Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shady Sky Club bartender

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Shady Sky Club bartender

I went to the B terminal Sky Club in Atlanta. The wine list had bottles of Moet champagne for $14 or 700 miles. Great value until they serve it and you discover it is a single serving bottle, not even a full flute of champagne. Talk about shady. The menu doesn't disclose the bottle is, in fact, not a bottle.

But regardless, what's even more shady is the bartender tried charging me DOUBLE the price. She claimed the menu was a misprint and the real price was $30 or 1,750 miles. I had to get a manager.

Makes you wonder how many people the bartender has ripped off, as presumably most people don't pay that much attention to the prices.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
At that price (700 miles), I'd expect a mini, not a bottle. However, doubling the price at the end seems bogus. This is odd because Skyclub bartenders have no incentive to rip-off customers.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
That's really weird. Don't the bar staff work for Sodexo?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I went to the B terminal Sky Club in Atlanta. The wine list had bottles of Moet champagne for $14 or 700 miles. Great value until they serve it and you discover it is a single serving bottle, not even a full flute of champagne. Talk about shady. The menu doesn't disclose the bottle is, in fact, not a bottle.

But regardless, what's even more shady is the bartender tried charging me DOUBLE the price. She claimed the menu was a misprint and the real price was $30 or 1,750 miles. I had to get a manager.

Makes you wonder how many people the bartender has ripped off, as presumably most people don't pay that much attention to the prices.
1750 miles/$30ish is roughly the price of a glass of Dom Perignon, so it’s possible the bartender rung you up as that rather than the Moet single serving bottle by accident (or assumed incorrectly that all premium champagnes are the same price).

Given that a normal 750ml bottle of Moët is $45ish list, I think the 187mL mini at $14 is quite fairly priced. (Retail on that is actually $15.97, on wine.com). So I don’t think that part of the transaction is shady or unexpected, although perhaps they could clarify further the amount you receive on the wine list with some additional language there.

Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
That said, unless things have changed, the menu I’m familiar with clearly states the size of the pour or bottle for each champagne, including splits:

https://onemileatatime.com/wp-conten...Seattle-39.jpg
bergamini likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BenA

1750 miles/$30ish is roughly the price of a glass of Dom Perignon, so it’s possible the bartender rung you up as that rather than the Moet single serving bottle by accident (or assumed incorrectly that all premium champagnes are the same price).

Given that a normal 750ml bottle of Moët is $45ish list, I think the 187mL mini at $14 is quite fairly priced. (Retail on that is actually $15.97, on wine.com). So I don’t think that part of the transaction is shady or unexpected, although perhaps they could clarify further the amount you receive on the wine list with some additional language there.

Originally Posted by Bowgie
At that price (700 miles), I'd expect a mini, not a bottle. However, doubling the price at the end seems bogus. This is odd because Skyclub bartenders have no incentive to rip-off customers.
I think the price as published is fair, but the menu is deceptive because it doesn't indicate that this isn't a full bottle.

But regardless, I saw the bartender get the Moet, open it and pour it and then charge me double the price. Very shady. Again, I suspect most people don't pay close attention to this.

And if they got away with this a few times, they would get more of a tip as most customers who didn't notice the overcharge would tip based off $30. So instead of a $2 tip they're getting a tip of over $4.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

If it's business travel, why should you care? <joke>

To me, it would be unreasonable to expect a full or even half bottle of Moët in a restaurant or bar for $14, so it would necessarily be just a split (or a glass if the word bottle didn't appear). DL doesn't subsidize the luxury bar alcohol served in SCs, but the prices generally seem fair compared to a city hotel bar, for example.
wrp96, 355F1, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That's really weird. Don't the bar staff work for Sodexo?
That is correct.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree with the poster who said they probably charged you the Dom Perignon. The Imperial and the Dom Perignon are both produced by Moet & Chandon so perhaps when they looked up the product in the POS system there was confusion. It could have been accidental and/or confusion and perhaps the manager's authority was required for a void. Or it could have had malice, but IME most people just aren't that familiar with champagne products, brands and sizing in the US.

The menu's have always had sizes on it. Most are 187ml for Imperial by Moet & Chandon, 375 for Laurent & Perrier and then various options at 750ml including Krug, Dom Perignon, Laurent & Perrier Rose and a few others. The Dom Perignon by Moet & Chandon glasses have only ever been specials not in the menu from my experience.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Regardless. Not sure one ought to leap to the conclusion that the bartender is "shady". .In particular because it's really hard for the bartender to convert that to cash in his pocket and SC bartenders aren't commissioned. So, why bother?
TerryK, nancypants and ASMan like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think the price as published is fair, but the menu is deceptive because it doesn't indicate that this isn't a full bottle.
Every menu I've seen would say 187ml. That's pretty clearly not a full bottle. I don't know if they've changed the menu... but a full bottle for $14 would seem very unusual.
BearX220 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...the menu is deceptive because it doesn't indicate that this isn't a full bottle.
The menu clearly indicates it is a 187ml bottle, not a full bottle.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
The menu clearly indicates it is a 187ml bottle, not a full bottle.
I don't see that in the picture of the menu posted above.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
You'd think the guy who types the menus word for word on the In-flight Meal/Food Service thread and disclaims that any and all errors are Delta's would have seen the bottle sizes in mL right there on the menus. But then, I guess you'd be wrong. /shrug

...or that the one who makes a point to discuss the cheapness of DL's champagnes and sparkling wines on the thread with prices, would think that $14 for a 750mL bottle of Moët is unusually low, so as to be unbelievable.

Last edited by sky303; Jan 24, 2019 at 7:55 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:17 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I flew for the first time in many years on DL and used the JFK T4 Skyclub (near gate B32). There were Skyclub agents with rolling margarita carts and wine carts serving drinks at your seat; one agent was taking drink orders, I asked for Champagne, I wasn't charged a fee (or miles)--is the JFK system different from ATL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.