Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Surprisingly Good Silver Medallion Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver

Last month I went for somewhat of a mileage run when a series of schedule changes allowed me to travel from DTW-DEN-LAX-JFK-DTW-TVC for $250 in total. I was originally booked DTW-DEN-DTW, but after over eight schedule changes and some negotiation with supervisors, this new (extensive) routing was authorized at no charge. After flying five segments over a five day period, I have finally obtained a clear understanding of Delta's Silver Medallion status, and the airline's service in general. Here's what I'll share with you from what I learned/experienced summed up (keep in mind this is entirely based on my experience with Delta flying TVC-DTW-ICN-DTW-TVC DTW-DEN-LAX-JFK-DTW-TVC MKE-LGA-MIA-MSP-MKE this year, obviously, YMMV):

1. Delta is good at being on-time. Out of all of the flights I've taken with Delta this year, 100% have been on-time or early. To put this into perspective, the one trip I took with United as a Premier Silver (TVC-ORD-ZRH-ORD-TVC) resulted in me paying out of pocket for an overnight stay and getting a $50 voucher for the inconvenience.

2. Delta is reliable with checked bags. I travel for alpine skiing a lot. Whenever I travel, I typically have a carry on, personal item, and three checked bags. Out of all of these flights, not once was a single bag lost or delayed.

3. Silver Medallions do get upgraded. Obviously don't go expecting an upgrade to Delta One from LAX-JFK, but I did find myself sitting in Delta Comfort + or First Class for every single eligible flight I flew. Surprisingly, I cleared into First (RU) exactly 24 hours before my DEN-LAX, JFK-DTW, DTW-TVC, and MSP-MKE flights. No stress at the airport staring at the dreaded upgrade list.

4. The flight attendants are receptive to ALL medallions, including FOs. The times I didn't clear into First and was seated in C+, the FAs consistently came up to me prior to landing to thank me for my loyalty to Delta. Not saying they actually care, but it is a nice gesture.

All-in-all I've found Delta to be a great choice - one far superior to flying United. How have your experiences been? What do you think about Delta's recognition of medallions? Let me know in the comments below!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by JackFranchino
Last month I went for somewhat of a mileage run when a series of schedule changes allowed me to travel from DTW-DEN-LAX-JFK-DTW-TVC for $250 in total. I was originally booked DTW-DEN-DTW, but after over eight schedule changes and some negotiation with supervisors, this new (extensive) routing was authorized at no charge. After flying five segments over a five day period, I have finally obtained a clear understanding of Delta's Silver Medallion status, and the airline's service in general. Here's what I'll share with you from what I learned/experienced summed up (keep in mind this is entirely based on my experience with Delta flying TVC-DTW-ICN-DTW-TVC DTW-DEN-LAX-JFK-DTW-TVC MKE-LGA-MIA-MSP-MKE this year, obviously, YMMV):

1. Delta is good at being on-time. Out of all of the flights I've taken with Delta this year, 100% have been on-time or early. To put this into perspective, the one trip I took with United as a Premier Silver (TVC-ORD-ZRH-ORD-TVC) resulted in me paying out of pocket for an overnight stay and getting a $50 voucher for the inconvenience.

2. Delta is reliable with checked bags. I travel for alpine skiing a lot. Whenever I travel, I typically have a carry on, personal item, and three checked bags. Out of all of these flights, not once was a single bag lost or delayed.

3. Silver Medallions do get upgraded. Obviously don't go expecting an upgrade to Delta One from LAX-JFK, but I did find myself sitting in Delta Comfort + or First Class for every single eligible flight I flew. Surprisingly, I cleared into First (RU) exactly 24 hours before my DEN-LAX, JFK-DTW, DTW-TVC, and MSP-MKE flights. No stress at the airport staring at the dreaded upgrade list.

4. The flight attendants are receptive to ALL medallions, including FOs. The times I didn't clear into First and was seated in C+, the FAs consistently came up to me prior to landing to thank me for my loyalty to Delta. Not saying they actually care, but it is a nice gesture.

All-in-all I've found Delta to be a great choice - one far superior to flying United. How have your experiences been? What do you think about Delta's recognition of medallions? Let me know in the comments below!
Out of 53 segments this year, I think I was thanked by an FA for my medallion status...once? Maybe twice?
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Out of 53 segments this year, I think I was thanked by an FA for my medallion status...once? Maybe twice?
I guess I was just "lucky"?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by JackFranchino
I guess I was just "lucky"?
I may have been snarling
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by koreanair720
I was thanked by an FA on every partner flight this year, Korean made the biggest deal about it. On Delta flights I was thanked on maybe half of my international segments(c+ or exit row) and not once on domestic segments.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:05 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
2018 was my first year with DL status - as an FO I was pleasantly surprised by my number of upgrades this year, based out of SFO/OAK (lots of 1 stop connections via SEA, LAX, and SLC). Out of 19 segments booked in regular economy this year, I got C+ upgrades on 11 and F upgrades on 4.

I don't recall being thanked by an FA at all this year for being a medallion member, but several times I was thanked for being a silver medallion by GAs when they scanned my boarding pass.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL
I've only seen medallions being thanked on one flight so far, SFO-LAX. Guy came up to all of the DMs and PMs in C+ and thanked them, except for me...
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
Glad to hear of such a positive experience.

Maybe 3 or 4 years ago I was Silver and was almost constantly thanked for being a Silver Medallion Member. After losing status for a few years I regained it this year and spent much of the year at Silver. Only once did anyone thank me for being Silver... and it was one random phone agent when I called in about a schedule change. I made Gold earlier this month and only one airport agent has thanked me. It was at check in. Not a single GA or FA thanked me on any flight at either level. I did not notice them thanking higher elites either. And no upgrades yet at either level. I do enjoy the 70 pound bag allowances though.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
OP summed it up well in all my years flying with Delta, almost all of them as an FO.
It's what kept me loyal for 30 years.
Hepsaint and Adelphos like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:32 am

I've gotten 0 FA thanks for being a silver for 3 years. Two from check in agents in medallion lines. But the on time records and not having to deal with ORD can't be beat, so I'm sticking with them
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond
I, too, have no complaints regarding my experience as an FO. I had a few upgrades, a few generous reps on the Medallion line who didn’t need to be so kind, and generally nice service. I don’t ever remember getting thanked at the gate for being Silver though—that only seemed to happen once I hit Platinum and even then, it’s still maybe 70 percent of the time. (I mean, not that I need a verbal reminder of my status every flight...)
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LANgradStudent
I've gotten 0 FA thanks for being a silver for 3 years
Does this really matter to you? Seriously?

Regards
gungadin, third_wave and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
My PM experience this year has been exactly what I'd expect.

I never had a chance to use my free drink coupons. [Note to self: print them and give them away.]
Because, I was always in C+ or better, I don't know how many of my 39 segments were eligible, but the PM UG right after booking is nice. [Note to self: book all of your travel in January, to get C+ before being demoted it GM in Feb.]

The Medallion line is definitely nice.

Early flights, standby and confirmed on an earlier flight, were not things I'd expected, but made a huge difference. And, no fee.

The 2nd early flight was a race to the airport and I made it T-43. They checked my baggage later because PM status.

I never carried 3 pieces of checked luggage, but I went around 60 lbs. a few times. The extra allowance is nice.

I cleared to D1 several days early, once.

I cleared to FC 7 hours early once.

I cleared to FC at the gate 5 times (one was with mom, LAX-SEA, but only one seat so I gave it to her). I save the 4 RUCs for life as a GM.

I cleared C+ at the gate twice, both the flight changes.

Used lounges for international travel 18 times (I think), and had mom as a guest 7 times.

I really couldn't count how many times I've been thanked for being a medallion.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ryw
I don't recall being thanked by an FA at all this year for being a medallion member, but several times I was thanked for being a silver medallion by GAs when they scanned my boarding pass.
Is the intentional one on one thanking new? I noticed it a few times in the later part of the year, was personally thanked by FA a couple times, once the FA handed out hand written personalized thank you cards to (what I assume was all the medallions). Once on a flight although I was not thanked (as GM) the fellow seated beside me was thanked for his Diamond status. I can't recall it happening to me last year (as FO).

I will add they usually thank all medallions on the PA, so just to quibble over details, we are talking about a personal thank you (one on one) from an FA. Those claiming they have never been thanked by a FA is not entirely accurate.

I will agree IME it is much more common from GA upon boarding pass scan.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I've been FO for 2 years and never thanked personally. Based on the route I usually fly they'd spend the whole flight thanking people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.