Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bizarre Compensation Offer - $25 coupon for $2 headphones

Bizarre Compensation Offer - $25 coupon for $2 headphones

Old Mar 23, 19, 8:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Posts: 1,416
Bizarre Compensation Offer - $25 coupon for $2 headphones

I was on a flight in coach and had forgotten my headphones, so asked the FA for headphones and was charged $2. The headphones worked throughout the flight. When we land, I plugged them into my phone as we're getting ready to deplane and they work for a second then stop working.

I emailed DL asking for a refund; possibly bad form, but IMO, no matter how much I'm paying, if I'm paying for headphones, they should work for longer than 3 hours. I didn't complain, just asked for a refund of the $2. In response, they issue an apology and provide a $25 DL credit. Is this a normal occurrence? It seems like they're throwing money away (not that I'm not appreciative, just genuinely curious).
jetsfan92588 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 12:22 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 86,555
In DL's math which calculates the breakage from their coupons and certs, a $2 refund could be approximately equivalent to the $25 voucher, which is much cheaper (simpler and easier as well as avoiding credit card fees or check fees and mailing costs) to process than a refund to a credit card or a check sent to you. I know that some businesses claimed about a decade ago that the cost of issuing a check (for a refund, reimbursement, etc.) was $35 and the cost has surely increased since then.
defrosted likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 1:21 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The ATL
Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Posts: 451
I was on a 332 positioning flight from ATL-JFK in F. As soon as I boarded, I handed the over-the-ear headphones to the FA because I wasn't planning on using them.

After 10,000 feet, they apologize that not enough headphones were stocked on the flight and different FA stopped by my seat and issued 5,000 Sky Miles. They had no purchased food loaded for coach, either. Maybe it being an 88xx "one-off" flight played a role in some items being unstocked?

Earpods valued at $25 as above, no over-the-ear valued at around $50 in SM. Wish I could get a 5,000 mile "headphone delete" on every flight.
FlyBitcoin is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 3:48 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,412
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
I was on a 332 positioning flight from ATL-JFK in F. As soon as I boarded, I handed the over-the-ear headphones to the FA because I wasn't planning on using them.

After 10,000 feet, they apologize that not enough headphones were stocked on the flight and different FA stopped by my seat and issued 5,000 Sky Miles. They had no purchased food loaded for coach, either. Maybe it being an 88xx "one-off" flight played a role in some items being unstocked?

Earpods valued at $25 as above, no over-the-ear valued at around $50 in SM. Wish I could get a 5,000 mile "headphone delete" on every flight.
Headphones likely had to do with it being a widebody D1 aircraft. Even domestically they get LSTN headphones due to the plug. As for food, I didn't realize coach got Bob for that route. F I know gets a meal, but that's because it's an exception route.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 7:59 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,395
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Headphones likely had to do with it being a widebody D1 aircraft. Even domestically they get LSTN headphones due to the plug. As for food, I didn't realize coach got Bob for that route. F I know gets a meal, but that's because it's an exception route.
It's a food for purchase route - so he's saying those wraps, etc were not loaded.
ethernal is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 10:39 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,412
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
It's a food for purchase route - so he's saying those wraps, etc were not loaded.
I understand that. It's an exception route for meals in F, thus I didn't think it'd get BoB in Y as it normally wouldn't even get meals in F.
MSPeconomist likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:02 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: YYZ, HKG, MFM
Programs: AC25K, AS MVP, WS Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, DL,BA,KE
Posts: 1,863
DL ar giving away Skypeso like candies these days. Not complaining.
Jma12 is online now  
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:18 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,412
Originally Posted by Jma12 View Post
DL ar giving away Skypeso like candies these days. Not complaining.
I think its part (not the only, just part) of reason DL awards are ridiculously priced. Inflation run out of control, just as it does with real currency.
Jma12 likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: YYZ, HKG, MFM
Programs: AC25K, AS MVP, WS Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, DL,BA,KE
Posts: 1,863
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I think its part (not the only, just part) of reason DL awards are ridiculously priced. Inflation run out of control, just as it does with real currency.
Skypeso is like a reflection of our society... rich gets richer (expensive premium redemption), and some cheap redemption in kettle class long haul for 25k (race to the bottom).
Jma12 is online now  
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:35 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: BNA
Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Posts: 736
I don't find it bizarre in the slightest. Seems perfectly logical, as some mentioned giving a credit is net cheaper (and/or easier) than issuing a refund. Plus this way it looks like a nice compensation gesture. Win win, unless you rarely use Delta for personal reasons and the credit would be difficult to use.
MSPeconomist likes this.
defrosted is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 11:49 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: DL DM, AA PP
Posts: 1,319
I think trying to compare the cost of offering the $25 voucher to the cost of issuing a $2 refund is missing the point. It was a customer service gesture in response to a complaint.

If I had to guess, the agent who reviewed the OPs complaint skimmed and saw "headphones didn't work" and didn't notice that they stopped working after the flight.
MSPeconomist likes this.
rucksack is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 5:14 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,957
Some may have noticed DL's announcement last fall about reducing the use of single-use plastics. I wonder how many of these headphones end up in the trash every day? Seems terribly wasteful. I'd like to see them sell only high quality headphones on board that actually do cost $25.00 or even more, and they will be something that you actually would want to keep.
jdrtravel is offline  
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:08 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 1,821
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588 View Post
I was on a flight in coach and had forgotten my headphones, so asked the FA for headphones and was charged $2. The headphones worked throughout the flight. When we land, I plugged them into my phone as we're getting ready to deplane and they work for a second then stop working.

I emailed DL asking for a refund; possibly bad form, but IMO, no matter how much I'm paying, if I'm paying for headphones, they should work for longer than 3 hours. I didn't complain, just asked for a refund of the $2. In response, they issue an apology and provide a $25 DL credit. Is this a normal occurrence? It seems like they're throwing money away (not that I'm not appreciative, just genuinely curious).
Due to a tendency of folks not to use vouchers, no "real money" being involved, etc., as far as I can tell vouchers usually get treated at 25% of face value. So a $25 voucher probably represents a $6.25 liability. Moreover, $25 is probably the smallest denomination voucher the system is set up to handle...but $6.25 for a $2 set of headphones isn't utterly unreasonable, especially in the context of building a little bit of customer goodwill for a net of $4.25.
GrayAnderson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: