Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is Up with the Diamond Desk Lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check

I did not even want to post this but since its happened about 10 times in a row now I thought I would. It seems as though every time I have called to ask questions or to do anything flight related I have gotten much more incompetent agents. You can usually tell the more "seasoned" agents when they answer as they have a bit more confidence. Its almost like I am getting agents in training who have to put you on hold and go back and research things as opposed to what I am used to. For what its worth they do still answer the phone "Delta Diamond Desk". One of the best things about being a DM is the Diamond line and honestly it is just not the same.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
SYRRDU likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
I did not even want to post this but since its happened about 10 times in a row now I thought I would. It seems as though every time I have called to ask questions or to do anything flight related I have gotten much more incompetent agents. You can usually tell the more "seasoned" agents when they answer as they have a bit more confidence. Its almost like I am getting agents in training who have to put you on hold and go back and research things as opposed to what I am used to. For what its worth they do still answer the phone "Delta Diamond Desk". One of the best things about being a DM is the Diamond line and honestly it is just not the same.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Have you been calling on weekends? The good agents generally only work M-F. I've had a few good weekend agents, but most are garbage and I have to wait until Monday.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Dia, KM, 2MM, Hilton Dia, Natl Emer Exec. Avis Pres.
I've noticed the same thing.
hnewman and ryandc99 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL
I assumed they hired a new batch of agents recently, but not sure. I had an agent try to direct me to the SkyBonus desk because they saw my SkyBonus number as a note in the PNR and assumed that meant the ticket was a SkyBonus redemption...
Old May 12, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
It's hit or miss. I've had a few that we're "meh" and I've had a couple that were outstanding. Part of it might also have to do with circumstances: during widespread IRROPS, you're probably more likely to get a less experienced agent than during "business as usual". That said, one of my best Diamond Desk experiences came during a fairly major weather situation that affected a lot of people, so... who knows? (That said, my call was complex enough that it got escalated to a supervisor.)
Old May 12, 2019, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Most of these have been regular "times" where IRROPS were not a question.....its been way to often during both weekdays and weekends.......I should have asked "which call center" they were but I have not yet.....might do that from this point forward.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
An agent who takes the time to research beats an agent who gives a wrong answer quickly and confidently!
BHammy likes this.

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; May 13, 2019 at 1:27 am
Old May 13, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Pretty sure that DM line just gets priority on who answers the phone...next available agent.
Yes, many are more up to date on higher level procedures (knowing the T&C), but just as many at peak times that are just standard help desk associates trying to make the best of it.
SYRRDU likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by BHammy
Pretty sure that DM line just gets priority on who answers the phone...next available agent.
Yes, many are more up to date on higher level procedures (knowing the T&C), but just as many at peak times that are just standard help desk associates trying to make the best of it.
Yes... it's a mixed bag and I think Delta has tried tweaking the formula.

Last year I was getting some pretty significant holds - even as a Diamond.. pretty much every time I called in, it was at least a 3-5 minute wait - even when there weren't IRROPS.

This year? Completely different. Get picked up almost instantly. I was shocked when I got answered on a first ring a few weeks back when ATL was in total WX-induced IRROPS mode - not once but twice.

That said, I think this may be in exchange for slightly lower agent quality - Delta has decided to minimize hold times at the expense of agent experience.

For the most part, I like it. 95%+ of the time I am calling for something simple (e.g., unblocking 36C or 49C so I can get an aisle seat). In the event that it is something more complex, I can always escalate.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I've had a some bad experiences recently... mostly after hours. Change fees within 24 cancel period. no idea how to look up GUC, and more. Not good....

I'd rather wait 5 minutes to talk to someone who knows what they're doing vs having the call answered by an inexperienced rep.
BenA likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
I just hung up with the DM line and had a terrible agent. All I wanted to do was SDC to the next flight (tons of inventory available) and the agent burned up 17 mins on the call only to tell me should not figure out. I did a typical HUCA and got it done in less than two minutes with a SLC based agent.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PM, Hertz PC
Towards the end of March, I was having multiple issues getting RUC’s applied correctly. I spoke with an agent who had no clue and then I asked for a supervisor who seemed very annoyed that they had to speak with me. Very rude and even they didn’t know the policies.

A few few days later, I called back and spoke to a nice agent who tried to help. She was pleasant and even gave me a voucher for the issues I experienced.

She told me that a whole new batch of agents at a center in Atlanta were training to take calls from
premium customers. This included both agents and supervisors. She apologized and said it sounds like you got one of them. She said that typical agents don’t normally handle RUC’s and that training was still occurring.

I hope that the Atlanta Diamond agents are better than their gate agents and flight crews which I find to be the most uncaring and sometimes rude.

Last edited by Dlandrew; May 13, 2019 at 8:35 am Reason: Typo
Old May 13, 2019, 9:56 am

This thread is interesting, as about one month ago I had my first experience talking with someone who was completely incompetent at the Diamond line (and I have been a Diamond since the inception of the program). It is worth noting that this took place on a Sunday since someone suggested above that the good agents work M-F. My connecting flight was delayed 4 and a half hours so I would miss my ATL-CDG flight. I called to look at options from ATL, DTW or JFK to CDG. The agent "found" a flight that left at ~ 11pm and arrived at CDG ~ 11pm the next day. I said that was impossible, as it would be a flight time of ~ 18 hours. He checked, and said the actual flying time was something like 17 hours. I told him that I needed to think about this, hung up, called again, and got an agent who booked me on the AF ATL-CDG flight.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
It occurs to me that the "call back till you reach someone good" strategy has the drawback that you can't leave poor feedback for the lousy reps and good feedback for the good ones.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by reimero
It occurs to me that the "call back till you reach someone good" strategy has the drawback that you can't leave poor feedback for the lousy reps and good feedback for the good ones.
But you can differentiate between the good and the bad in the 1-5 phone survey at the end of the call. Unfortunately, I was so bent out of shape and so anxious to arrange a new flight that I did not do the survey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.