Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

separate tickets Delta baggage transfer at London Heathrow (LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG/MR Platinum P Elite, Hyatt Globalist,

Hi! I am making a connection via LHR next week: from the U.S. on a Delta ticket, to Paris on an Air France ticket on the same day. Can someone please advise if Delta is going to transfer my luggage all the way through (to Paris)? Or, do I need to go through immigration, reclaim my luggage, go through customs, re-check my bags at the AF counter and then go through immigration and security again?

I would really appreciate any advice...thank you.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL will thru tag if you ask them.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL will thru tag if you ask them.
FlyerCO is correct. This is def true for partner airlines, but I've also been successful when I've requested my bags be interlined with BA at LHR.

I'm going to answer a question that you haven't asked yet. You need to allow plenty of time for a separate ticket connection at LHR that involves changing terminals. You will be arriving at T3 and departing from T4. These terminals are not physically connected in any way, and are actually quite far apart. If you don't want to go through immigration and want to make an airside connection, there is an airside shuttle bus service at LHR. It isn't very quick. For my last last transfer similar to yours (T4 to T5) at LHR, I had three hours and that was the bare minimum that I would suggest. LHR is notorious for delays in the mornings when the TATL flights arrive. It is not uncommon to circle for a while before being allowed to land. The shuttle itself takes a lot more time than you would think (NOTHING like the JFK T2 to T4 shuttle) and you will need to go through security again when you arrive at T4. All of those things add up, and if something goes awry, neither DL nor AF is obligated to assist you. So leave yourself plenty of time.

BTW, if you are ST Elite+ (DL GM or higher) you will have access to the SkyTeam lounge in T4. If you allow yourself plenty of time for the connection and if you don't need all that time, this is a pretty decent lounge to hang out in. It generally has good food. I'm not sure if there are showers - others can confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.