Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking luggage to final destination. Delta-Saudia, separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

I ended up with two tickets, one on delta for ATL-CDG and a continuing one fro CDG to RUH on Saudi-Arabien. Will I be able to check my luggage through? I got 3 1/2 hrs in CDG so I should have enough time to pick up the luggage, but it would be a lot less stressful if I can just check it through. Has anybody done this recently?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Unfortunately, no. You'll have to reclaim and recheck in CDG because they are separate tickets, unless the SV ticket happens to be a SkyMiles award. (It can't hurt to ask at check-in anyway, but expect the answer to be no.)

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For the best chance, be sure to bring hard copies (printouts) of your Saudia receipt showing the ticket number and your Saudia reservation/itinerary/PNR. Ask nicely but confidently, as if you don't expect it to be a problem (to discourage the agent from wondering/doubting and then checking the actual rules).
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For the best chance, be sure to bring hard copies (printouts) of your Saudia receipt showing the ticket number and your Saudia reservation/itinerary/PNR. Ask nicely but confidently, as if you don't expect it to be a problem (to discourage the agent from wondering/doubting and then checking the actual rules).
+1 — They can totally do this and it used to be routine for legacy airlines (before the consolidation of the last decade). It’s just a fairly recent policy change in an attempt to reduce workload/liability. In addition to above advice; try to go to a more tenured agent who might have more routinely done this in the past.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
At some point this was Delta's policy, not sure whether this is still in place.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-policy--.html

Notice that Saudia is not on the list of airlines they forward to . I had baggage forwarded between Delta and KLM this summer without any issues.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

I guess Saudia is sort of the unloved stepchild of Skyteam. So I don't have too much hope and thanks to those who found the official page. Will try to do this one with carryon only but it will be tight for a 2 1/2 week trip.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Generally, airlines within the same alliance can do this...sometimes even if they are not partners. Whether the ticket counter agents WILL is an entirely different story. I've flown a couple times on J internationally on a different ticket than the positioning US segment, but the ticket counter agents on both ends were able to check the bag all the way through. Are you flying J? If so, I think that increases your chances of the agents doing it for you.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes. I am flying J (paid ticket, not upgrade). So I hope this will help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.