Wiki Posts
Search

PM upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 360, Marriott Ambassador
PM upgrades

I am flying MSP-SNA and am a PM and am currently 14 out of 24 for a FC upgrade. Is this a case of that many DMs being on the same flight? I will be making DM in a few weeks and wonder if my chances will improve after that.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pokerloser949
I am flying MSP-SNA and am a PM and am currently 14 out of 24 for a FC upgrade. Is this a case of that many DMs being on the same flight? I will be making DM in a few weeks and wonder if my chances will improve after that.
DM's, PM's with higher fare class (if you have an X/V fare, there could be a considerable number of those), and any level of Medallion who is applying an instrument (Global Upgrade certs, Regional Upgrade certs, mileage upgrades) are ahead of you. So yes, having DM should improve your odds quite a bit.

I have edited LBJ's remarks a bit. 3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 21, 2019 at 7:15 am Reason: trying to be a little more descriptive
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
2019 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:08 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
2 weeks ago on a n/s redeye from las to jfk I was upgraded at T-120, I'm just a PM. On AA where I am (still) EXP my upgs were not happening too often. I attribute my PM upg to DL running many more n/s (and 1/.s) between JFK and LAS.
EXP on AA = DM on DL
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 360, Marriott Ambassador
Thanks for the info. Looks like I am on a T fare so not sure where that ranks
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
For fare classes that are eligible to be upgraded, the order is, from highest priority to lowest priority, Y B M S H Q K L U T X V N. T is pretty low. And I'm not surprised you'd be #14 on a flight to SNA--that's a route with a lot of business travelers. Being DM will help, but even then, I wouldn't be surprised if you sometimes sat in the back on that route.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
There are a couple of other factors worth mentioning:

One is the Delta Reserve American Express. If you have this card you get higher upgrade priority. Medallion level and fare class come first, but it is a tie breaker between people at the same level and fare class.

Additionally, pax who are flying on tickets booked under certain corporate contracts can also be given higher priority, depending on the contract, and DL does not publish the exact details of how this operates (we don't know how much it impacts priority or if all contracts work the same or not).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
For fare classes that are eligible to be upgraded, the order is, from highest priority to lowest priority, Y B M S H Q K L U T X V N. T is pretty low. And I'm not surprised you'd be #14 on a flight to SNA--that's a route with a lot of business travelers. Being DM will help, but even then, I wouldn't be surprised if you sometimes sat in the back on that route.
Note that S is no longer a revenue fare class -- it's now used for C+ awards and C+ comp upgrades (SU). Unfortunately, it's still referenced in a number of places as a revenue class. If you are on an actual C+ award (S) ticket, I would expect your priority to fall after V revenue coach/C+ fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.