Can we still earn miles on CZ?

Reply

Old Apr 28, 19, 3:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MKE
Programs: DL Platinum, MM
Posts: 945
Can we still earn miles on CZ?

Hello, I was originally on a MU flight KMG-PEK in July. All of a sudden I was switched to a CZ flight. I called DL (it is a DL issued ticket) and they assured me I will still get miles for KMG-PEK on CZ. But CZ is no longer part of SkyTeam. Has anyone gotten miles on a CZ flight recently? CZ exited ST at the end of 2018, so I donít understand why I would get miles. Also, will CZ recognize my DL status (for free baggage)? Thank you!
jaimemayo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 3:31 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta Plat
Posts: 5,593
The CZ issue does not matter, you are entitled to miles for what you actually purchased, not what they switched you to. And that means you earn the miles as per MU earning rules (which are better than the old CZ rules anyway).

The concept is "original routing credit".

As far as baggage, do not know You can always call DL and try to have them reimburse any fee you are hit with after the fact.
exwannabe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 3:49 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,821
Generally speaking, original routing credit only applies for day of departure changes, such as IROPS or taking a bump. You usually can't get ORC for a change that happened months in advance. That said, the OP should be OK, as even though CZ isn't a SkyTeam member, you can still earn DL miles flying them as long as they ticketed you in an eligible fare class. Check the partners page for details:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

I don't know the rules about baggage.

Also, since DL changed the carrier you're flying, you can refund the ticket for no charge and buy a new one if you prefer.
TerryK and CPMaverick like this.
LoganFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:40 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MKE
Programs: DL Platinum, MM
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
Generally speaking, original routing credit only applies for day of departure changes, such as IROPS or taking a bump. You usually can't get ORC for a change that happened months in advance. That said, the OP should be OK, as even though CZ isn't a SkyTeam member, you can still earn DL miles flying them as long as they ticketed you in an eligible fare class. Check the partners page for details:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

I don't know the rules about baggage.

Also, since DL changed the carrier you're flying, you can refund the ticket for no charge and buy a new one if you prefer.
I tried to switch to the MU flight that my friend was switched to. The DL agent said that can only be done if our tix are linked. I donít want them linked because our destinations once in the US are different. So she was moved from the original MU flight to a MU flight leaving at 9:00 am. I was switched from the original MU flight to a CZ flight leaving at 9:15 am. She tried to switch to my flight but CZ said there were no more seats. I had a mixup once with MU and it took forever to get it correct so Iím not sure I want to fool around with the ticket. (The problem was that MU actually used my email name as my given name. When I asked that my ticket be reissued with my given name it took them several phone calls and two months to change the name on my ticket).
jaimemayo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 5:37 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 15,695
CZ didn't renew membership in ST end of 2018. However there's a wind down process and for all intents in 2019 they're still treated as being in ST. After Dec 31, 2019 no more earnings, lounge access, etc .
jaimemayo and jrkmsp like this.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:38 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,821
Originally Posted by jaimemayo View Post


I tried to switch to the MU flight that my friend was switched to. The DL agent said that can only be done if our tix are linked. I donít want them linked because our destinations once in the US are different. So she was moved from the original MU flight to a MU flight leaving at 9:00 am. I was switched from the original MU flight to a CZ flight leaving at 9:15 am. She tried to switch to my flight but CZ said there were no more seats. I had a mixup once with MU and it took forever to get it correct so Iím not sure I want to fool around with the ticket. (The problem was that MU actually used my email name as my given name. When I asked that my ticket be reissued with my given name it took them several phone calls and two months to change the name on my ticket).
How much did the original ticket cost? How much would it cost to buy a new ticket on the flights you desire to be on? If the latter is cheaper or even the same price, book it. Then call DL and get a refund for your original ticket (not a voucher, not minus a change fee, but a full refund to the original form of payment). You are eligible for this refund because DL changed the operating carrier on you--that's a DoT rule.
jaimemayo likes this.
LoganFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:28 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MKE
Programs: DL Platinum, MM
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
How much did the original ticket cost? How much would it cost to buy a new ticket on the flights you desire to be on? If the latter is cheaper or even the same price, book it. Then call DL and get a refund for your original ticket (not a voucher, not minus a change fee, but a full refund to the original form of payment). You are eligible for this refund because DL changed the operating carrier on you--that's a DoT rule.
This is actually pretty complicated, I think, because the KMG-PEK segment is part of an itinerary ticket....MKE-MSP-ICN-KMG-PEK-DTW-MKE. I actually did try to have the ticket reissued but the DL agent said I would have to pay a penalty and that the price was now higher.
jaimemayo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,821
Yeah, you would need to repurchase the whole itinerary, not just the KMG-PEK segment. But the DL agent is wrong--due to the carrier change, you don't have to pay a penalty. To be fair, you may have to cancel the first ticket and buy a whole new one; they might not be able to just change your original ticket. But it can be done. (IMHO, a good agent should be able to make the switch for no charge, though you may have to play the HUCA game. Just make sure you're clear that the reason you want the free change is the carrier switch.)
jaimemayo likes this.
LoganFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:14 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LAS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Marriott TE, GE
Posts: 88
Doesnít CZ give better rewards when crediting to DL? So you may be better off depending on what fare class you have. I flew MU last week and got credit but it was almost nothing as it was economy short haul in China. On another flight I upgraded to short haul business class on CZ and that was a lot more rewarding.
Skystreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LAS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Marriott TE, GE
Posts: 88
Also if itís a Delta 006 stock ticket it doesnít matter what airline youíll just get Delta earnings as if it was a Delta flight.
Skystreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:32 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco
Programs: DL
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by Skystreak View Post
Also if itís a Delta 006 stock ticket it doesnít matter what airline youíll just get Delta earnings as if it was a Delta flight.
This is absolutely not correct unless the flight is Delta-marketed. It is entirely possible to purchase flights on Delta ticket stock that are marketed by another carrier, and those flights will not earn like a standard Delta flight.
dlflyer00 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 19, 3:33 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 15,695
Originally Posted by Skystreak View Post
Doesnít CZ give better rewards when crediting to DL? So you may be better off depending on what fare class you have. I flew MU last week and got credit but it was almost nothing as it was economy short haul in China. On another flight I upgraded to short haul business class on CZ and that was a lot more rewarding.
Have it backwards. You got more in your case because a business class fare is a higher fare class then coach. All else equal, MU earns much better as they're a Group 1 earning partner.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread