Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Surprisingly Good Silver Medallion Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprisingly Good Silver Medallion Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FF524
Example - I was on a flight last week on a reward ticket, my family and me headed out for Christmas in the sun. Sitting in coach, I asked for a club soda and a lime. FA laughed, almost as if to say, we don’t have limes back here funny man....
This is hilarious.

In all seriousness though, I get what you are saying.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JackFranchino
1. Delta is good at being on-time. Out of all of the flights I've taken with Delta this year, 100% have been on-time or early. To put this into perspective, the one trip I took with United as a Premier Silver (TVC-ORD-ZRH-ORD-TVC) resulted in me paying out of pocket for an overnight stay and getting a $50 voucher for the inconvenience.
I'll agree with your other points but not this one. Although I know the statistics prove me wrong. But my statistics are contradictory to overall operations. I had 71 segments last year and spent the night in the wrong city 3 times. My > 30 minute delay % is over 25. IDK if I juts have bad karma, or the numbers lie, or I fly routes that run late, but I'm late a lot.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by bergamini
I'll agree with your other points but not this one. Although I know the statistics prove me wrong. But my statistics are contradictory to overall operations. I had 71 segments last year and spent the night in the wrong city 3 times. My > 30 minute delay % is over 25. IDK if I juts have bad karma, or the numbers lie, or I fly routes that run late, but I'm late a lot.
I had 91 segments in 2018, and only one unscheduled overnight in SLC due to a mx delay for a Compass airlines operated flight. The other 90 segments had very few delays, to the point I don't even track them because it's so infrequent.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by RFNJ
I am PM by way of an affiliate (I am Aeromexico Platinum), and my Delta experience has been pleasantly surprising. I did two trips from NY on Delta. One to Charlotte, upgraded (with wife) to business both ways. Flying to ORD got offered earlier flight, which was great as my original itinerary got delayed shortly after. And the few times I have interacted with agents at the counter (they provide supplemental check-in assistance to AeroMexico when things go wrong) they were fantastic, and thanked me for being platinum - something that Aeromexico never does).

That being said, my only odd experience was being #6 on upgrade list for ORD-LGA a day before the flight, then finding myself bumped down to #15 by the time the flight was boarding. Are there really that many Diamond levels on that route? Or was I being bumped in favor of "true" Delta PM passengers? Either way, I am generally pleased by the way they treat their "step-children"
Yes, or platinums on a higher fare class. That route has substantial business traffic. People do not appear on the upgrade list until they check in so that is normal to start at the top and move down as you get closer to departure. Also, probably a lot of last minute bookings on that route and people same day confirming to a different flight on a business travel heavy route. There is a thread for the longest upgrade list you experienced - there are a lot of diamonds a lot farther down on the list on a lot of flights.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:26 pm

Example - I was on a flight last week on a reward ticket, my family and me headed out for Christmas in the sun. Sitting in coach, I asked for a club soda and a lime. FA laughed, almost as if to say, we don’t have limes back here funny man....

Huh...I have always received a lime in my gin & tonic when in C+. 98% of the time, they have a plastic cup full of them, and the 2% they don't, the FA knows its on the other Y cart or they just go retrieve one from F because its closer. The only time I don't receive a lime is when I am sitting in F on a regional carrier and I don't receive one "because I didn't ask for one."
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
As a DM, I generally never been thanked by DL FA, unless it's the regular FA on certain frequent routes. However, both Korean Air and China Airlines have done an amazing job. Every flight - their purser would come and thank me and a few apparently recognizes me and knows what I like to drink....On China Airlines, the purser would bring over a little extras that regular pax do not like, like slippers, left over amenity kits...

Oddly, my mother, a non-status DL member get thanked by DL, because I book her ticket using my miles...

My stats are not good enough. I caught every major Delta meltdown, including having to slept at LAX when that computer issues happened, twice... More interestingly on another issue, they rerouted me, due to IROP, to MSP to fly to HND, but first by sending me on a red-eye to ATL, in middle seat, then to MSP instead of direct, and wont' give me the MQM for the extra detour through mothership

Last edited by wlau; Jan 3, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
A couple of scrambles, but not a single forced overnight stay in several years for this DM. In fact, I can only recall one (ATL) in over a million miles, excluding the April weather meltdown at JFK a couple of years ago. Status rarely recognized but for a seat up front and delivery to Point B who cares. UG running 90%+ with pretty decent use of RUCs for TCON. My sole gripe with DL's FF program is the disappearance of reasonable J award fares to Europe (I did snag FCO for 150K last week on sale) and low awards in general. I seem to get a batch of late arrivals then months of smooth sailing. I'm sticking with them.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The average traveler isn't even eligible for an upgrade, notwithstanding the advice of whatever listicle they read online about to dress for an upgrade.
Anecdotally, the one time I got op-upped (not on DL) from W to F I was wearing a suit.
I'm guessing it probably had more to do with the fact I paid an exorbitant amount of money buying a fully flexible ticket at the last-minute
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Out of 53 segments this year, I think I was thanked by an FA for my medallion status...once? Maybe twice?
I was traveling with a non-status producer in F from DTW-LAX. A flight attendant came up to our row, and greeted him (by name) and said "this thing (pointed to her tablet) told me I need to acknowledge you and thank you for flying Delta." Ahhh...the warm, fuzzy feelings. No acknowledgement for the Diamond sitting right next to him =-).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
I will acknowledge your DM status now. I hope this helps you feel better.
pvn likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
Anecdotally, the one time I got op-upped (not on DL) from W to F I was wearing a suit.
I'm guessing it probably had more to do with the fact I paid an exorbitant amount of money buying a fully flexible ticket at the last-minute
I honestly think I'd rather wear comfortable clothing in W than a suit in F.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta
I recently attained Southwest Alist status, was approved for Delta Silver matching in about a week and a flight that was paid for by points and cash was upgraded to Comfort Plus for both me and my companion on a round trip (upgraded both ways for both people and seats together) to Hawaii from LAX for New Years. Not too shabby of an experience so far. FYI she needed to have a SkyMiles account, but didn't require status for this to work. They even let me move to two other open seats for a little more privacy on the return trip.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bergamini
I honestly think I'd rather wear comfortable clothing in W than a suit in F.
I went right from a client meeting to LHR and was op-uped at the check in counter. Lost the suit before I got to the gate.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by The Situation
Huh...I have always received a lime in my gin & tonic when in C+. 98% of the time, they have a plastic cup full of them, and the 2% they don't, the FA knows its on the other Y cart or they just go retrieve one from F because its closer. The only time I don't receive a lime is when I am sitting in F on a regional carrier and I don't receive one "because I didn't ask for one."
I had a bit of a surly crew on LGA-MIA on Friday and the FA refused to get a lime for me from First (I didn’t clear and was in C+). At first, he just said flatly, “We don’t have them,” and then said straight-up no when I suggested that they might have them up front.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
... snag the last minute upgrade because of a FC no-show and get retrieved from coach - life is good.
That can equally get embarrassing when you're sitting next to your boss (happened to me).

It's interesting (and human) how the recognition has variability. Sometimes the GA says "thank you for being a GM/PM/DM" to the guy in front of me when boarding, but nothing to me (I only care bc of consistency), sometimes pursers/FA greet you, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they come showering you with love for "being so loyal and our nicest flier on board today". I enjoy it but sometimes it gets embarrassing. In the end, I think it's a human touch and I appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.