Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Domestic lie flat: medallion comp upgrades experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic lie flat: medallion comp upgrades experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Lightbulb Domestic lie flat: medallion comp upgrades experience

Hi everyone! Just to make it clear from the beginning, this thread is not about DeltaOne services JFK-LAX/SFO.

I find it's a bit surprising that Delta doesn't receive proper credit for flying fair bit of lie flat equipped aircraft on domestic routes. While all the bloggers report Mint expansion (and I'm fully in support of that great product) and even UA going lie flat on SFO-BOS they keep mostly silence about DL.

Over the course of last 12 months the routes where I personally noticed/experienced lie flat seats:
JFK-ATL 767/777
ATL-PHX 330
ATL-LAX 777
ATL-PDX 767
ATL-SEA 767
JFK-PDX 767
JFK-SEA 757
JFK-SLC 757
JFK-PHX 757
JFK-SAN 757
LAX-HNL 767
SLC-HNL
+ summer 17
BOS-SFO 757
DCA-LAX 757

In most cases Delta flies lie flat equipped aircraft consistently (on a specific flight for a a couple of months or every Friday), so you can actually relay on having a lie flat seat, not like it's spontaneously.

The best part of course those flights are still medallion comp upgrades eligible. I really lucked out in 2016, upgrades on all of my flights with lie flat cleared:
JFK-ATL 767 (at gate)
ATL-PDX 767 (5 days out)
PDX-JFK 767 (at gate)
ATL-PHX 330 (1 day out)

Can you report your success with comp upgrades on domestic flights operated by lie flat equipped aircraft or lack thereof? It seems the most valuable options (like JFK-SEA/SLC/SAN/PHX) are operated by 757 with only 16 seats. So the chances to get comp upgrade seems to be super low. I wonder how is that in reality.

Last edited by urww; Mar 22, 2019 at 1:19 am
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
You left out the most important one! ATL-RDU! 757

and

LAX-HNL 767
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

LAX-HNL 767
Indeed I forgot about that one. There was (is) also service between SLC and HNL operated by 767 or 330 with lie flat, don't remember which one.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
While I agree that DL is running a fair number of flights around the U.S. with lie-flats, this really isn't any different than UA or AA. I rarely fly UA, but have consistently had lie-flats on AA on:

BOS-PHL
BOS-CLT
PHL-SJU
CLT-SJU
ORD-MIA
PHL-MCO
MIA-PHL
MIA-DFW
MIA-LAX
JFK-MIA
ORD-LAX
DFW-HNL
DFW-OGG
ORD-HNL
CLT-PHX

I find that AA is more consistent with having flat beds consistently on those routes. Whereas with DL routes like JFK-SEA, JFK-PHX, JFK-SAN, JFK-PDX, ATL-PDX, ATL-SEA, ATL-PHX will have a flat bed for a couple months then it's gone.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
lie-flats on AA on:
AA even lets everyone to pick a seat in lie flat business without having to be upgraded (since most of 77W and 32T operated domestic flights show J seats as Main cabin extra), but we are here, with Delta .

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Whereas with DL routes like JFK-SEA, JFK-PHX, JFK-SAN, JFK-PDX, ATL-PDX, ATL-SEA, ATL-PHX will have a flat bed for a couple months then it's gone.
That what I would call consistent . JFK-SEA is basically year round. JFK-SAN is seasonal summer service. JFK-PHX is seasonal winter service. The thing you can relay on the product if you fly within a particular timeframe.

Flights operated by 767 and 777 (especially to LAX, PDX and SEA) are pretty consistent year round as well. Those are basically positioning flights to operate international ones from PDX, SEA or LAX or exchange aircraft between bases.

The actual reason why I started the thread is to get first hand experience on how tough is that to get comp upgrade on 757 operated flights out of JFK.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DTW-SFO/SFO-DTW DL745 is currently an A332 through March 30th.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
The only routes I fly that have lie flats are between SFO and ATL. My current complimentary upgrade percentage is 0.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Don't forget the many random positioning flights, also. I've had a lie-flat (330 & 777) between ATL and DTW many times.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
There's also this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-routes-7.html

and a partial route listing on the Domestic Wide-Body Opportunities thread wiki:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...thread-24.html
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by lbcnu
The only routes I fly that have lie flats are between SFO and ATL. My current complimentary upgrade percentage is 0.
For trunk routes such as LAX/SFO-ATL, your upgrade chances are lousy as folks with paid FC fares will SDC onto the flights with lie-flat seats. Even an RUC is no help when no FC seats are available.

David
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
0 upgrade percent from SFO-ATL on two separate occasions. ATL-PHX did not clear the upgrade either.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
Don't forget the many random positioning flights, also. I've had a lie-flat (330 & 777) between ATL and DTW many times.
I have never been lucky enough to be on a plane with lie flats domestically.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Back in the early 2000s

Back in the early 2000s DL was training the 777 pilots and operated ATL-MCO on a wonderfully equipped 777 with the "new" J seats. They flew this short route to get as many takeoffs-landings as possible. I was fortunate enough to have a gig there and flew one of the shortest flights ever with lie flat seats - Every week!

TFD
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Flew ATL-PHL this week and noticed they have one flight per day with the 757 lie flats.

The OP gets upgraded on lie flats and as a lowly PLat (will be Diamond by Fall) I haven't sniffed an upgrade in 26 segments this year.

Will be 0 for 30 after this week.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I was upgraded to a lay-flat seat JFK-PDX last summer, and the seat was even branded Delta One.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.