Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Platinum Medallion upgrade from JFK to ATH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Two weeks ago I was on a Delta flight from JFK to ATH. Based on my current Platinum status, I was upgraded to Comfort Plus after booking the flight.

When I went to board my flight from JFL to ATH, my electronic pass on my phone was denied and the gate agent noticed I was issued another pass. Much to my surprise, my new boarding pass was for a Delta One seat. Based on what I read on Delta's Skymiles page for Platinum was that only Comfort Plus would be issued for upgrades on international flights.

Does any other Platinum members have experience on being upgraded to Delta One on international flights? If so, when and which routes.

Thanks,
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
That is not an upgrade for your status...but an operational upgrade because coach was oversold. They needed to bump folks to the front cabin and you were the lucky one.
bonoman and jaimemayo like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Search the forum for "operational upgrade" or "OPUP" and you'll find other examples.

I WFBF mostly on INTL routes, but in ~1MM which included a lot of Y INTL miles, I never received an OPUP to D1. It's luck of the draw (status + route). Congrats!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:27 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Indeed lucky. I've received far more Opups on AF/KL than in DL (zero at the moment)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by webmarks
It's luck of the draw (status + route). Congrats!
Route plays a huge role. The OP was flying JFK-ATH, a leisure-heavy route. On leisure-heavy routes, the odds are greater that Y will be oversold. On routes that are business-heavy, DL can usually sell every D1 seat and OpUps are seldom. Using that knowledge (and my gut intuition about which of my route options were leisure-heavy and which were business-heavy) I had a pretty good run of OpUps during the years that I purchased economy tickets - I actually had a year where I got OpUp'd on 5 of my 10 TATL flights.
ExArkie, webmarks, emrdoc and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:28 am

Oh congrats!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Years ago, I think I was only Gold Medallion, got an upgrade ATL-MEX To First Class with a companion. It was my first time flying in the front.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
I *almost* got an OpUp on LAX-SYD recently after the route opened, about 8-9 years ago (sheesh, that long). SkyClub agent said there might be a chance upon being casually and jokingly asked if there was any space for me as a Gold up front. After giving me legitimate instruction to stay near the desk while in the club, unfortunately she did inform me that J had filled with other upgrades. It would have been a nice surprise but I was perfectly fine in the back. Service was good all around, from the SkyClub to in flight. I think the excitement of DL operating to SYD was still fresh at that point.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by danola
Years ago, I think I was only Gold Medallion, got an upgrade ATL-MEX To First Class with a companion. It was my first time flying in the front.
This route is eligible for complimentary medallion upgrades (including one companion). Unless the policy was different when you flew, this was a regular elite upgrade, not a op-up. I've generally had very good luck with medallion upgrades on flights to Mexico, both the MEX and to beach markets.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Definitely an op-up.

I had the pleasure of receiving my first (and only) op-up as a then GM last year on CDG - RDU. Got the beep at the gate and a new print-out that said 1B (and then slightly awkward since I was traveling with a co-worker but they understood). Was even better because I was getting back to the US and flying and driving to a wedding later that same day so being able to sleep for 5 hours on the TATL was clutch

I've never wanted to boarding door to close more quickly before they had time to change their mind
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.