FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   How to analyze whether to buy an upgrade to F with money or miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1969999-how-analyze-whether-buy-upgrade-f-money-miles.html)

yogimax May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

How to analyze whether to buy an upgrade to F with money or miles

o.k., here's the real life situation...

Flying LGA-MCO with Mrs. Yogimax on June 1st. I'm Platinum, she's Gold, so we are both Platinum for upgrade purposes.

Right now, there are 9 available seats in F. Delta is offering an upgrade O/W for 14,400 miles or $154 per person.

How would you analyze whether to wait and hope for a free upgrade, or purchase the upgrade right now? If we purchased, we would use miles.

Thanks for your thoughts!

MarkCron May 16, 2019 12:59 pm

1. Wouldn't spend those miles or $ for the upgrade on that flight.
2. I'd expect an upgrade as a PL on that route on 6/1. What time is flight though? That said I'd be fine in C+ on that flight.

FlyBitcoin May 16, 2019 1:41 pm

The $$ to miles ratio for these buy-up offers is fixed at around 1.1 cents per mile.

This is generally considered a poor redemption value for SM's compared to booking an advance purchase round trip or even a last-minute round trip all on points.

Pay the cash if it is worth it to you.

yogimax May 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron (Post 31108497)
1. Wouldn't spend those miles or $ for the upgrade on that flight.
2. I'd expect an upgrade as a PL on that route on 6/1. What time is flight though? That said I'd be fine in C+ on that flight.

Thanks for your response, Mark. 1:55PM.

We do have excellent C+ seats. I guess my question is related to recent similar flights where free upgrades disappeared at the last minute.

manually May 16, 2019 1:49 pm

It is a direct flight less than 3 hours long, most probably you are doubling your cost of flights (one way) if you upgrade to first. It is a Saturday flight so less business travel. If you have excellent C+ tickets, leave it at that and you may or may not get the upgrades, but you can save your money for another flight down the road.

I vote save your cash and miles.

xliioper May 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin (Post 31108619)
The $$ to miles ratio for these buy-up offers is fixed at around 1.1 cents per mile.

This is generally considered a poor redemption value for SM's compared to booking an advance purchase round trip or even a last-minute round trip all on points.

Pay the cash if it is worth it to you.

You earn bonus MQM's with the upgrade (even with miles) which can be a consideration for people trying to earn/maintain status. Not everyone is fixated on maximizing CPM and J awards. There's generally a considerable time commitment to that as well as requiring a large degree of schedule flexibility. I wouldn't say that PWM or upgrades are necessarily a bad use of miles depending on your priorities. Flight stage length (and thus MQM earning) would be a significant factor in the decision.

tennessetom May 16, 2019 2:43 pm

I think the answer depends on the situation. I have more miles than I will ever use so I would tend to use miles. I tenD to upgrade with miles or money towards the end of the year in order to push up my mqms. I would upgrade rather than hoping for a free upgrade because that route can be and often is full in first. Older people willing to pay because they don’t fly often and need the comfort a family or two off to dis. So if you have the miles or money I wouldn’t wait unless you really don’t much care.

Gig103 May 16, 2019 2:48 pm

I've paid $150 for a similar flight (PHX-SEA) but in that case I wasn't already in C+. So I guess my point is that the price is unsurprising, but I'd be happy in C+ for three hours since you asked :)

Intl359Widget May 16, 2019 4:40 pm

I haven’t seen any UG offers lately on my upcoming trips to KEF or PPT with the domestic portions in the reservations. How are y’all seeing these?

AJDelvarno May 16, 2019 5:22 pm

If you have 1,000,000 or more redeemable miles, I’d upgrade now with miles. When flying with significant others, F is always better.

If you don’t have the miles, but this is an anniversary trip, some other special occasion, or a trip to visit your mother-in-law, pay for the upgrade now.

If none of the above, keep your seats.

Just my opinion.

puck021 May 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by AJDelvarno (Post 31109208)
If you have 1,000,000 or more redeemable miles, I’d upgrade now with miles. When flying with significant others, F is always better.

If you don’t have the miles, but this is an anniversary trip, some other special occasion, or a trip to visit your mother-in-law, pay for the upgrade now.

Just my opinion.

+1. Exactly my logic. Add in Wife and anniversary and the math changes

puck021 May 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by AJDelvarno (Post 31109208)

Just my opinion.

+1. Exactly my logic. Add a Wife and Anniversary and the math changes

yogimax May 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31108732)
You earn bonus MQM's with the upgrade (even with miles) which can be a consideration for people trying to earn/maintain status.

So let's assume this flight earns 1,000 MQM's So, if I upgrade with miles how many MQM's will I receive?

vincentharris May 17, 2019 4:27 am

I would make one point which is MCO has never been an easy upgrade for me. Only once have I gotten the upgrade going into and out of MCO. One thing is there are a lot of medallions who go in and out of MCO so lots of upgrades there. Also like LAS, MCO is a tourist destination so lots of people will convert miles or pay for F as a leisure route.

tennessetom May 17, 2019 5:04 am

Originally Posted by yogimax (Post 31109560)
So let's assume this flight earns 1,000 MQM's So, if I upgrade with miles how many MQM's will I receive?

Probably right about 1500 total. You can login and do a dummy booking to get the exact number based on your status