was confusing when I first went to Atlanta. T for terminal then each concourse is labeled alphabetically after that. One look at the map and it all makes sense. I would agree if they had another dozen concourses it might become an issue. However, alphabetically speaking, T is so far from A through F it seemed obvious it wouldn't be in order. Plus the way everything is labeled it always is clear where you need to go based on signage.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
defrosted is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 8:48 am
  #49  
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Posts: 3,894
Originally Posted by defrosted View Post
I never thought it was confusing when I first went to Atlanta. T for terminal then each concourse is labeled alphabetically after that. One look at the map and it all makes sense. I would agree if they had another dozen concourses it might become an issue. However, alphabetically speaking, T is so far from A through F it seemed obvious it wouldn't be in order. Plus the way everything is labeled it always is clear where you need to go based on signage.
It's helpful that there's never a sign that shows "this way for A-E" which could cause confusion as to where T falls in that. All of the signage always lists out every destination -- "this way for A, B, C, D, E, T" which should make it fairly idiot-proof. Of course, once there's a G, H, and I those signs will be getting pretty crowded and complicated, but that's what comes with a huge airport.

It's also still easier than lots of other airports' solutions -- concourses A, B, C are part of Terminal 1 while concourses D, E, F are part of Terminal 2 or whatever. (Or better yet, LGA, where there is a terminal C and D but also C and D concourses in Terminal B...)
bgriff is online now  
Old Jun 7, 19, 9:13 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: BNA
Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
It's helpful that there's never a sign that shows "this way for A-E" which could cause confusion as to where T falls in that. All of the signage always lists out every destination -- "this way for A, B, C, D, E, T" which should make it fairly idiot-proof. Of course, once there's a G, H, and I those signs will be getting pretty crowded and complicated, but that's what comes with a huge airport.

It's also still easier than lots of other airports' solutions -- concourses A, B, C are part of Terminal 1 while concourses D, E, F are part of Terminal 2 or whatever. (Or better yet, LGA, where there is a terminal C and D but also C and D concourses in Terminal B...)
Agreed, if the "out of order" T is the most confusing part, good for them, I'll take it. There are much more confusing setups, even DTW which I love as an airport, has B and C in the same building but on a different level. WHY call it C?
defrosted is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 10:30 am
  #51  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,268
Originally Posted by b0nd0 View Post
I always thought T stood for Terminal as in Concourse T connected to the Terminal - i have also heard the T gates called Terminal Gates. Perhaps T is for Terminus as in the Terminus of the Plane Train......

I like T for Ticketing as well.
IIRC the old computerized plane train voice used to say "terminal gates" at T, and I've always thought of T=terminal since starting to fly from ATL in the 80s.

Also, the expansion plans are not really that vague or imaginary, though lots of sub-decisions still to be made. Google for "ATL airport master plan" and you'll find a publicly available PDF with lots of fun details.
Zorak likes this.
gooselee is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 11:03 am
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,251
Originally Posted by defrosted View Post
There are much more confusing setups, even DTW which I love as an airport, has B and C in the same building but on a different level. WHY call it C?
B & C are on the SAME level. Part of C is submerged.

In general, I do think T is confusing to many. I get it, I understand it, it is no problem for me. When F opened, that was a perfect opportunity to rename them A-G.
indufan is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 1:20 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: BNA
Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
B & C are on the SAME level. Part of C is submerged.

In general, I do think T is confusing to many. I get it, I understand it, it is no problem for me. When F opened, that was a perfect opportunity to rename them A-G.
You got me, part of C is not on the same level. But that is even more as to why on earth aren't they all B in that building.
defrosted is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 4:51 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: PHX
Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Posts: 1,215
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
B & C are on the SAME level. Part of C is submerged.

In general, I do think T is confusing to many. I get it, I understand it, it is no problem for me. When F opened, that was a perfect opportunity to rename them A-G.
If one is confused by T gates, they can always drive instead.

Just don't try to head South where our Southbound interstates are numbered 95 - 75 - 85 from East to West.
gooselee and fotographer like this.
FlyBitcoin is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 5:20 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hotlanta.
Programs: I've gone underground!
Posts: 3,455
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
If one is confused by T gates, they can always drive instead.

Just don't try to head South where our Southbound interstates are numbered 95 - 75 - 85 from East to West.
Not in the “right” part of the state. (North of 20)
emma dog is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 8:45 pm
  #56  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Posts: 2,932
I like ATL but it is not efficient at all. Every time I connect through there my aircraft is like 20 in line for takeoff. Compare that to other Delta hubs like DTW, MSP etc I never wait.
DCP2016 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 6:26 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CHS
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 508
[QUOTE=spin2nd;31179475]
And it's Augusta who gets the benefit to the East, not Birmingham, haha.
/QUOTE]

Oops, sorry. I looked once to see and must have looked at the map backwards or something.
strickerj likes this.
ncwillett is offline  
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:15 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Candler Field
Programs: Delta GM, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz Prez
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by spin2nd View Post
You sure about the year? E was build for the 1996 Olympics and they moved the international traffic out there way back then from what I remember.
Several of Delta's transatlantic flights were departing from T before concourse F opened up in 2012.
Intl359Widget likes this.
GlobeTrttr83 is offline  
Old Jun 10, 19, 2:06 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,711
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83 View Post
Several of Delta's transatlantic flights were departing from T before concourse F opened up in 2012.
International flights still regularly depart from T... the more important question is where they arrive.
ethernal is online now  
Old Jun 17, 19, 2:20 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NYC
Programs: DL 1.95MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 940
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
International flights still regularly depart from T... the more important question is where they arrive.
Unless they're coming from a CBP Pre-Clearance Station they'll be all going to E/F.
Intl359Widget is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: