Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to analyze whether to buy an upgrade to F with money or miles

Old May 16, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

o.k., here's the real life situation...

Flying LGA-MCO with Mrs. Yogimax on June 1st. I'm Platinum, she's Gold, so we are both Platinum for upgrade purposes.

Right now, there are 9 available seats in F. Delta is offering an upgrade O/W for 14,400 miles or $154 per person.

How would you analyze whether to wait and hope for a free upgrade, or purchase the upgrade right now? If we purchased, we would use miles.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old May 16, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
1. Wouldn't spend those miles or $ for the upgrade on that flight.
2. I'd expect an upgrade as a PL on that route on 6/1. What time is flight though? That said I'd be fine in C+ on that flight.
jaimemayo and Duke787 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
The $$ to miles ratio for these buy-up offers is fixed at around 1.1 cents per mile.

This is generally considered a poor redemption value for SM's compared to booking an advance purchase round trip or even a last-minute round trip all on points.

Pay the cash if it is worth it to you.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
1. Wouldn't spend those miles or $ for the upgrade on that flight.
2. I'd expect an upgrade as a PL on that route on 6/1. What time is flight though? That said I'd be fine in C+ on that flight.
Thanks for your response, Mark. 1:55PM.

We do have excellent C+ seats. I guess my question is related to recent similar flights where free upgrades disappeared at the last minute.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
It is a direct flight less than 3 hours long, most probably you are doubling your cost of flights (one way) if you upgrade to first. It is a Saturday flight so less business travel. If you have excellent C+ tickets, leave it at that and you may or may not get the upgrades, but you can save your money for another flight down the road.

I vote save your cash and miles.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
The $$ to miles ratio for these buy-up offers is fixed at around 1.1 cents per mile.

This is generally considered a poor redemption value for SM's compared to booking an advance purchase round trip or even a last-minute round trip all on points.

Pay the cash if it is worth it to you.
You earn bonus MQM's with the upgrade (even with miles) which can be a consideration for people trying to earn/maintain status. Not everyone is fixated on maximizing CPM and J awards. There's generally a considerable time commitment to that as well as requiring a large degree of schedule flexibility. I wouldn't say that PWM or upgrades are necessarily a bad use of miles depending on your priorities. Flight stage length (and thus MQM earning) would be a significant factor in the decision.
krakendown likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:43 pm

I think the answer depends on the situation. I have more miles than I will ever use so I would tend to use miles. I tenD to upgrade with miles or money towards the end of the year in order to push up my mqms. I would upgrade rather than hoping for a free upgrade because that route can be and often is full in first. Older people willing to pay because they don’t fly often and need the comfort a family or two off to dis. So if you have the miles or money I wouldn’t wait unless you really don’t much care.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I've paid $150 for a similar flight (PHX-SEA) but in that case I wasn't already in C+. So I guess my point is that the price is unsurprising, but I'd be happy in C+ for three hours since you asked
Old May 16, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I havent seen any UG offers lately on my upcoming trips to KEF or PPT with the domestic portions in the reservations. How are yall seeing these?
Old May 16, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
If you have 1,000,000 or more redeemable miles, Id upgrade now with miles. When flying with significant others, F is always better.

If you dont have the miles, but this is an anniversary trip, some other special occasion, or a trip to visit your mother-in-law, pay for the upgrade now.

If none of the above, keep your seats.

Just my opinion.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
If you have 1,000,000 or more redeemable miles, Id upgrade now with miles. When flying with significant others, F is always better.

If you dont have the miles, but this is an anniversary trip, some other special occasion, or a trip to visit your mother-in-law, pay for the upgrade now.

Just my opinion.
+1. Exactly my logic. Add in Wife and anniversary and the math changes
Idaho Territory and jbeans like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AJDelvarno

Just my opinion.
+1. Exactly my logic. Add a Wife and Anniversary and the math changes

Last edited by puck021; May 16, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
You earn bonus MQM's with the upgrade (even with miles) which can be a consideration for people trying to earn/maintain status.
So let's assume this flight earns 1,000 MQM's So, if I upgrade with miles how many MQM's will I receive?
Old May 17, 2019, 4:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I would make one point which is MCO has never been an easy upgrade for me. Only once have I gotten the upgrade going into and out of MCO. One thing is there are a lot of medallions who go in and out of MCO so lots of upgrades there. Also like LAS, MCO is a tourist destination so lots of people will convert miles or pay for F as a leisure route.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by yogimax
So let's assume this flight earns 1,000 MQM's So, if I upgrade with miles how many MQM's will I receive?

Probably right about 1500 total. You can login and do a dummy booking to get the exact number based on your status

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.