Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flights between military airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta flights between military airports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by rill2503456
I have a friend on DL169 from NRT - SIN today (flightaware) and I was looking at the flight history of that plane. It looks like before arriving in Tokyo, it flew as:
DL 8824 from IWK - NRT
DL 8958 from CRK - IWK
and flew on that route a number of other times operating as various flight numbers.

Does anybody know what's up with that?
Probably to do with the end of this year's annual Balikatan US-Philippines military exercise.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by joeyE
This is petty, but for the sports teams...who generally sits in 1st?
Coaches, the best players or the biggest players?
I'm sure every team has its own rules, but I’ve always wondered about that..
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the biggest players actually have to sit in Y, because they're too large (wide) to even sit in F seats and have to sit in Economy seats with movable armrests.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
The remaining question is, on the Military charters, are the passengers' weapons secured in the hold? Or how does security work? If they have to meet 91K or standard 121/TSA regs, then I'd assume it's operated like any other flight. If not, the plane would have to be security sanitized post-flight.
No, we carried all our weapons with us and essentially treated them as carry on luggage - that you better not lose!

I must admit it's a bit strange to see M249 Squad Automatic Weapons and M4s just carried about casually on a Southwest flight (to Kileen, TX).
We were told not to carry ammo on board but only time you are really checked is coming out of theater.

On the way to/from theater we stopped 2x over 1x back and a few Soldiers stayed on the plane to make sure the cleaning/ground crew didn't mess w/ anything.

Company/Battalion/Brigade commanders CSMs/1SGs got majority of the first class seats (really business class) going out (none on return flight). Remaining F seats generally went to the Soldier's who had to serve as ground crew and load the planes.
MikeNYC1 and catawba like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bloc0102
They re-configure these planes for sports teams, they put a lot more 1st seats in with up to 60" of pitch:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...air-adds-teams
I don't think they regularly reconfigure, I think they have a semi-permanent sub-fleet, though they may change them back to standard commercial seating for the off-season.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think they regularly reconfigure, I think they have a semi-permanent sub-fleet, though they may change them back to standard commercial seating for the off-season.
the wiki at the top of the 757 Interior Reconfiguration thread identifies 11 jets with 72F seating
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:41 am

The military charters can be on any equipment. Equipment is sized to the need. The NBA charters are all flown on a 757 subfleet with all business seating and more room than normal business. The NBA owns the aircraft and Delta manages and staffs them.
Seating on military charters is up to each organization however as a general rule the loading crew gets to sit in front. Remaining big seats seem to go to officers on army and air force charters. Marine Corps charters seem to always put officers in back and NCO’s in the front. Even the Commanding Officer is usually in back.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Jeff767
The NBA owns the aircraft and Delta manages and staffs them.
Delta owns the aircraft (and manages and staffs them). It's simply a charter agreement, and Delta configures the planes appropriately for the season-long arrangement.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Delta owns the aircraft (and manages and staffs them). It's simply a charter agreement, and Delta configures the planes appropriately for the season-long arrangement.
Delta does not own the aircraft. It’s a bit more complicated than just saying the NBA owns them but Delta is just leasing the airframes. The NBA payed for the reconfiguration and Delta can’t change the seating. Here is the legal explanation.

According to a letter obtained by Bloomberg from NBA attorneys to federal regulators, the new aircraft will join Delta’s current fleet of eight Airbus A319. The 11 Boeing aircraft will be transferred from Delta’s ownership to a private leasing company, which will then lease the aircraft to a trust controlled by the league. As part of the leasing agreement, Delta will have full rights to the aircraft, including use of the aircraft for other charters.

Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Jeff767

Delta does not own the aircraft. It’s a bit more complicated than just saying the NBA owns them but Delta is just leasing the airframes. The NBA payed for the reconfiguration and Delta can’t change the seating. Here is the legal explanation.

According to a letter obtained by Bloomberg from NBA attorneys to federal regulators, the new aircraft will join Delta’s current fleet of eight Airbus A319. The 11 Boeing aircraft will be transferred from Delta’s ownership to a private leasing company, which will then lease the aircraft to a trust controlled by the league. As part of the leasing agreement, Delta will have full rights to the aircraft, including use of the aircraft for other charters.
My apologies, it seems you're 100% correct.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.