Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC during layover with checked bag to earlier flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM

Hi all,

Can you fly on an earlier flight than your bag in the US? If so what happens when your bag arrives later than you?

Was flying BNE-LAX-JFK this weekend with 1 checked bag. The BNE-LAX flight came in 40' early and that gave me ~1h30 to try to get on an earlier LAX-JFK flight. I called the DM360 desk and got a seat confirmed/blocked on the earlier flight as part of a SDC (whilst still protecting a seat on my original itinerary), they did tell me I still had to pass by the transfer desk to recheck my luggage.
Unfortunately, despite being through immigration in 2' (thx Global Entry!) my bag took too long and the transfer desk wouldn't retag my bag for the earlier flight I got SDC'd on since it was T-40 and they needed 45'. They said I could either take it as carry on or just drop it with the original connecting tag (as added in BNE) for the later LAX-JFK flight.

I made it to the gate of the earlier flight at 25' prior and had a boarding pass for the earlier flight, yet was unsure what would happen with my bags, so stuck to my original flight.

Question; what would have happened if I boarded the earlier flight and my bag went on the later flight? Would DL expect me to pick it up at JFK? Or would they have shipped it to me?

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Since these were voluntary changes, you can't expect to have the bag delivered for free, but when you tried to have it retagged to your new SDCed flight, the DL agent should have accepted it as a late bag, with the understanding that you would be responsible for fetching the bag if it didn't make the flight. This is assuming no special 360 privileges.

Of course if you were able to take the bag to the gate, they should have been willing to gate check it for you, but it wouldn't get the SkyPriority designation unless the GA reused the SkyPriority tag from your international segment.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since these were voluntary changes, you can't expect to have the bag delivered for free, but when you tried to have it retagged to your new SDCed flight, the DL agent should have accepted it as a late bag, with the understanding that you would be responsible for fetching the bag if it didn't make the flight. This is assuming no special 360 privileges.

Of course if you were able to take the bag to the gate, they should have been willing to gate check it for you, but it wouldn't get the SkyPriority designation unless the GA reused the SkyPriority tag from your international segment.
This would have been a totally doable outcome. I know for sure at LAX there are now priority tags at the gates for situations like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
This would have been a totally doable outcome. I know for sure at LAX there are now priority tags at the gates for situations like this.
The last time I tried doing a gate check, the GA didn't have any SkyPriority tags..
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:40 pm
Suspended

The last time I tried doing a gate check, the GA didn't have any SkyPriority tags..
Where was this? At LAX?

To be honest, I'm not even sure the SkyPri tags mean anything; priority just gets embedded into the barcode. I could be wrong though
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:39 pm

Have you tried asking a friendly agent for a coupla of Priority tags.....to carry with you for those times the gate agent doesn't have one?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Where was this? At LAX?

To be honest, I'm not even sure the SkyPri tags mean anything; priority just gets embedded into the barcode. I could be wrong though
Yeah really, especially at JFK for domestic in my experience. Being a late bag probably gives it all the priority it needs.
LIFO... hopefully.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Have you tried asking a friendly agent for a coupla of Priority tags.....to carry with you for those times the gate agent doesn't have one?

LOL, never thought of that. Have you done this?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's no bag matching on domestic flights. Thus no issue to change flights. Agent is supposed yo tell you delivery is on you since it's a voluntary change.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:44 am

LOL, never thought of that. Have you done this?
No...I don't fly enough to worry about SDC. But, the idea "seems" doable.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's no bag matching on domestic flights. Thus no issue to change flights. Agent is supposed yo tell you delivery is on you since it's a voluntary change.
Thanks!
Agent couldn't answer that question, which was quite frustrating, but I took the no-risk approach and just took the later flight.
That said, I'm surprised a SDC/SDS when you have a bag on a later flight is even an option/allowed. Seems like such a useless "benefit"

I considered taking it to the gate but had too many liquids in there that I didn't feel like throwing away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.