Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Question: int'l arrivals @ ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by shammers
This statement seems impossible, legally. U.S. citizen has bags in hand, in the airport, in the city he wishes to remain in. What authority (TSA / local police / etc.) could possibly force someone to check a bag?
There is no physical access from E to the outside world without going through the airport airside. They most certainly can stop you from entering airside with your bags, and can also stop you from walking out on the tarmak.

I still would be nearly certain that you can check your bags to the terminal. That was how it was done for years, and even though it is no longer needed in general there have to be many edge cases (IROPS) where one has to do this.

The only real question is if the recheck to terminal might catch the attention of an airline agent looking for hidden city flyers (I doubt it, but I rarely have bags and rarely transit ATL, so do not know).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Does anyone have an update on this? I am arriving from Lima with bags (should be terminal F) and bought a cheap southwest flight home and won't be continuing on my Delta flight. From what people are saying, arriving in F it isn't a problem, but what about E?

Last edited by NDtraveler; Jul 29, 2019 at 10:42 am
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by pgh234
But it DOES matter because if it is E, then the OP's bag will go to the reclaim area instead of to F with the local traffic. If the OP picks up their bag in E, they will have to recheck it to get through security. Then the bag goes to LGA.
Having done this back in the day before F, what you did was "tear" off the tag, walk over to your NEW airline and check in. Never had a problem. I wonder if that still works?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Does anyone have an update on this? I am arriving from Lima with bags (should be terminal F) and bought a cheap southwest flight home and won't be continuing on my Delta flight. From what people are saying, arriving in F it isn't a problem, but what about E?
No update and there likely isn't going to be one anytime soon. If you're on an itinerary with a connection and you arrive in E, you must recheck your bag; you can't walk out with it unless you can take it through TSA security.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:06 pm

In E, is there a Southwest counter?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM
No, there is not.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:39 pm

ANd there isn't one in F either. You're going to have to exit landside and take the bus back to the domestic terminal.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm

NDTraveler, how long is your scheduled ATL layover? If you can get your bag short-checked to ATL things will go smoother (though you'd still need to take the bus from international to domestic).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:50 pm

Do you mean F?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:55 pm

I guess either E or F. Sounds like there isn't.

My theoretical layover is 12 hours on Delta.

My actual layover Delta to Southwest is 4.5 hours.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:39 pm

If your delta layover is more than 6 hours then you can request the short check to ATL. This will be your best bet. Whether you land at E or F, your bags will go to international terminal baggage claim, grab them, then get on the bus to domestic and check-in with SWA. That bus is a pain and only runs every 30 minutes (maybe every 15?) but 4.5 hours is plenty for this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Are there full service baggage desks before the recheck in E?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.