Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta sued by passenger allegedly attacked by emotional support animal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta sued by passenger allegedly attacked by emotional support animal

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AntonS

​​​​​​So instead of relying on ESA, shrinks and antidepressants , maybe we should try to address the root causes?
I 100% agree that we have many cultural problems that are contributing factors to our well being. However, it's also not reasonable to expect someone who is suffering to forgo help that may reduce suffering. Even if some problems have social roots, the suffering is still very real. We need to fix many things in our society, and at the same time, offer relief to those who suffer from its ills.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA
One thing to note is that there is not even a proper standard to training for a service dog. If one gets a sets service dog from a respected and legitimate not for profit, then the dog will be properly trained and will have been tested in many ways to make sure that the dog has the proper temperament to be a service dog.

One can train their own service dog --for example -- perhaps a person has a mobility issue or skeletal problem and cannot bend down to pick something up, That person can train the dog to pick up and retrieve the item in their own home -- but unless the dog has been exposed to noise and crowds and strangers the dog may not be comfortable performing that specific task in a crowded environment like an airport or an airplane.

There have been numerous scam organizations that charge for service dogs that are not properly trained (ie see the lawsuits against Ry-Con in NC) or the not for profits that take shelter animals, collect donations and claim they are service animals for veterans or training for police departments (google Universal K9 in TX).

I could proclaim myself a service dog trainer tomorrow -- no need for education, maybe watch a few videos -- and start charging for it. And then I could incorporate a not for profit, take shelter dogs, take donations, charge for the service dog -- and then the public is at risk.

Other countries are few more regulated in terms of requirements to be a dog trainer or what it means to be service dog,.

And sorry the idea that the victim unconsciously or subconsciously or accidentally provoked the dog by being a person of larger size, or buckling his seat belt, or wearing a citrus based aftershave, or what ever blame tactic is given is given is just nonsense.

I have had timid and nervous pets that I adored but I had to take precautions at the vet or when people came over, At no point did I set the animal up for failure by placing the animal in a public situation that the animal could not handle or claim that "wouldn't hurt a fly"...

Delta was in a difficult situation. When other airlines have denied boarding to people with badly behaved service/ESA dogs the owner will post on social media and claim discrimination, violation, etc, even when the dog was growling and lunging at other passengers. And the default reaction of many was to say 'bad airline" and "good doggo". I do think that people should be required to take the ESA dog to proper training, and that the fee should be income based.

It will be interesting to see how this lawsuit progresses.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by AntonS
​​​​​​So instead of relying on ESA, shrinks and antidepressants , maybe we should try to address the root causes?
OK, and until you find the magical cure, what are people who need help supposed to do? People should just ignore options that would make their life a little better because you don't think those options are PERFECT?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
In the US there is a difference between an ESA and a Service Animal

Per the US DOJ Civil Rights Division

"Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."
strickerj likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I am emotionally satisfied when I eat French Fries, Onion Rings, Pizza and many others. I would like to declare these are valid food items to be served free during flight by Airlines. Banana, pretzels, cookies, chips and others that are currently served upset me emotionally. Drinks-wine, whiskey, and particularly Irish cream are good for me emotionally; I am allergic to orange juice, Coke, etc. I know I can bring these food and drinks (may be not drinks) to the cabin when I fly but having these served gives me better satisfaction emotionally.
Question 1: Are you allowed to bring alcoholic drinks into the plane?
Question 2: If you freeze, for example wine, would it be detected as a liquid or solid?
Question 3: I believe in the theory that one glass of wine is good for the heart-If I get it prescribed, would it become a prescription medicine?
sdadept likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by No_Name
Per the US DOJ Civil Rights Division

"Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."
Yes, there is a difference under the ADA, but the ADA doesn't apply to airlines, the Air Carrier Access Act does instead, and it explicitly includes ESAs.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Gynob001
I am emotionally satisfied when I eat French Fries, Onion Rings, Pizza and many others. I would like to declare these are valid food items to be served free during flight by Airlines.
Ah yes, people just "declared" that they can bring their ESAs on to planes and the airlines just had no choice but to comply. That's how the system works!

jdrtravel likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I am emotionally satisfied when I eat French Fries, Onion Rings, Pizza and many others.
Actually, the research does not support your claim, like it does support the effect that ESA's have on trauma survivors. In fact, eating junk foods such as these is directly correlated to higher morbidity. As such, your request is denied, please enjoy the peanuts and pretzels.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:07 pm

I am emotionally satisfied when I eat French Fries, Onion Rings, Pizza and many others. I would like to declare these are valid food items to be served free during flight by Airlines. Banana, pretzels, cookies, chips and others that are currently served upset me emotionally. Drinks-wine, whiskey, and particularly Irish cream are good for me emotionally; I am allergic to orange juice, Coke, etc. I know I can bring these food and drinks (may be not drinks) to the cabin when I fly but having these served gives me better satisfaction emotionally.
Question 2: If you freeze, for example wine, would it be detected as a liquid or solid?
Question 3: I believe in the theory that one glass of wine is good for the heart-If I get it prescribed, would it become a prescription medicine?

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Actually, the research does not support your claim, like it does support the effect that ESA's have on trauma survivors. In fact, eating junk foods such as these is directly correlated to higher morbidity. As such, your request is denied, please enjoy the peanuts and pretzels.
Their emotional need for fried foods and medicinal wine is same as that of 50% of people travelling with ESA's (i.e. fake) so it should be considered sympathetically
Old May 31, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
This poor man had his face ripped open in a vicious mauling. One has an expectation of NOT being in danger from animals while flying on Delta. Everything else is just noise.

I predict Mr Jackson will win, big. Delta will pay a substantial settlement. The dog owner is just as guilty, if not more, but obviously is judgment proof.

And the blaming victim is just shameful.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:42 pm

As someone with significant, serious allergies to canines I find the way in which people circumvent the rules to bring ESAs on planes just to save $75 or so their precious dog doesn't have to be in the baggage compartment abhorrent. I have no problem sharing a cabin with real, qualified service dogs that require their nearby physical presence but 99% of ESAs do not fit this qualification. I've had to sit next to pit bulls (pre-rule), golden retrievers, huskies in FC, all of which were not working service dogs and all of which severely encroached on my personal space during the flight. The more airlines can do to ensure just true animals that provide a service are boarded in the passenger cabin, the better.

Last edited by USCTrojan83; May 31, 2019 at 2:52 pm
Old May 31, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Q1: No.
Q2: As a solid, and if completely solid would be allowed thru security.
Q3: Dunno.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by arkangel
Q1: No.
Q2: As a solid, and if completely solid would be allowed thru security.
Q3: Dunno.
awww come on.. you are being serious..
here are the correct answers...
1. Yes. If you bring it in a starbucks coffee cup - same as fake ESAs
2. Melts easily.. don't bother..
3. Yes of course! (want to bring it aboard? see 1 above)

Last edited by jeet; May 31, 2019 at 3:13 pm Reason: corrected cofee after coffee
Old May 31, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Yes, there is a difference under the ADA, but the ADA doesn't apply to airlines, the Air Carrier Access Act does instead, and it explicitly includes ESAs.
The ESA is a regulatory decision by DOT under the ACA Act and not a statutory requirement. If you read the statutory requirements of Title 14 Section 382 (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/382.117) it outlines conditions for ESAs that give the airlines more latitude. The DOT made a regulatory decision that reduced that flexibility.

The ADA does apply to airlines and service animals are completely distinct from ESAs. While an airline can refuse an ESA under section 382, they have much less flexibility to refuse a service animal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.