Wiki Posts
Search

SDS for later flight

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
SDS for later flight

The delta on price between a red-eye return and one during 'normal' hours is pretty significant (at least significant where I'd have to pay out of pocket vs. using a credit.) As a DM, I know I can SDS for a later flight on the same day. Other than seat selection and the off-chance of getting stuck, is there a disadvantage to booking the cheaper itinerary knowing I wish to take a later flight that same day anyway? I'd be open to weird routings to get me home on the same day to fly at more convenient times. Cheaper flight leaves after midnight, but my preferred flights are the 3rd-6th flights of the day (the first 'early' one is too early.) SEA>MSP in case anyone cares.

Just curious what other things I could be missing? Can I really call 24 hours before my original and ask to standby on my preferred flight and my original goes away?
Old May 7, 2019, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should of course try for SDC but if it must be SDS, I'm not sure the routing can be changed.

When would the travel occur? Time of year and day of week can affect the odds. If it's soon, you can check EF for a bunch of dates to get some idea of availability patterns.

Worst case would be paying a change fee (and fare difference, plus hotel room) to get a confirmed ticket for the following day, but many agents would make the change for free, so YMMV.

How risk averse are you and what's your time worth?
Old May 7, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I'm making the assumption that with the fare difference already that the fare class wouldn't be available, which would mean no SDC. I could care less if I don't get out (other than spending the day at the airport) and if I have to spring for a room with points that evening to fly out on Saturday, I'm okay with it. I'm really just trying to blow this voucher w/o having to spend out of pocket (the red-eye vs. any other flight that day is 300 cheaper)

I did find this after posting, Standby for later flights?, but it seems ambiguous.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK elites (at least GM+ or PM+) can indeed stand by for later flights, but kettles can only do SDS for earlier flights (and they pay a fee if they are cleared for an earlier flight).

If you have some RDMs to spare, you might use them to buy up to FC at the time of ticketing and then SDC onto the flights you want, including a connecting itinerary. It's a long enough flight that being in FC would have some value, especially if you get dinner. You then earn 150% MQMs for the route actually flown.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:27 pm

So I think what you are trying to do is book the flight that departs at ~12:45am Saturday morning and actually take a flight that departs sometime on Saturday. It is an easy upgrade to F on that redeye if you do end up taking it, and I honestly don't know why you wouldn't want to take that flight rather than sitting in SeaTac all day, which you would be doing. The redeye usually has tons of empty seats, but flights the rest of the day will be sold out. You will not have availability in your fare class so you will be SDS, which means you will be sitting around all day, and hopefully you will be able to get out, but don't count on it. There are no routing changes with SDS. Flights from SEA-hub always run 100% full and they do not have room for standbys. I would not risk this strategy. There might be seats available in C+ or F since it is a Saturday and there are less medallions and business travelers. Buying C+ or F outright, gets you into SDC, which improves your odds of getting out, but your odds are still not good. I have been picking up a lot of VDBs lately - it is painful to watch the standbys waiting around, flight after flight, hoping to get out, and being continually told that they will be rolled to the next one. Either take the redeye with a free upgrade to F or spend the extra $300.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by The Situation
I have been picking up a lot of VDBs lately - it is painful to watch the standbys waiting around, flight after flight, hoping to get out, and being continually told that they will be rolled to the next one. Either take the redeye with a free upgrade to F or spend the extra $300.
Is this just anecdotal or are you certain this is the case with the vast majority of SEA flights? I ask because I've been VDBed quite a few times, but never SEA.

I only say this because - one would think that a schedule change, delay, or sympathetic agent is likely, especially for a DM, between now and flight time. I wouldn't pay $300 more because I'm sure one could find some funky connecting routing with SDC availability that one of the nice SEA Red Coats would happily rebook a pleasant DM on.

If the pax had no status - I would agree with you. But as a DM myself, I would save the $300 and bank on something occurring between now and then that would easily qualify a confirmed change without cost.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Is this just anecdotal or are you certain this is the case with the vast majority of SEA flights? I ask because I've been VDBed quite a few times, but never SEA.

I only say this because - one would think that a schedule change, delay, or sympathetic agent is likely, especially for a DM, between now and flight time. I wouldn't pay $300 more because I'm sure one could find some funky connecting routing with SDC availability that one of the nice SEA Red Coats would happily rebook a pleasant DM on.

If the pax had no status - I would agree with you. But as a DM myself, I would save the $300 and bank on something occurring between now and then that would easily qualify a confirmed change without cost.
I thought about schedule change, but I just don't see this specific flight moving much to make a difference. It's just too weird of a flight (really too short for a red-eye IMHO) for them to make any changes to it. I'm really banking on what you mentioned. SDS to a flight I really want, and if it's a no-go, find a red-coat who would route a DM by whatever means to get me home on the same day. It just seems like a bit of a hack, if one has the time to blow while waiting to get out, which I do that particular day, with no downside if I'm stuck for another day.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

So I think what you are trying to do is book the flight that departs at ~12:45am Saturday morning and actually take a flight that departs sometime on Saturday. It is an easy upgrade to F on that redeye if you do end up taking it, and I honestly don't know why you wouldn't want to take that flight rather than sitting in SeaTac all day, which you would be doing. The redeye usually has tons of empty seats, but flights the rest of the day will be sold out. You will not have availability in your fare class so you will be SDS, which means you will be sitting around all day, and hopefully you will be able to get out, but don't count on it. There are no routing changes with SDS. Flights from SEA-hub always run 100% full and they do not have room for standbys. I would not risk this strategy. There might be seats available in C+ or F since it is a Saturday and there are less medallions and business travelers. Buying C+ or F outright, gets you into SDC, which improves your odds of getting out, but your odds are still not good. I have been picking up a lot of VDBs lately - it is painful to watch the standbys waiting around, flight after flight, hoping to get out, and being continually told that they will be rolled to the next one. Either take the redeye with a free upgrade to F or spend the extra $300.
I have plans that evening which will involve an evening of drinking and that particular flight sucks as a red-eye. Too short to get any real rest. I have plenty of time to blow, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything glaring that would foil my plans. 300 savings is worth the potential headache if I need to spend a full day waiting at SeaTac. I'd just book to fly home on the next nights red-eye, but them I'm committing to another day in Seattle, when I could have potentially gotten home.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by chack22
I thought about schedule change, but I just don't see this specific flight moving much to make a difference. It's just too weird of a flight (really too short for a red-eye IMHO) for them to make any changes to it. I'm really banking on what you mentioned. SDS to a flight I really want, and if it's a no-go, find a red-coat who would route a DM by whatever means to get me home on the same day. It just seems like a bit of a hack, if one has the time to blow while waiting to get out, which I do that particular day, with no downside if I'm stuck for another day.
This flight ends up delayed (even shortly) about half the times I'm on it. I just wait for the app to load the rebooking option.

Also, the SEA agents and Red Coats are very nice. As long as you are nice to them, they will do their best to help out a DM - as they should.

Is it a hack? Sure. But their rules allow it, and we all know the later fares are a rip off.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

This flight ends up delayed (even shortly) about half the times I'm on it. I just wait for the app to load the rebooking option.

Also, the SEA agents and Red Coats are very nice. As long as you are nice to them, they will do their best to help out a DM - as they should.

Is it a hack? Sure. But their rules allow it, and we all know the later fares are a rip off.
Good to know, and maybe that's an option to begin with. I was just hoping to have my SDS situated so I wasn't waiting for a potential delay while having too many cocktails. Hack is maybe too strong of a word I suppose, just trying to take advantage of what's a stated benefit in order to blow a voucher without any out of pocket expense.

Thank you all.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:08 pm

I am SEA based and have taken the SEA-MSP redeye often due to the cost issue of flights at reasonable times. It is a terrible flight, but I have been upgraded to F every single time I have taken it, even back when I was FO. That is about as a reliable flight as DL runs. That flight departs at the same time every night between 12:35 and 1:00 as long as I have lived in SEA, other than a few days here and there off peak where they have reduced schedules. That flight will not be delayed and there will be no schedule change.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:11 pm

DL doesn't seem to have any problem filling those planes at such fares so they can't be that much of a rip off. More than some of us are willing to pay, sure, but a ripoff, no.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:37 pm

That flight departs at the same time every night between 12:35 and 1:00 as long as I have lived in SEA, other than a few days here and there off peak where they have reduced schedules. That flight will not be delayed and there will be no schedule change.
When mine's been delayed, its always been short as you say, but the system still gives me rebooking options.

Not sure if its because its late at night or what, but that's just my experience. YMMV.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Just to provide closure, I was able to SDS via twitter from the redeye to the 11:30 SEA<>MSP with no problems. I did arrive much earlier to the airport than expected and the fine folks in the SkyClub got me on a confirmed routing via LAS as it was pretty clear the 11:30 standby option was going to be iffy. Made it home around the same time I would have, just needed a pit-stop in Vegas.

To add: Was also floored that they would offer a routing via a 'non-hub'
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
more floored that they let you SDS to a different routing than your original ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.