Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

posting miles from China Eastern flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

posting miles from China Eastern flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
After living in China a long time, but Shenzhen where MU has few flights, I am now close to Shanghai. This year RT to LAX, Phnom Penh, various domestic Chinese flights.

ALWAYS make sure your DL number is on your boarding pass at check-in. That will not 100% guarantee miles are credited automatically, though.

I checked in online for PVG-Phnom Penh, put my Skymiles number, it showed Elite Plus, got to PVG and checked in. Noticed no Skymiles number. Had it added to reservation. Still had to fax in copies to get mileage. Told MU said it is not eligible for mileage. Faxed again and made a stink and finally got miles.

PVG-LAX-PVG: again, number disappeared so had to input again at check-in both ways. Did get miles in only 4-5 days, though.

PVG-Dalian: Number was properly input, on my boarding pass, got miles 5 days later.
Dalian-PVG: Number disappeared (same record locator as outbound, as bought as a RT ticket), had to input, showed fine on boarding pass, 10 days later still had to fax in. Finally got full MQM's (as "bonus" MQM) and partial RDM (again, as Bonus miles), obviously they manually gave to me as MU was refusing to admit the flight was eligible.

Now I wonder, do I have an MU FF number out there I didn't know about??
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by TTT
Can you walk through this a bit more. I tried on Garuda's website with the MU PNR which then presented an option to search via ticket number. I enter the 781 ticket from MU and last name but didn't pull anything up (also couldn't get anything on the Saudia site). Was there any trick with your last name that you needed to use?
I think you got the process correct. I'm impressed you also knew about Saudia's site. For me, ticket number and last name worked once Garuda's site errored-out and showed the ticket number field. Can't think of anything more except to try adding a first name and/or middle initial to the beginning of your last name.

For me, I think the specific error is that MU has my correct Skymiles number, but associates it with their own ff program. I eventually get Delta ff credit when MU agrees the miles won't post into their program with my Delta ff number.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
MU is relatively simple in terms of procedure:

1) Make sure SM or FB number is on actual boarding pass
2) save boarding pass
3) wait 5-7 days

...get mileage or send in BP to DL or FB if need be.

i have had more than a few “you sure you do not want to credit to MU” discussions over the years where some new MU number is magically on my BP, but just politely decline and get one with your number and status showing. Never leave checkin without the BP showing the number/status you want input.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:46 pm

I booked a JFK-PVG-SYD-PVG-JFK business class "I" directly via china eastern and linked my DL SM# to it
I wanted to make sure it was linked properly but was not able to find my delta SM# anywhere on their website

I checked on Garuda and Saudia websites using the trick, but was not able to pull up my ticket# starting with 781
I called China eastern directly and they said my DL SM# was properly linked

I just need to make sure the DL SM# is properly printed on all 4 segment's boarding pass and should be ok getting the credits within a week or so?

Can anyone verify my calculations for this mileage run?
Cost: $3284.65
Miles Flown Estimated: 27,334
MQD: 10,933.60 due to 40% partner earnings
MQM: 41,002 due to 150% mileage flown
Skymiles: 54,668 base miles (120% Diamond) = 65,601.6

Last edited by kemichu; Jan 1, 2020 at 1:54 pm
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kemichu
I booked a JFK-PVG-SYD-PVG-JFK business class "I" directly via china eastern and linked my DL SM# to it
I wanted to make sure it was linked properly but was not able to find my delta SM# anywhere on their website

I checked on Garuda and Saudia websites using the trick, but was not able to pull up my ticket# starting with 781
I called China eastern directly and they said my DL SM# was properly linked

I just need to make sure the DL SM# is properly printed on all 4 segment's boarding pass and should be ok getting the credits within a week or so?

Can anyone verify my calculations for this mileage run?
Cost: $3284.65
Miles Flown Estimated: 27,334
MQD: 10,933.60 due to 40% partner earnings
MQM: 41,002 due to 150% mileage flown
Skymiles: 54,668 base miles (120% Diamond) = 65,601.6
For Delta Diamond, shouldn't the RDM be 54,668 + 120% of 27,334 = 87,468?

Last edited by metalblaze; Jan 15, 2020 at 11:01 am Reason: Typo..
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: delta skymiles
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bowgie
My miles on a recent China Southern trip posted after about 8-10 days. However, two China Eastern trips from last fall never posted, and after a month, I had to fax in my MU boarding passes to Delta in get the miles credited. The Skymiles number was printed correctly on the MU boarding passes beginning with "DL", but the miles did not post.

All three trips were booked on Orbitz, and my ff number *was* entered on Orbitz correctly and to "DL". What I think is happening is that the two Chinese airlines try to credit to their own ff program, not the one I entered at booking.

Before I flew the last trip, I looked up my China Southern reservation on Garuda's website. (The web site allows you to enter a different airline's ticket number after it fails to find it as a Garuda flight using the reservation number.) My ff number was correct, but shown as being credited to China Southern's ff program. I changed that to "Delta Skymiles". Got a confirmation e-mail from Garuda Airlines informing me of the change and showing the corrected ff number and program. Delta Skymiles later posted correctly.

If your China Eastern flights do not post after a month, follow-up with Delta. Don't wait too long; you only have six months to claim missing Skymiles. It used to be a year.
Thank you very much for this hack - I have been unable to get MU on the phone to add my SM number - this worked like a charm!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by metalblaze
For Delta Diamond, shouldn't the RDM be 54,668 + 120% of 27,334 = 87,468?
Unless there's a leg missing, I"m seeing 24,526 for JFK-PVG-SYD RT. ~24,500 ... 24,500 * 3.2 (100% base, 100% bonus, 120% diamond) = 78,400. I believe this would result in earning 75,000 rdm's if this was booked as a single ticket as it hits the 75k cap - unless the cap is not applicable for Partner earning?

Edit to add:

Based on 24,500 flown miles, the MQM total would be 36,750

Last edited by Schmoops; Jan 17, 2020 at 9:28 am Reason: added MQM total

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.