Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice for Int'l Trip with possibillity of new work assignment cancelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Int'l Trip with possibillity of new work assignment cancelling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Question Advice for Int'l Trip with possibillity of new work assignment cancelling

Hello, I'm a PM on Delta and wife and I have been planning to spend about 10 days in Europe in late April. Airfares to/from CDG are pretty good right now with preferred flights/nonstops on Delta (operated by AF) from MIA for around $600. The problem is there's a day in the middle of the trip that there's a 30-40% chance I will be assigned a work project that I must accept if assigned.

So the dilemma is should I book the cheap airfare and hope I'm not assigned, and if I am, cancel and get the partial refund and credit. If so, Delta's policy says $200-$500 cancellation fee....is there any way to know for sure what it would be? If $200 I could live with the risk but $500 would be silly.

OR, do I wait until I find out for sure if I'm assigned the duty (late March) and book then, but risk airfare's being well over $1,000 each. Do you think airfares could still be less then that?

I'm fairly sure trip insurance wouldn't cover a new work assignment as a covered reason.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you an employee or a consultant/private contractor?

AFAIK the standard for an employer would be that if vacation time has been approved but the employee is needed during that time, the employer would cover any costs incurred by the employee such as plane ticket change fees and nonrefundable hotel bookings. This should ideally be included in the employee manual or other written policy materials available to employees and supervisors, but you might need to ask HR about how such situations are handled.

However, can't you solve the problem by moving the European trip up by about a week?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

I'm a consultant and the gig would pay for another trip, so it's not feasible to decline it. Unfortunately this is the only window to fit this trip in that we have openings in our work schedules currently. We could push it back to summer but she wants to see the Tulips in AMS.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Late March (decision date) to late April (prospective travel date) means you can still meet advance purchase requirements for the cheapest fares. There may be limited availability. Given the price differential between lowest and flexible fares I would just wait to buy - unless you think there's a very significant probability (>50%) your travel will be interrupted. The change fee will be specified in the fare rules. ITA Matrix shows a $300 fee on a XK4X87M3 PAR to MIA fare.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JTE458
I'm a consultant and the gig would pay for another trip, so it's not feasible to decline it. Unfortunately this is the only window to fit this trip in that we have openings in our work schedules currently. We could push it back to summer but she wants to see the Tulips in AMS.
Tulips in AMS are definitely worth the Trip and the cancellation fee

Last year we went when the season was almost over, so not many tulip fields were left. I had to promise another trip at the beginning of this year's or next year's season.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:32 am
Original Poster

I just found this while searching for possible mileage usage:

The Award Ticket redeposit fee is $150 USD. This fee is waived for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members. Award Tickets not canceled at least 72 hours prior to the originating flight departure time are nonrefundable.

Are the taxes paid refunded as well in that instance?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, but often it's better to pay with money if you can find a good cheap fare for flights you want, as the award tickets might cost lots of miles or require inconvenient times and additional connections. YMMV.

Remember that award tickets don't earn MQMs/MQDs/MQSs for status next year, which if you're PM or DM, I assume would matter to you. Also, it's the status of the account from which the miles come (and not the passenger's status) at the time of the cancellation that matters in determining whether the $150 fee will be charged.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but often it's better to pay with money if you can find a good cheap fare for flights you want, as the award tickets might cost lots of miles or require inconvenient times and additional connections. YMMV.

Remember that award tickets don't earn MQMs/MQDs/MQSs for status next year, which if you're PM or DM, I assume would matter to you. Also, it's the status of the account from which the miles come (and not the passenger's status) at the time of the cancellation that matters in determining whether the $150 fee will be charged.
Yeah it would be tough to miss out on almost 10k in MQM. I have no shot at DM and am rolling over 15k plus will get 30k bonus MQM with card spend so I don't expect to need these 10k if I had to miss them. The fare was $600, the miles flash sale right now is 41,000 so it's a pretty decent value. $ fare was 1 stop there in ATL and direct back, miles fare is 1 stop each way in ATL so not too bad.

I'm the PM, would be booking both, she has no status.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
So the dilemma is should I book the cheap airfare and hope I'm not assigned, and if I am, cancel and get the partial refund and credit. If so, Delta's policy says $200-$500 cancellation fee....is there any way to know for sure what it would be? If $200 I could live with the risk but $500 would be silly.
The cancellation penalty would be available within a detailed description in the "Trip Review" page prior to purchase. Under the itinerary you'll see a box labeled "Terms and Conditions". One of the links is "Fare Rules" which will then have detailed descriptions of all the fare rules, including the change/cancellation penalty.

As a side note, it would be worth also checking the fares directly through AF and comparing the prices and also comparing whether you would earn more miles if booked through DL (as a codeshare on the AF flight) or on AF flight numbers.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:52 am

Yeah it would be tough to miss out on almost 10k in MQM. I have no shot at DM and am rolling over 15k plus will get 30k bonus MQM with card spend so I don't expect to need these 10k if I had to miss them. The fare was $600, the miles flash sale right now is 41,000 so it's a pretty decent value. $ fare was 1 stop there in ATL and direct back, miles fare is 1 stop each way in ATL so not too bad.

I'm the PM, would be booking both, she has no status.
If you're PM now and will be PM for all of 2019 (so you requalified during 2018 or reached PM status for the first time during 2019) and have 82,000 RDMs in your PM account now, to me it would be a no brainer to grab the two 41,000 award tickets with schedules that work well for you right now, ASAP, don't waste a second or the availability might disappear. You can decide later what you want to do, including the possibility of buying with money a ticket for you in late March (to earn those MQMs, even if just for future rollover, if the price is good) and having wife fly on the award ticket.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:13 am

As a PM you can redeposit your miles for award ticket purchases. Why not just book award fares for you and the wife and see how things go. At least you have those tickets guaranteed and might be able to pay cash as things get closer.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're PM now and will be PM for all of 2019 (so you requalified during 2018 or reached PM status for the first time during 2019) and have 82,000 RDMs in your PM account now, to me it would be a no brainer to grab the two 41,000 award tickets with schedules that work well for you right now, ASAP, don't waste a second or the availability might disappear. You can decide later what you want to do, including the possibility of buying with money a ticket for you in late March (to earn those MQMs, even if just for future rollover, if the price is good) and having wife fly on the award ticket.
Yes, I just got PM for the first time in November 2018, I was unaware of this free cancellation with miles policy. I am going to book the 41k (it's actually a $1200 roundtrip ticket for the same times) and I see that all 4 segments are comfort + upgradable so that is very nice. I will then recheck in late March when know work assignment for rates and if can't get for under $800 will keep this and forego the MQM's.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:39 am

Yes, I just got PM for the first time in November 2018, I was unaware of this free cancellation with miles policy. I am going to book the 41k (it's actually a $1200 roundtrip ticket for the same times) and I see that all 4 segments are comfort + upgradable so that is very nice. I will then recheck in late March when know work assignment for rates and if can't get for under $800 will keep this and forego the MQM's.

Sounds like a plan.....Enjoy!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Great choice - this is exactly what I’d do in your shoes. The free redeposit is perfect for this situation. As an added bonus, you’re getting well over 1cpm for your miles, so if you end up keeping the miles it was still a good decision IMHO. (You could even do something like rebooking yourself on a paid ticket later and keeping your wife, who doesn’t care about MQM, on the award...)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by BenA

Great choice - this is exactly what I’d do in your shoes. The free redeposit is perfect for this situation. As an added bonus, you’re getting well over 1cpm for your miles, so if you end up keeping the miles it was still a good decision IMHO. (You could even do something like rebooking yourself on a paid ticket later and keeping your wife, who doesn’t care about MQM, on the award...)
That was my suggestion earlier, to keep in mind as an option for late March, but I suspect that the award ticket flights are likely to be more expensive (when paid in money) in March as they are now, so OP will need to decide between foregoing MQMs, paying more for his ticket, or not having the same flights as wife. There could also be a loss of a C+ seat if modifications are made later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.