Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Question: int'l arrivals @ ATL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:34 am

I don't know this for a fact but surely one of the options at ATL Concourse E is to simply ask the recheck desk to reroute your checked bags to ATL baggage claim after going thru customs? There are many reasons one might not be able to continue travelling the original route
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, you don't want to call DL's attention to the fact that you won't be taking the last segment. In prinicple, they could insist that your ticket be changed with you paying the change fee and fare difference, although this doesn't tend to happen in practice unless you do this often, and in that case DL would have different ways of penalizing you.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
If they're staying in Atlanta, and they arrive at E, they'd probably get directed to the rebooking counter to get a new tag. If at F, they can just walk out.
If OP arrives at E and rips off tag, I don't think DL or TSA can push them / their luggage onto the plane. There must be a way to leave when bag is in-hand in terminal E, and it's too big to fit through X-ray. And if there isn't, I really wonder what this situation escalation looks like.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:06 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by shammers
If OP arrives at E and rips off tag, I don't think DL or TSA can push them / their luggage onto the plane. There must be a way to leave when bag is in-hand in terminal E, and it's too big to fit through X-ray. And if there isn't, I really wonder what this situation escalation looks like.
You're absolutely right. There may be a way to do it, and it probably happens every day! But, so far, in years of posts about this, I have never seen anyone post that they have tried this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
You're absolutely right. There may be a way to do it, and it probably happens every day! But, so far, in years of posts about this, I have never seen anyone post that they have tried this.
Probably no wi-fi in that hidden TSA cell
davetravels likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
In the E terminal, you have to recheck the luggage unless it’s carry on size and TSA acceptable. If there are no tags, you will have to wait in a line and get a bag tag.

For those folks who don’t understand the ATL layout, if you arrive in F and have a connection, you’ll be going through the F customs and recheck there (or walk out). If you arrive E and are connecting, you go through customs in E. If you are staying in ATL and arrive in E, you walk > 1 mile to F and go through customs there and claim your luggage in F.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:23 pm

I'd assume they'd go pull up your reservation and see oh! you're headed to LGA. Here's a new bag tag. Next time remember not to remove it while in ATL. At which point you'd have to explain what was going on and get a supervisor and then hope they'd believe your excuse and then I'd guess there's some sort of way to send your bag to a regular carousel at either Int or Dom, but who knows.

It's not a risk I'd be willing to take.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
If cheaper than change fees, Ship your checked bag home and only use carry-on's for the trip to ATL.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have to think there's a method to get around the normal exit process. Legally they can't force you to go through security or have your bags scanned. They can do it when you're departing on a flight as a condition of accessing the plane. However they can't refuse to let you exit with your bags if refuse screening. It'd be a 4th amendment violation. Im sure most don't care, but there has to be a process for those that would.

OP, if you land at E I'd simply tell them you're wanting to hand off bags to family before continuing on. If they give grief, point out you weren't expecting any issues since you have to collect bags.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
If cheaper than change fees, Ship your checked bag home and only use carry-on's for the trip to ATL.
A good suggestion, but from Italy I think this would be unlikely.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
We tried this at the end of 2017. Really cheap GSO - BRU tickets but had a 8 hour layover in ATL on the way home.

Since we live in RDU anyway, we decided to book a refundable WN ticket and planned to just get our bags at ATL and then re-check them at the WN counter instead of DL.

Unfortunately there is no WN counter and despite our efforts they refused to do anything except recheck on to GSO -- so we ended up SkyClub hopping for 8 hours.

I also mistakenly thought this would work because at any other US gateway I've gone through it would, but ATL is the exception
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
We tried this at the end of 2017. Really cheap GSO - BRU tickets but had a 8 hour layover in ATL on the way home.

Since we live in RDU anyway, we decided to book a refundable WN ticket and planned to just get our bags at ATL and then re-check them at the WN counter instead of DL.

Unfortunately there is no WN counter and despite our efforts they refused to do anything except recheck on to GSO -- so we ended up SkyClub hopping for 8 hours.

I also mistakenly thought this would work because at any other US gateway I've gone through it would, but ATL is the exception
I'm confused. How would this work at any other airport? No airline will check bags to destination other than where you're ticketed to fly to. Also could haul bags (on airport shuttle bus) from international arrivals to domestic terminal to checkin with WN.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm confused. How would this work at any other airport? No airline will check bags to destination other than where you're ticketed to fly to. Also could haul bags (on airport shuttle bus) from international arrivals to domestic terminal to checkin with WN.
I assume if they arrived at F the bags still would have been tagged to GSO, but they could have just walked out with them (which is how it would have "worked"). From the story it appears they arrived at E and had their transiting baggage routed to customs E, from which there is no way to exit customs with checked bags (and where it appears Southwest doesn't have a transfer desk to accept bags).
Old May 14, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
From the story it appears they arrived at E and had their transiting baggage routed to customs E, from which there is no way to exit customs with checked bags
This statement seems impossible, legally. U.S. citizen has bags in hand, in the airport, in the city he wishes to remain in. What authority (TSA / local police / etc.) could possibly force someone to check a bag?
Duke787 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
This statement seems impossible, legally. U.S. citizen has bags in hand, in the airport, in the city he wishes to remain in. What authority (TSA / local police / etc.) could possibly force someone to check a bag?
The airport isn't set up for it - E customs is exclusively for transit customers / there's no way to get a suitcase out of there without checking it as customs exits back into the sterile area. When terminating in ATL before F was built, you would claim your bags in E, clear customs, re-check large baggage to be deposited on a carousel landside, and re-clear security to take the train to the north/south terminals.
Duke787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.