Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kauai (LIH) airport options next week

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Kauai (LIH) airport options next week

Aloha Again!

Looks like i will be in Kauai in a few days and not familiar with the layout of LIH airport. Ive already found that there is no Delta sky club or partner lounges there, but was curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to spend our last few hours on the Garden Isle as our flight leaves late in the evening. I will have a rental car during this time and was just looking for suggestions folks might have near the airport or within safe distance so as to not jeopardize our check-in and boarding.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
LIH airport is similar to a small commuter airport. I'm not even sure if Hawaiian air has a lounge or not. In any event, the island is beautiful.

Typically when I have checked out, we go and hang out on the south side of the island. I think there is a Hyatt or a Sheraton down near Nawiliwili Harbor that is pretty cool to check out. They don't charge for parking and its all open air. I think there is a Marriott down there too but its a bit harder to find.

There is also a really cool outdoor shopping area on the south side of the island on the left side as you go clockwise down the road which has a great market.

Most of the flights back to the mainland leave in the evening so it can backup starting about 6PM. If you get there 2 hours before flight time, you should be good. Enjoy!
indufan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
LIH airport is similar to a small commuter airport. I'm not even sure if Hawaiian air has a lounge or not. In any event, the island is beautiful.

Typically when I have checked out, we go and hang out on the south side of the island. I think there is a Hyatt or a Sheraton down near Nawiliwili Harbor that is pretty cool to check out. They don't charge for parking and its all open air. I think there is a Marriott down there too but its a bit harder to find.

There is also a really cool outdoor shopping area on the south side of the island on the left side as you go clockwise down the road which has a great market.

Most of the flights back to the mainland leave in the evening so it can backup starting about 6PM. If you get there 2 hours before flight time, you should be good. Enjoy!
Outstanding! thank you Worldtraveler727! Much obliged...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM
HA has a "lounge". They give you a door code at check in with Hawaiian (available only to HA passengers) and you let yourself in for coffee and soft drinks only. Kind of charming and completely underwhelming.
CPMaverick and Hepsaint like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
I just flew out of there a few weeks ago. I ended up spending some time down in Poipu and Nawiliwili, and cut back to have some dinner at Pho Kauai in Lihue prior to my flight to SEA. I admit I overestimated the time I needed to get through security and ended up just sitting at the airport for a couple hours. The airport is really quite small and easy to get through. It only took me 30 minutes or so to return the car, take the bus to the terminal, and go through the agriculture x-ray and security itself.
Hepsaint likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
HA does have a lounge at LIH. Not sure if there's a new one but when I used in 2014 (since I had a paid F ticket on HA back to the mainland via HNL which then gets one access to HA's lounges), it felt like it was a converted closet - small room with a few seats and no windows. Minimal snacks and beverages (basically bags of the snack mix they provide in-flight and only juice/pop - no alcohol).
Hepsaint likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kstateinALB
I just flew out of there a few weeks ago. I ended up spending some time down in Poipu and Nawiliwili, and cut back to have some dinner at Pho Kauai in Lihue prior to my flight to SEA. I admit I overestimated the time I needed to get through security and ended up just sitting at the airport for a couple hours. The airport is really quite small and easy to get through. It only took me 30 minutes or so to return the car, take the bus to the terminal, and go through the agriculture x-ray and security itself.
Thank you kstateinALB! Will factor that in and take my time with my last frosty libation before heading off to the terminal...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Had some time to kill myself there back in September. I opted for one last swim before I headed to the airport (it was incredibly refreshing). The beach was a public beach called "Kalapaki" and is located right in front of a Marriott. You can easily park in the adjacent Anchor Cove Shopping Center (I bought a super cheap towel there to dry off, and then disposed of it of since I didn't want to stuff a wet towl back in my checked luggage). If swimming before the flight isn't your thing, I also went for a nice jog on Ninini Point St. which runs alongside the airport perimeter (and the Marriott golf course), so you get to see some pretty cool airplane action. The path is also great for walking. For a place to park, lookup Kauai Lagoons Marina on your preferred map app.
Hepsaint likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviacentre
Had some time to kill myself there back in September. I opted for one last swim before I headed to the airport (it was incredibly refreshing). The beach was a public beach called "Kalapaki" and is located right in front of a Marriott. You can easily park in the adjacent Anchor Cove Shopping Center (I bought a super cheap towel there to dry off, and then disposed of it of since I didn't want to stuff a wet towl back in my checked luggage). If swimming before the flight isn't your thing, I also went for a nice jog on Ninini Point St. which runs alongside the airport perimeter (and the Marriott golf course), so you get to see some pretty cool airplane action. The path is also great for walking. For a place to park, lookup Kauai Lagoons Marina on your preferred map app.
Great Idea! Thanks Aviacentre...Appreciate the tip!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was staying at the Marriott, and underestimated the security time in favor of having a last Mai Tai at the beach. Took us almost an hour to clear security (No TSA-PRE for us).
Hepsaint likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
We did dinner at Dukes before our evening flight out of LIH.
indufan and Hepsaint like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:14 pm
gsb

I second the recommendation for Duke's, which is at the Marriott in Lihue, close to the airport. Great views there and good food. Have a piece of the Hula Pie for Dessert! You'll be glad you did. If you're in a bit of a hurry, the Kalapaki Beach Hut between the Marriott and Anchor Cove Shopping Center has good burgers, and is inexpensive. You can take your burger upstairs and eat at a picnic table overlooking the bay.

If you get there earlier in the afternoon, the Kalapaki Beach Boys will gladly rent you a beach chair, or a surfboard (depending on your liking) and you can enjoy the evening. If you're lucky maybe some of the teams from the rowing club will be practicing in the bay, which is always fun to watch. At the very least you'll likely see a number of surfers ending their day. To me, it's a beautiful setting with the mountains seemingly rising out of the ocean right in front of you.

Enjoy Kauai. It's one of our favorite places.

Last edited by gsb; Jan 9, 2019 at 5:16 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.