Search

New 764 D1 Suites won't have doors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ethernal
Must be a super small W cabin then.
The seat count by cabin is known. It was in the OP; it's in the DL video: C34/W20/Y+28/Y156
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
This is extremely disappointing. Despite the lack of direct aisle access, I prefer the 757 D1 seat to the 767. I don’t think that will be changing with this new design. The seats are simply too narrow to lie down in comfortably. The 757 has more room.

With United having North American exclusivity on the alternating straight-angled design, I bet Delta had a hard time finding an efficient configuration that worked on a 767. Can anyone think of a good spacious design on a 767 with lieflats other than Polaris?

The Air Canada angled 767 seat is okay but I wouldn’t call it better than the Delta seat.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by rcurry01
This is extremely disappointing. Despite the lack of direct aisle access, I prefer the 757 D1 seat to the 767. I don’t think that will be changing with this new design. The seats are simply too narrow to lie down in comfortably. The 757 has more room.

With United having North American exclusivity on the alternating straight-angled design, I bet Delta had a hard time finding an efficient configuration that worked on a 767. Can anyone think of a good spacious design on a 767 with lieflats other than Polaris?

The Air Canada angled 767 seat is okay but I wouldn’t call it better than the Delta seat.
I agree. I almost wish there was an option to do a 2-2 configuration rather than 1-2-1. (no idea if you can even truly do that in what is really a widebody aircraft given where the floor fasteners are and what evacuation regs would say about it). I know some would disagree with me, but I would trade direct aisle access if it meant being able to sleep. Taking the extra aisle space away would enable Delta to make the seats wide enough to work. 767 D1 seats are just not worth the money for me as I've never been able to really successfully sleep in them.

When I saw these seats my heart literally sank a little. I currently take a connection and fly United or American over take a nonstop 767 for a red-eye (daytime it is perfectly fine, but I'd also say W is perfectly fine for that). I got excited that I'd be able to fly Delta more TATL when they said they were doing a refurb but that clearly won't be the case. About the only US3 product worse in the air today is United's 8 abreast business class (which is rapidly getting phased out).
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The seat count by cabin is known. It was in the OP; it's in the DL video: C34/W20/Y+28/Y156
I don't see how they could fit 34J and 20W seats ahead of the exit doors. But hey, I also didn't think Delta could squeeze 180 seats (including 20F) on a 737-900... so I'm very curious to see how it is configured.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't see how they could fit 34J and 20W seats ahead of the exit doors. But hey, I also didn't think Delta could squeeze 180 seats (including 20F) on a 737-900... so I'm very curious to see how it is configured.
If AA manged to get 172 seats (with 16 F) on a 738, I guess anything in terms of packing and stacking is possible.
ethernal likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I don't understand why Delta would reduce the number of business-class seats. Delta should have increased them and increased premium-economy while decreasing economy. The cabins are mostly full. Meanwhile, United is ADDING business-class and premium-class seats in a greater number than Delta.

Regardless, the doors on the Delta One suites are useless because they do not close all the way. Other airlines have doors that close 100%.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1-2-1 on a 767 is just too tight. This will continue to be an uncompetitive hard product.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must be a super small W cabin then. The bulkhead behind the current D1 cabin is where the boarding doors are. I believe the lavatories are already behind the boarding doors, not in front of them. I guess you're proposing they've been able to cabin-engineer the plane so that they can fit in (presumably) three rows of W (18 seats) in the space of 6 former D1 seats?

I suppose it might be possible if they took out the back part of the forward gally and put two extra D1 seats there and took out 2 rows in the back and that makes room for 3 rows of W? That's pretty amazing if so (6J seats for 18 W seats is a great revenue tradeoff...).
No, I think this is more likely: The J lavs which are behind the 2L/R doors could be moved in front of the doors, possibly with some closet space (that they may take from the front of the J cabin, moving some J seats forward). The lavs could go where the last row or two of J is on the current configuration. That frees up more space behind the 2L/R doors - where premium economy will go (I think there’s a Y galley a little ways aft of the 2L/R doors, presumably PE would all fit in front of that), followed by economy behind that.
(I don’t know if this is the actual plan, but it’s one conceivable option.)
BenA likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, I think this is more likely: The J lavs which are behind the 2L/R doors could be moved in front of the doors, possibly with some closet space (that they may take from the front of the J cabin, moving some J seats forward). The lavs could go where the last row or two of J is on the current configuration. That frees up more space behind the 2L/R doors - where premium economy will go (I think there’s a Y galley a little ways aft of the 2L/R doors, presumably PE would all fit in front of that), followed by economy behind that.
(I don’t know if this is the actual plan, but it’s one conceivable option.)

Ahhhhh okay. That makes so much more sense.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
At best the thread should have the word SEATS!
The most accurate title would be "New 764 D1 Seats Are The Same as Before Except Reupholstered".
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:30 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't understand why Delta would reduce the number of business-class seats. Delta should have increased them and increased premium-economy while decreasing economy. The cabins are mostly full. Meanwhile, United is ADDING business-class and premium-class seats in a greater number than Delta.
Because United is banking on the red-hot economy ... even though they've already said they see signs of softening demand. When this bull slows down, it's the Y seats that will fill up and not J. Delta's just being more conservative, which seems like a smart move right now.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, I think this is more likely: The J lavs which are behind the 2L/R doors could be moved in front of the doors, possibly with some closet space (that they may take from the front of the J cabin, moving some J seats forward). The lavs could go where the last row or two of J is on the current configuration.
Right, that's what I was thinking. (Or the lavs could go just behind 1L/R like the 763s.) IDK if that's what they'll actually do, but 40J to 34J does more or less align with that.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Have changed title to include Suites
Obscure2k/Mod
Which is misleading as Delta is not calling these suites nor marketing them as suites. I suggest changing the title to say "New 764 D1 seats won't have doors" Thank you.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:51 pm

The most accurate title would be "New 764 D1 Seats Are The Same as Before Except Reupholstered".

Haha! Nailed it!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
Because United is banking on the red-hot economy ... even though they've already said they see signs of softening demand. When this bull slows down, it's the Y seats that will fill up and not J. Delta's just being more conservative, which seems like a smart move right now.
It's a bit more nuanced than that. United is based almost exclusively in Tier 1 cities (New York, Chicago, SFO, DC). Houston isn't but has heavy global travel from oil.

Delta? ATL, MSP, SLC, LAX, DTW... Detroit benefits from auto manufacturing, and LAX is a big (but low yielding) market.. JFK is Delta's only real Tier 1 city but faces more competition than United (which owns Newark - the first choice of an affluent New Jersey or Connecticut resident).

It should be no surprise that United seeks a premium-cabin heavy setup given the cities they reside in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.