Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Deaf couple and discrimination at DTW...thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deaf couple and discrimination at DTW...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL hub captive, AA
Read section 382.81 of the law. Much more informative than a silly screenshot
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Wimsta
Take another look, then admit you were wrong.
I don’t think you guys are talking about the same thing here - the screenshot says a disabled passenger is entitled to a seat next to the person specifically there to assist, not any travel companion. Feel free to disagree, but there’s really no need for the attitude.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I contradicted your point, you said "they have the right to be seated with their companion only if they are able to act as an interpreter."

You were wrong, there are clearly other conditions indicated.

That you couldn't not grasp that from the link or screen shot I'm not sure I can be of more help.
I can't grasp your argument. The screenshot basically says exactly what the other poster has said. Interpreter is the only options that are required for deaf pax.
ijgordon, KenTarmac and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
None of this would have escalated if these customers would have just booked seats together in the first place, or alerted the airline of their need for accommodation upon booking their flights and not receiving a seat. This is a universal duty of anyone requesting accommodation. And this was not their first flight since the article states they were flying back to California which is their home.

If you make a hotel reservation and need an adaptive room, do you wait until check-in and spring the request on them, or make the request at time of booking?

DL does a good job of telling you what you are not getting when you book a BE fare before you pay for it. You don't have to be a seasoned traveler to know you need to hit GO BACK if you need seats together while booking. Now whether DL should be selling a product that they don't really want anyone to buy, or regret buying, is a topic for another thread.

Maybe we need to go back to the days of the long lines for the seat assignment stickers given out at the gate. I bet the GA's are glad those are gone.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by Jasper32
Read section 382.81 of the law. Much more informative than a silly screenshot
Ok. Glad you still insist on calling rights "silly."
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How did they want the GA to phrase the request for volunteers to change seats? A couple would like to sit together, so would someone like to take a middle seat? or There are two deaf adults on this flight and because they're deaf, they need to sit together, so who wants to take their middle seat?

I would guess that they would not have wanted the GA to announce that they're deaf to everyone on the flight, nor would they view deafness as something that requires them to sit together, with the implication that deaf people can't travel alone.

I could see an argument for special treatment in the GA or FA trying hard to get them seats together if it's the case that one of them can do lip reading or can speak but the other can communicate only in sign language or by reading and writing, so that one of them could help the other to communicate with the FA on board or help to communicate in an emergency. This would be similar to the case of a traveling companion who provides assistance for passengers with other types of disabilities, such as feeding someone who is physically incapable of eating without help. However, normally if this is the situation, the passenger needing assistance would have their medical condition noted on the record and they would be approved for travel only if accompanied by a traveling companion who can provide the needed assistance. Then the person would never again be permitted to travel alone unless they could prove that the assistance is no longer needed.

If the GA wanted to seat them together, they could probably just move some Basic Economy folks around.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Ok. Glad you still insist on calling rights "silly."

He referred to the codified rights as "law". Screenshots of such things can indeed be silly.
KenTarmac and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I can't grasp your argument. The screenshot basically says exactly what the other poster has said. Interpreter is the only options that are required for deaf pax.
Jasper has insisted what you've also posted here: "Interpreter is the only options that are required for deaf pax."

However there is a clear list of other condition which would justify having an adjacent seat. "A personal care attendant" for example...

There is no reading of any of these provisions that should be taken as a limitation on what accommodation a person could be entitled.

But, the argument being made has also never been that the person in question needed an interpreter, the argument is that the person was entitled to respect that was not given. What people are calling "futile" and "silly" is actually someone's civil liberties.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by VX N281VA
He referred to the codified rights as "law". Screenshots of such things can indeed be silly.
I still don't get it. Oh well.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
If the GA wanted to seat them together, they could probably just move some Basic Economy folks around.
It's entirely possible that all BE pax were in center seats. That would mean giving a middle seat to someone who paid a main cabin fare for a window or aisle.

But, at least DL allows people booking main cabin, with no airline FF status, to book two seats together with no seat fee. Try doing that on AA.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper32
The ACAA does not require the provision of an interpreter. Both parties did something wrong here. The deaf passengers violated the GAs space, and the GA did not get a redcoat or CRO involved.
An interpreter was not requested or necessary here.

Would you claim that the ACAA allows a Delta agent to refuse to communicate with a deaf person in written English? That seems to be the issue hear.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL hub captive, AA
That answer was in response to the comments of N830MH, who insisted that there should have been an employee that could sign. I never said the GA did a good job handling the communication. The ACAA does require that people with disabilities be provided a CRO upon request, but as it is never mentioned, it does not seem they knew to ask for one. Due to encroaching on the GAs space, they may not have had time to anyway, as that is a great way to ensure you won’t be getting on an airplane. I’ll be the first one to tell you that people with disabilities need to understand what rights various laws do and don’t give them. These passengers were correctly told “No” by a GA and refused to accept it. Even if the GA had given a legally incorrect response, they still deserved to be denied boarding for going into the GAs space. As I said earlier, that action was game over for them in our post 9/11 airport culture.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: aa
I have been a freelance ASL interpreter for over 20 years. There is a 99% chance that there was no GA in the entire airport that could of had a fluent conversation about seat assignments in ASL.

The way the GA communicated by writing was totally fine for this situation. But, finding a GA that is patient enough to write back and forth with a Deaf person who uses ASL ( which is not the same as English ) , is another story. If and when the police show up, that’s the time to bring the interpreter in or use VRI ( video remote interpreter )
There is also a cultural difference here. I’ll let the two Deaf FTers here answer that part.

If if you’re curious, none of my Deaf clients have ever wanted to sit next to me on a flight. They would also be offended if I even asked.
I do have one totally Deaf and blind friend that I have sat with. That role is totally different than an interpreter. I flew with him down to Nassau and took him diving with sharks!!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by strickerj

I don’t think you guys are talking about the same thing here - the screenshot says a disabled passenger is entitled to a seat next to the person specifically there to assist, not any travel companion. Feel free to disagree, but there’s really no need for the attitude.
In an earlier post, I discussed whether (apparently not) one but not both of them could speak or lipread so as to be able to assist the other, as that would seem to be a situation in which there would be an entitlement for seats together (assuming that other policies are followed).

BTW, is there a requirement that the assisting travel companion be on the same PNR? It would certainly be wise.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by mauve
An interpreter was not requested or necessary here.

Would you claim that the ACAA allows a Delta agent to refuse to communicate with a deaf person in written English? That seems to be the issue hear.
Thank you for getting it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.