Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which to book AF or KLM to max Delta Skymiles points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum

I am looking to purchase a ticket to Barcelona. KLM and AF both have the tickets for about half of what Delta is selling the exact itineraries for.

First, will i be able to get Skymiles points, and if so, should I book throught KLM or AF websites to max my miles?

Also, I was on KLM site and they are charging $11.36 to choose my seat on the flight from AMS to BCN. Will I be able to go onto Delta site and choose my seats, I am Silver Medallion.

Finally, this LIGHT fare I see on KLM site says only carryon is allowed. Will my Silver status still allow me to check a bag for free when I begin my trip?

Anything else I should think about before booking this LIGHT fare?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
You can receive Skymiles on almost all flights operated by a Skyteam member airline. You may not earn if you're on an award ticket, flying a fare class not listed, or flying a Skyteam member codeshare flight which is operated by a non-Skyteam airline. Check this site to see how much you'll earn. For all flights that are not marketed by Delta, you earn based on distance times a percentage. The percentage being based on the fare class you purchased. The fare class can be found on your flight receipt, and should be listed somewhere on your flight itinerary with KL or AF on their respective site's.

I'm assuming you're looking to purchase a transatlantic flight USA-AMS/CDG-BCN. Both AF and KL charge passengers to select "preferred" seats. There should be some seats in the back that are free to pick. Elites of FlyingBlue, their loyalty program, simply get a discount on picking seats and not free of charge like on DL, unless you're a top tier elite.

Your silver status equates to SkyTeamElite. This site here shows the discount FB Silvers, which is what KL/AF will recognize you as, will receive on selecting preferred seats. According to KLM's website, you'll receive a free checked bag.
Regardless of the ticket conditions, the benefits of your Flying Blue level apply. Elite and Elite Plus members can check in one extra piece of baggage (max. 23 kg), completely free of charge
. Assuming you're flying TATL you'll receive the traditional first bag for being international, and then a second for your status.

As far as Delta's concerned, light vs standard vs flex isn't a thing. The only thing DL cares about is your fare class.

Another thing to note: Again, assuming this is a TALT flight, if you end up on a DL codeshare flight, such as AF3595, which is actually DL84, ATL-CDG, you'll need to go to Delta.com to pick your seats. You can add your Skymiles number to your reservation on either KL or AF's site. In fact, you can also do this from KQ (Kenya) or RO (Tarom) as all four airlines use the same frequent flyer program and they can all see each others tickets. I used the AF app to manage my KQ reservation once. The DL website won't show you your full AF/KL reservation, but you should be able to get the app to show it.

Hope this helps!
Elizabeth208 and browan04 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Check the award charts for AF and KL to be sure that your booking class will earn miles and at what level. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.