Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lonelygod
good point! actually if SJC-JFK could have a meal like other long-haul domestic - that will be great, I mean SEA-RDU/MCO has free cheese&fruit..

At the same time, I see a news that with 764s being reconfigured, all LAX-JFK will be wide-body 763s.. maybe that can spare a 752 for SJC-JFK (dreaming...)
SJC-JFK on a 739 is torture. It's longer than LAX-JFK and closer in distance to SFO-JFK.
dlflyer00 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iansltx
May numbers for AUS just got posted and DL is up 11.2% YoY for pax carried. Pretty sure that virtually all of this is from using larger aircraft...717s look like they're being rotated out of here, at least for the high season...rather than additional frequencies. But hey, I haven't noticed any flights using 737s out of here on DL so I'm not complaining.

Probably doesn't hurt that #1 and #2 here both have a good chunk of MAX8s, so they can't grow as much (airport-wide traffic is up ~9%, WN and AA are ~6%). These numbers also put DL at ~10k pax per month (departures + arrivals) behind #3 UA, with a gap that's closing in every successive month (though NK just started a daily run to ATL so maybe that trend will slow momentarily). And that's without any new destinations.

With all that said, a 717 (or 220!) to BNA would be lovely; WN has 3x daily on that route with ~$350 R/T fares, and turnabout is fair play given that WN just started AUS-RDU. Probably an easier route to make money on than AUS-SJC, as fares are ~$50 OW lower on the latter.
Going to AUS in a couple weeks and was shocked to see all the A321s on AUS - ATL (appeared to be every flight with a pretty high frequency), though upgrade chances for the RDU - AUS going down still look pretty good on the CR9 so doubt that goes mainline anytime soon
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Randomlyredneck
Poor MEM...While I tend to agree, I wish they would put larger aircraft on the MEM to ATL route. It's very 3rd World at times. Perhaps when the Mad Dogs fly off to that great desert graveyard, we'll get a contemporary offering.
There are 739s on this route occasionally. They'll be in the mix for a few weeks, then disappear for a few weeks.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Originally Posted by Duke787
Going to AUS in a couple weeks and was shocked to see all the A321s on AUS - ATL (appeared to be every flight with a pretty high frequency), though upgrade chances for the RDU - AUS going down still look pretty good on the CR9 so doubt that goes mainline anytime soon
Yep, every time I've looked AUS-ATL has been all-A321.

No way AUS-RDU goes mainline now that WN is competing on the route (unless WN drops it again, which I doubt). Fares on the route didn't seem to bad to start with so I'm not sure DL could fill a bigger plane (even a 717) with fares high enough to be worth their while.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I'm not sure what that has to do with whether it's a focus city or not.
Agreed -- that Delta is growing from something smaller (inherent in "growing"), and that they are still smaller than others at SJC, doesn't seem to be relevant. The bottom line is that DL is growing faster at SJC than it is system wide (by nearly two-fold), which would supports the notion that Delta has a particular focus on growing SJC... hence, "focus city".

Last edited by cptlflyer; Jul 23, 2019 at 1:36 pm Reason: Argh, typos. My bad!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
A few thoughts....

I do not believe SLC has been meaningfully beefed up since the NWA merger over a decade ago. Whereas DTW, MSP, ATL all benefited by the reduction/elimination of traffic to the hub cities, I do not believe that NWA (ironically) provided such redundancies, as a better name for them really should have been MWA. Instead, Delta has created hubs in Seattle, LAX, and now SJC. In my mind, SLC has been clearly determined to not be a growing market.

Delta still has 10 empty gates sitting in the basement of MCO just gathering dust, it also has significant space ina. SkyClub that could be re-expanded if necessary. Clearly when they want to build up at MCO they will have room to do so. I think the demographics of MCO will eventually create some growth. MCO is more than just Disney these days, Florida is growing, very populous state, etc. Orlando will be poised for growth, and Delta has the room to do so. Their terminal is actually quite nice, just needs a facelift.... that will come in time. MCO has many horrible operational inefficiencies, but they are more the airport’s problem than DL’s. In fact, DL has been expanding their flights now using floater gates outside of their previous area. Should they eventually want to, I am confident the airport would give them gates 60-89. DL is a great partner for MCO, Disney, and others. In fact, Delta and Song both used to be the “official airlines of Walt Disney World”. Just think if they were to bring that level of coordination back! It would be a real boost for Delta, Disney, and Orlando... particularly if there was to be some connecting traffic through to Florida or add more international routes which went through Orlando. Very convenient for world travelers whether going to Disney or just passing through. Much like JFK really.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
A few thoughts....

I do not believe SLC has been meaningfully beefed up since the NWA merger over a decade ago. Whereas DTW, MSP, ATL all benefited by the reduction/elimination of traffic to the hub cities, I do not believe that NWA (ironically) provided such redundancies, as a better name for them really should have been MWA. Instead, Delta has created hubs in Seattle, LAX, and now SJC. In my mind, SLC has been clearly determined to not be a growing market.
What?? SJC is not a hub. SLC has seen very significant growth
IndyHoosier and eneq like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
What?? SJC is not a hub. SLC has seen very significant growth
Exactly. SLC is building two brand new terminals. One could argue it would not be happening if it wasn't for Delta's commitment to SLC.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I just booked a flight in November and noticed SJC-ATL is using a 752 instead of a 739. Still hopeful more routes will pop up, but I wonder if more seats and frequencies to existing cities is all we’ll see.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by jj243
I just booked a flight in November and noticed SJC-ATL is using a 752 instead of a 739. Still hopeful more routes will pop up, but I wonder if more seats and frequencies to existing cities is all we’ll see.
Three letters: ICN. I can feel it
Zorak and jj243 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Gosh I hope so!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:21 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jj243
Oh neat, I had one of those scheduled changes where nothing really changed this weekend so I didn't drill down on it, but I see now that I'm on a 757 flight in November. Return is still 739 though.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Nothing is impossible, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:11 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Originally Posted by defrosted
Exactly!

I thought focus city meant they are focusing their efforts, both marketing and operationally, to increase the business they have in those cities. I am really not understanding all the posts saying it can't be a focus city because of X and Y.
That's exactly what it is.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette

Nothing is impossible, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss. The shutdown of NRT next years means that all of DL's Asia traffic has to go thru ICN or PVG. And Seoul is a major tech hub.

PDX got HND. If Shelbyville can do it, we can too
jj243 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.