Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta sued by passenger allegedly attacked by emotional support animal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta sued by passenger allegedly attacked by emotional support animal

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Gynob001
my suggestion to the recipient of the bite- sue the doctor who certified the need for the emotional support.
Originally Posted by sk8er
Exactly! This is why many doctors do not sign off on emotional support animals. There is no requirement for training and as my kid’s doctor said many doctors got sued by people being bitten by such a dog.
Doctors have nothing to do with approving a specific animal to be an emotional support animal. ESA's are not certified or approved by any recognized group. Doctors or psychologists or other mental health providers provide a memo (or an airline form) stating the human has some type of psychological issue that would benefit from an ESA.
iskingolf and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Delta could have chosen to implement a stricter policy on what qualifies as a certified ESA. Delta chose not to. There is nothing on the federal requirements that dictates how strict (or not) the ESA certification process has to be.

The plantiff will likely argue Delta could have been more strict, and this wouldn’t have happened.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta - GM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Anyone can sue. However it's likely the case will be thrown out as DL was required to allow animal per federal law. Just like state court cases are being thrown out against pharmaceutical companies for failing to warn patients. This due to fact federal law says they can't. Same principal here, as federal government is directing what must be done.
Incorrect, The supreme court ruled a couple of years ago that they could be sued for "failure to warn" in state courts, unless the FDA has SPECIFICALLY rejected such warning. The case was from Maine which has a stricture warning policy than the FDA.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta - GM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think there is a grey area here. DL is certainly not required to allow all animals on board. Per the DOT:

Airlines may exclude animals that:
  • Are too large or heavy to be accommodated in the cabin;
  • Pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others;
  • Cause a significant disruption of cabin service; or
  • Are prohibited from entering a foreign country.
(https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...upport-animals)

I don't know the details of this but it seems like airlines could be more strictly enforcing some of these.
I think that this would be hard to argue for any dog as the airlines are REQUIRED by federal law to allow miniature horses on board. I think it would be hard pressed to say a dog would be too heavy or large if a miniature horse isn't.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not blame the victim. A service dog, or an appropriately trained support dog, would not bite someone's face badly even if provoked except upon command or otherwise in extraordinary circumstances. These dogs are/should be trained not to react unless their owner is in danger.
My 7 year old niece was attacked by a (supposedly) well trained police dog leaving their church. The handler could not get the dog to let go. Had to pull its jaws apart from her thighs. Then the dog attacked him. She required dozens of stitches and will need plastic surgery on her legs when she gets older.

Of course a well trained dog *should* never attack (unless commanded) too, but after all, they do have minds of their own.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Deeper pockets via corporation. Note article indicates he is suing both Delta and the owner. Winning judgement in civil suit means much of nothing if the other party doesn't have funds or require to pay by the court (as it isn't criminal). Reminder, OJ Simpson lost civil suit to the Goldman's and don't believe he has transferred any funds to date.
I took a regulatory law class in college and our professor (also a lawyer) liked to say during his "deep pockets" lecture: "College students are in the perfect place to not be sued. Most of you only own a bed and a TV". Haha.
Statman, RooseveltL, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I took a regulatory law class in college and our professor (also a lawyer) liked to say during his "deep pockets" lecture: "College students are in the perfect place to not be sued. Most of you only own a bed and a TV". Haha.
Can't future income be attached? In fact, I had the impression that OJ has been deliberately avoiding making any money so that he doesn't have to pay.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:41 am

Can't future income be attached? In fact, I had the impression that OJ has been deliberately avoiding making any money so that he doesn't have to pay.
Good question. Unfortunately I chose an Engineering degree over Law, so I'm not the right person to answer . I suppose that would depend on the State law?
Old May 30, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: HH, UA
Doctors have nothing to do with approving a specific animal to be an emotional support animal. ESA's are not certified or approved by any recognized group. Doctors or psychologists or other mental health providers provide a memo (or an airline form) stating the human has some type of psychological issue that would benefit from an ESA.
While this is correct I left that bit out for sake of shortness but regardless nowadays you have to have that letter to claim ESA, so the result is the same.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dalewood
I am not an attorney, but why not sue the owner?
The plaintiff did that.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by JKPFlyer
I think that this would be hard to argue for any dog as the airlines are REQUIRED by federal law to allow miniature horses on board. I think it would be hard pressed to say a dog would be too heavy or large if a miniature horse isn't.
Again, there is a big difference between what is allowed as a service animal and what is allowed as an emotional support animal.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Dalewood
I am not an attorney, but why not sue the owner?
Because the owner is likely judgment proof.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:43 am

Let's not blame the victim. A service dog, or an appropriately trained support dog, would not bite someone's face badly even if provoked except upon command or otherwise in extraordinary circumstances. These dogs are/should be trained not to react unless their owner is in danger.
there is nothing to indicate that this was a service dog or that anyone misrepresented the animal as a service dog.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
How do they know that

How would a doctor or a therapist know that the person with a psychological issue would benefit from an emotional support pet? To my knowledge there is no scientific documentation to suggest a specific disorder might benefit from a specific type of pet animal. All humans benefit from emotional support. It is a generic assumption that pets are good for emotional wellbeing.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am

[left]claim that it's an ESA (fake credentials purchased by checking a few boxes on a website or even just a willing therapist or other medical provider)
That isn't what happens. ESAs don't have credentials and don't need to have any training. The paperwork is for the people, not the animal.

There is nothing in this case to indicate that there was any fraudulent paperwork or documents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.