Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Surprisingly Good Silver Medallion Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprisingly Good Silver Medallion Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Delta is a great airline. Medallion status isn't necessary to get great service, as the people who work for Delta sure help me feel good and appreciated. The only caveat are the "bean counter" in the corporate level. These "bean counters" control the seat pitch, fare structures, how we earn frequent flyer miles, upgrades, among others. Lately, they have been lowering industry standards as Delta has introduced frequent flyer miles revised earn rates, medallian MQD threshholds, basic economy, checked bag luggage allowance among others.

I recognize that "bean counters" are keeping the airline viable and serving the needs of investors, and for that, I am grateful. With that said, their decisions can be industry leading and often setting the standard lower in the never ending spiral downward. Delta today is definitely not what it was decades ago.

Jiburi
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was Silver Medallion from January, 2010 to January, 2014 and again from December, 2014 until January, 2018 and my experiences echo yours. I used to get upgraded to First Class about 25% of the time (usually on short Delta Connection flights) and Comfort Plus 75-80% of the time. Even when I didn't get upgraded my experiences echoed the OP: Delta is a pleasant airline to fly. The vast majority o flight attendants and gate agents are friendly and polite and provide good service.

I will tell the OP that if there's any way he can move up the ranks, it only gets better with each rung you climb and all of a sudden you'll feel that while FO was decent, GM is good and PM is very good (and I presume but do not know that DM is great)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Heard today in Delta One to LAX:

”Good morning Mr. Adelphos, my name is Cici, welcome aboard and thank you for being a Silver Medallion!”

The upgrade list for this flight is 50 long, though. Gotta strive for Gold or maybe Platinum this year.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Heard today in Delta One to LAX:

”Good morning Mr. Adelphos, my name is Cici, welcome aboard and thank you for being a Silver Medallion!”

The upgrade list for this flight is 50 long, though. Gotta strive for Gold or maybe Platinum this year.
So instead of being #50 on the UG list, you will be proud of being #30 or so?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

So instead of being #50 on the UG list, you will be proud of being #30 or so?
1) For this flight, much better to buy D1 one way at $700 or so

2) Not sure where “pride” comes in. Gold out of NYC does get upgraded a good amount from what I understand, 50% or more
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adelphos
2) Not sure where “pride” comes in. Gold out of NYC does get upgraded a good amount from what I understand, 50% or more
Life as a Gold isn't half bad as long as you avoid ATL. I worked for a company in ANC and went there monthly between 2011-2014, with Gold status. I was upgraded ~60% of the time on MSP<>ANC and that's a wonderful upgrade because it's not a short flight.
Adelphos likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.