Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New DTW Skyclub (Open Dec 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kavok
Anyone know if this is still happening? Obviously the opening may be pushed back if demand is not there, and I could also see there also being some construction delays due to the lockdowns. But basically just curious if this project is still in the works, or if it was cancelled?

Arguably, if demand continues to be low through the summer, it might make sense to complete this club now, open it (as it has a smaller footprint than the current main club), and use the opportunity to close down and finally renovate the usually packed main DTW club. With demand being down, and construction costs low, what better time than now to do that renovation?
If they had already started construction before all of this, I’d assume the club will still eventually open.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Can someone answer an unrelated question for me. When DL and NW first moved into McNamara Terminal, who occupied the lounges at the B & C concourse entry? I know Delta is now in C, and before B was used. Were both locations ever used simultaneously?

I would imagine if they have signed a lease on the space, and signed contracts on construction, they will move ahead. Then again, if they have any outs, I’m sure the lawyers are looking at them extremely closely. Chances of McNamara using the space for another purpose are extremely low, and DL may suspect it will be years before travel fully recovers.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Can someone answer an unrelated question for me. When DL and NW first moved into McNamara Terminal, who occupied the lounges at the B & C concourse entry? I know Delta is now in C, and before B was used. Were both locations ever used simultaneously?

I would imagine if they have signed a lease on the space, and signed contracts on construction, they will move ahead. Then again, if they have any outs, I’m sure the lawyers are looking at them extremely closely. Chances of McNamara using the space for another purpose are extremely low, and DL may suspect it will be years before travel fully recovers.
If I recall correctly, when McNamara opened: B concourse was Continental and Delta, and C was Northwest Connect (small regional jets and prop planes). If Delta or Continental was flying a prop plane, they also used C terminal. Both B and C were later expanded a few years after the terminal opened. Obviously A terminal was NW mainline (and AF/KL/LH).

I know Delta never had a Crown Room in McNamara, and I don’t think Continental had a Presidents Club room either. So I guess the B/C lounge must have always been Northwest. I do know that it wasn’t until about 2005 that there was SkyTeam lounge reciprocity between NW, Delta, and Continental.
Old May 16, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I recall one lounge at B/C -- but then NW built a new larger lounge and closed the original, I think.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by mot29
I recall one lounge at B/C -- but then NW built a new larger lounge and closed the original, I think.
That is correct. The original lounge in B/C was to the right of the men's bathroom nearest to the tunnel, so slightly into the B concourse. It was small. The main B/C club opened at the top of the escalator when the terminals were expanded. It was always Northwest, and never DL/CO, though I know at least CO members could use it.

There was a temporary LH lounge where the new SkyClub is going, and a temp BA lounge in a cordoned off section of the Westin. Both closed when the North terminal opened and those flights moved there. (Or the BA flight just outright ended, I don't recall which happened first!)
Old May 16, 2020, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by defrosted
2020 is the year of the club, apparently. Everything is coming 2020.
Hold my beer.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If they had already started construction before all of this, I’d assume the club will still eventually open.
sunk cost fallacy
Old May 16, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
what are the white areas in the middle of the club spaces?
That is the Ministry of Funny Walks.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If I recall correctly, when McNamara opened: B concourse was Continental and Delta, and C was Northwest Connect (small regional jets and prop planes). If Delta or Continental was flying a prop plane, they also used C terminal. Both B and C were later expanded a few years after the terminal opened. Obviously A terminal was NW mainline (and AF/KL/LH).

I know Delta never had a Crown Room in McNamara, and I don’t think Continental had a Presidents Club room either. So I guess the B/C lounge must have always been Northwest. I do know that it wasn’t until about 2005 that there was SkyTeam lounge reciprocity between NW, Delta, and Continental.
Going back to at least around 1990, the AmEx Plat card was good for entrance to CO lounges when flying CO as well as NW lounges when flying NW, although codeshare tended to create problems. If one was careful (for example, getting a NW operated and marketed flight from MSP to IAH and a CO operated and marketed flight for the return), it worked well and one didn't need a lounge membership.
Air Houston and A321neo like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by A321neo
sunk cost fallacy
If there isn’t enough demand back by the time the new club is ready, I could see DL temporarily close the larger club and consolidate in the new smaller club. The old club only has a self-service bar which I assume means they can’t offer much in terms of alcohol in the age of COVID but the new club will have a full service bar which could allow them to safely serve more.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If there isn’t enough demand back by the time the new club is ready, I could see DL temporarily close the larger club and consolidate in the new smaller club. The old club only has a self-service bar which I assume means they can’t offer much in terms of alcohol in the age of COVID but the new club will have a full service bar which could allow them to safely serve more.
Based on the regulations smacked on SCs throughouts the states, it seems split. The LAX T2 SC has only self serve. The JKF SC has only bar-served (but limited to basic alc). And the SEA A SC has only nothing. So which "regime" prevails remains an open question.

That being said, I'd prefer the bar-served model, but I'd prefer bar served with the full range including pay-drinks. That being said, being restricted would surely help my broad desire to drink less.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador

Just one update. Delta got gates B16, 18, and 20. Service was very limited...SLC (1x sometimes), ATL, JFK, and CVG. Continental got several of the B gates as well. Northwest Connect used both B and C. When flying DL into DTW, your bags came off baggage claim prior to arriving almost all of the time. It was a long trek out of the airport!
Old May 16, 2020, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spudley007
Just one update. Delta got gates B16, 18, and 20. Service was very limited...SLC (1x sometimes), ATL, JFK, and CVG. Continental got several of the B gates as well. Northwest Connect used both B and C. When flying DL into DTW, your bags came off baggage claim prior to arriving almost all of the time. It was a long trek out of the airport!
Still not quite right if you are talking about when the terminal originally opened. NW and DL were not partners when McNamara and B/C opened 2002. Continental had gates in B because of NW partnership and golden share, but DL was still in Smith. DL moved over to McNamara in 2005 after NW/CO joined Skyteam in 2004. CO left McNamara in 2010 for North Terminal after it left Skyteam for Star Alliance in 2009 when NW's golden share was no longer valid due to DL/NW merger.

Last edited by xliioper; May 17, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Old May 17, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by xliioper
Still not quite right if you are talking about when the terminal originally opened. NW and DL were not partners when McNamara and B/C opened 2002. Continental had gates in B because of NW partnership and golden share, but DL was still in Smith. DL moved over to McNamara in 2005 after NW/CO joined Skyteam in 2004. CO left McNamara in 2010 for North Terminal after it left Skyteam for Star Alliance in 2009 when NW's golden share was no longer valid due to DL/NW merger.
Agreed...crappy terminal but cheaper on site parking was nice. DL operated out of B9 and B10 for mainline and A? (don't recall) for the CVG flights. I'm not sure I ever ate at that terminal!
Old May 18, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I flew on the DL Salt Lake City flights out of the McNamara terminal many times in the NorthWest days. I prefer the days of three carriers in SkyTeam together, but they will never come back sadly. It was so nice seeing all the different names listed on the gates back in the days.

That said, for a twenty year airport, McNamara has held up extremely well. Biggest complaint I’ve ever had is the lack of lighting in B & C gates.... very very dark. Also, the odd placement of gates C1-C7, I would imagine due to the conversion of the original C terminal to being an inside terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.