Minimum int'l connect time in FLL?

Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Minimum int'l connect time in FLL?

Hi All,

I am arriving on Bahamas Air (FPO-FLL) with a DL connection domestically (last flight of the day to LGA). My corp travel agent won't book it with a 1:40 connection. Is that silly or am I missing something? I have global entry, the DL reservation will be separate and I am PM. Carry-on only!

Thanks!

Last edited by royevans; Jan 15, 2019 at 9:41 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is all about risk tolerance.

As these are separate tickets, they are not a connection. Thus, you are free to book whatever you want to book. However, if you no show for your DL flight, your ticket will be cancelled and will retain whatever value it has under the fare rules. This is typically $0 and would mean buying a new ticket at walk-up fares unless DL took pity on you.

A corporate TA is typically acting on instructions of its customer, e.g. your employer. Thus, if your employer is willing to accept the risk, whoever it is in your company will have to direct the TA to issue the two tickets. Your alternative is to purchase the tickets yourself.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks - but putting aside issues of ticket value and risk, I am just trying to find out anecdotally what others' experiences have been. The corp TA is happy to override and book it under separate itins.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I looked it up for fun and it turns out the MCT for UP-DL connections at FLL is 3 hours and 30 minutes, no matter whether the DL flight is international or domestic. (UP = Bahamasair.) I have no idea where UP and/or DL came up with that, but that's why your TA won't ticket this on a single ticket.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I looked it up for fun and it turns out the MCT for UP-DL connections at FLL is 3 hours and 30 minutes, no matter whether the DL flight is international or domestic. (UP = Bahamasair.) I have no idea where UP and/or DL came up with that, but that's why your TA won't ticket this on a single ticket.
Thanks and understood. I just can't imagine that barring any incoming flight delays, 1:40 wouldn't be enough for someone with carry-on and global entry at FLL (plus CLEAR on the DL side to boot, which I read was recently installed at FLL). Hopefully someone who has actually done it can chime in. I might add that my UP flight lands at 6:10 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by royevans
Thanks and understood. I just can't imagine that barring any incoming flight delays, 1:40 wouldn't be enough for someone with carry-on and global entry at FLL (plus CLEAR on the DL side to boot, which I read was recently installed at FLL). Hopefully someone who has actually done it can chime in. I might add that my UP flight lands at 6:10 PM.
Isn't it a pre-clear flight? Clear US customs at Freeport prior to departure? If so, no ICE or TSA.

I would assume that 3:30 is a number that Bahamasair came up with because they do not want to risk paying for a miss-connect when they really have no value add in connecting you to DL anyway.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jan 15, 2019 at 10:57 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Isn't it a pre-clear flight? Clear US customs at Freeport prior to departure? If so, no ICE or TSA.

I would assume that 3:30 is a number that Bahamasair came up with because they do not want to risk paying for a miss-connect when they really have no value add in connecting you to DL anyway.
I thought that was only in Nassau but just checked CBP website: "15 air Preclearance locations in 6 countries: Dublin and Shannon in Ireland; Aruba; Freeport and Nassau in The Bahamas; Bermuda; Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; and Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, and Winnipeg in Canada"

Sooo...with that in mind I would think this is a no-brainer and agree with your reasoning
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:45 am
Suspended

There is nothing to override. Below MCT definitionall means that it cannot be booked as one ticket. If two tickets, then it is two tickets.

MCT is set by the carrier and represents its willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect. UP has evidently set a lengthy MCT because it does not want to be responsible for misconnects.

As an example, a walk-up ticket for FLL-BOS on DL later today is roughly $210 depending on flight While that is not ironclas for another time, think of that as the risk and make a decision as to whether you will take a risk when UP won't.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The OP is not concerned with the TA or rules, but wants opinions from others.

Since this will be almost the same as a domestic connection with customs/immigration being handled in Freeport, I would have no trouble booking it as one ticket or two tickets. The only alternative is to book a hotel stay and fly the next day.

Book it Dano!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Or do not book through FLL and fly through MIA. AA sells this as a single online connection departing FPO at 6:50 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I'd book it without question. Customs in FPO, walk 5 minutes from terminal 3 to terminal 2, go through clear, and be done. Only thing that could cause issues is that I'm not sure how late pre-check and clear are open at T2, but I'd still do it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spudley007
I'd book it without question. Customs in FPO, walk 5 minutes from terminal 3 to terminal 2, go through clear, and be done. Only thing that could cause issues is that I'm not sure how late pre-check and clear are open at T2, but I'd still do it.
Thanks, going to book it. Looks like Pre-check clear will be closed but regular clear lane still open
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:30 am

If you have GE or even just mobile passport, you can get thru FLL customs in under 10 minutes. Shouldn't be a problem. My last 2 trips I've basically walked right through.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by JTE458
If you have GE or even just mobile passport, you can get thru FLL customs in under 10 minutes. Shouldn't be a problem. My last 2 trips I've basically walked right through.
Please read some of the earlier posts. Customs will be done in Freeport - not FLL.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Doesn’t DL serve FPO? If so, why not connect through ATL, rather than have two separate tickets connecting in FLL?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.