Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Possible Downgrade from equipment change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

This is going to be interesting.

(Notice it still says FC at the bottom)
So about a hour before boarding; aircraft seems to have switched from 739 to 738. I'm in Comfort+ with no notification thus far.

Last edited by ryandc99; Apr 3, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, a last minute equipment substitution --

3 Apr 05:35
Equipment Adjustment
Tail Number changed from N820DN to N380DA
Actual Equipment changed from 739 to 738
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Yep, a last minute equipment substitution --

3 Apr 05:35
Equipment Adjustment
Tail Number changed from N820DN to N380DA
Actual Equipment changed from 739 to 738
The question is do I try to sort this out at the Skyclub now or let it play out at the gate.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
The question is do I try to sort this out at the Skyclub now or let it play out at the gate.
Did you originally purchase First or get upgraded into it?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcadwell
Did you originally purchase First or get upgraded into it?
Purchased F. Though I would guess there are at least 3 medallions sitting in F, even with the loss of four FC seats.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:31 am

I'd start at Skyclub and not wait.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Purchased F. Though I would guess there are at least 3 medallions sitting in F, even with the loss of four FC seats.
Do you have status? What fare class did you purchase? The answers to both of these questions can affect your priority to retain a FC seat.

I'd try to sort this out as early as possible, maybe by calling DL now, then asking at check in (which you've apparently already done, so I suspect that you're airside at JFK now), then in the SC, and finally at the gate (get there early, and be ready to ask for a redcoat). If you get it fixed, try to board as early as possible.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have status? What fare class did you purchase? The answers to both of these questions can affect your priority to retain a FC seat.

I'd try to sort this out as early as possible, maybe by calling DL now, then asking at check in (which you've apparently already done, so I suspect that you're airside at JFK now), then in the SC, and finally at the gate (get there early, and be ready to ask for a redcoat). If you get it fixed, try to board as early as possible.
Agreed. I'd begin working on it ASAP.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:46 am

Flight left already. No updates from OP....boooooo
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JTE458
Flight left already. No updates from OP....boooooo
Does the wifi reach to seat 57E???

cre95, MikeNYC1, strickerj and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Does the wifi reach to seat 57E???

No, the tail assembly interferes with the signal.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:04 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I am curious about the questions of whether the OP has status or not? If he purchased F, it doesn't matter what status he has correct? He is still entitled to F or compensation if he is not seated in F. I am just curious if the status related questions were to determine the priority of resolving the issue.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, status should not matter at all in terms of restitution.
But in practice, there are 3 main ways to prioritize downgrades - status, fare class, seating location*. AA will often just focus on the latter - if your seat doesn't exist in the FC cabin anymore, then too bad. I don't agree that's a smart way, but it's easy to implement as you don't have to shuffle seat assignments around. However, between the other two methods, whether fare class or status should be the 1st or 2nd factor considered is certainly debatable.

Of course they can also solicit volunteers for the downgrade, will be interesting to hear if that ended up happening.

*I'm not saying there aren't others, but i would be surprised to see them used - e.g., time of check-in, MQD/MQM levels, etc.
ATLflyer2017 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:10 am

Isn't the normal comp for downgrade $200 voucher and refund in difference between F (or is is Z..which what he purchased) and Y?
Widgets likes this.

Last edited by OHDL1; Apr 3, 2019 at 11:15 am Reason: clean up
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Isn't the normal comp for downgrade $200 voucher and refund in difference between F (or is is Z..which what he purchased) and Y?
No idea what's normal. This happened to me on SLC-ASE a few years ago, and my wife and I each got $300 when the equipment changed from a CR9 to a CR7 with 3 less F seats. The difference was I volunteered to downgrade when they called me several months in advance with this offer. It was also a 45 minute flight on a regional jet, so who really cares about F (we kept our F seats on the much longer connecting flight beforehand). If I was forced to downgrade on the OP's flight just 1 hour before flight time, I'd expect more.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.