Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL-LAX-ATL or ATL-SNA-ATL Upgrade Chances

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-LAX-ATL or ATL-SNA-ATL Upgrade Chances

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I avoid flights to/from ATL like the plague. As DM, I'm about 20% ATL-PDX.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Recent ATL-LAX I was number 16 out of 89 (as a DM) for 0 seats at check in (F was sold out about a week or so before the flight left) ATL to anything west coast either use a RUC or plan on buying F unfortunately.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM
I fly out of SNA a lot and those flights seem to be full of paid F in my experience. For proximity, I would pick SNA over LAX if going into PSP. ONT would be better.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by bodie730
I'm looking to go out to California from ATL for a conference in Palm Springs in early March. I'm thinking of going out Sunday morning and coming back Thu or Fri afternoon. DL has a nonstop ATL-PSP but it's only on Sat, so not an option. I can connect through SLC or MSP to PSP but prices are really high. I'm either going to go into LAX or SNA.

I'm wondering about upgrade chances as a GM for:
- Sunday AM ATL-LAX A330 flight (thought it might work in my favor with the higher number of FC seats in the A330)
- Return Thu or Fri late afternoon 3:45 pm or 5:15 pm flight LAX-ATL. My thinking is these flights might be less competitive (especially the 5:15 pm) because there would be fewer connecting Pax and in the case of the 5:15 LAX-ATL flight, it gets in around 12:30 am, so there aren't any connections that I'm aware of at that late. Equipment for both is an A321.
- Any of the ATL-SNA flights. I haven't found much on how competitive the SNA flights are. SNA would put me slightly closer to my destination and hopefully less traffic if I time the arrival and departure times right.

I know upgrades in general as a GM is tough these days out of ATL, but was just curious about some of these particular flights. Having a shot of an upgrade on a transcon might make going through LAX worth it.
Don't make the decision based on upgrade chances. Flying into SNA will be significantly less stressful than flying into LAX. (Doubly true for PSP, but that's an expensive airport to use in the winter months.) At SNA, you can walk right up to the car rental area and be out within 20 minutes of leaving the plane. At LAX you could be waiting an hour for a car rental shuttle. Traffic from Orange County into the Inland Empire and vice versa should be reasonable with your arrival and departure times.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by third_wave
Don't make the decision based on upgrade chances. Flying into SNA will be significantly less stressful than flying into LAX. ... At SNA, you can walk right up to the car rental area and be out within 20 minutes of leaving the plane. At LAX you could be waiting an hour for a car rental shuttle. Traffic from Orange County into the Inland Empire and vice versa should be reasonable with your arrival and departure times.
this, x1000
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by third_wave
At LAX you could be waiting an hour for a car rental shuttle.
While I agree with your general point, I've never waited an hour for a car rental shuttle. Maybe 10 minutes tops. (The consolidated rental car center can't come soon enough though.)

The hotel shuttles on the other hand... bleh...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Don't know about SNA, but on ATL<>LAX I am 1 for a lifetime. And that 1 was when a 777 was swapped in for a 737 at the last minute for some reason.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by bennos
While I agree with your general point, I've never waited an hour for a car rental shuttle. Maybe 10 minutes tops. (The consolidated rental car center can't come soon enough though.)

The hotel shuttles on the other hand... bleh...
Back when Delta was using Terminal 5, there could be massive lines for the rental car shuttles because the shuttles would fill up with passengers from terminals that were further upstream in the horseshoe and there would be no room onboard by the time they reached Terminal 5. An hour may be a slight exaggeration but I have absolutely waited over a half an hour after arriving at the shuttle stop on multiple occasions on a Monday morning.

I am thinking the situation may have improved since DL moved to Terminal 2 and Terminal 3.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
they may appear at T2/T3 in a bit more timely manner but they still have to traverse the entire loop around to T7/T8 before heading back to the agency location ... instead of waiting at the curb, you’re sitting on the bus :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.