Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL appears to have another BOS buildup coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL appears to have another BOS buildup coming

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CKDGM

That was AIUI slated for a BusinessElite lounge (DL had already dropped 3-class international service when the plans were being drawn up), but by the time interior build-out happened they'd also dropped the dedicated lounges.

I'm glad the space finally has a future.
That sounds right to me too. I just couldn't remember which deprecated service it was that had prompted the decision to have two lounges instead of one. It was long before I started being a frequent flier, so it's just based on stories I've heard through the years (and through 60+ flights into Boston).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I remember hearing maybe 10 years ago that had CBP being willing to open up a checkpoint in Terminal A, DL would've had a major international ramp up at BOS instead of JFK. So I don't think it was a single service being withdrawn that caused the BusinessElite lounge to not open up, but the decision to not have that international presence at BOS. Of course, these are 10 year old memories, so take them with as many grains of salt as you need to.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
If Amtrak made its slots on time, they wouldn't get put in behind MNRR locals. On the other sections of the line, Amtrak regularly makes commuter trains wait for delayed Acelas. (When I commuted on NJ Transit for about 18 months, we were held for a late running Acela to pass probably once a week on average.)

But even putting that aside, the best case for NYP-BOS is about 3h30 due to the numerous curves, low speeds, and outdated infrastructure through much of the NEC from roughly New Rochelle to New London. That's just slow enough to be less competitive with flying for many trips.
How does Acela get to delay the NJ Transit trains, but then get stuck behind the Metro North trains?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:16 am

Looks like DL is going after the smaller airlines with their additions in SEA and BOS. It seems like a good way to avoid a fight with AA and UA.

Maybe they would add SJC - BOS one day . Both are tech heavy cities.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
How does Acela get to delay the NJ Transit trains, but then get stuck behind the Metro North trains?
Amtrak owns the tracks in New Jersey while Metro North owns the tracks between New Rochelle and New Haven. The host railroad is going to give its own trains the priority.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They had plans to ramp up a lot in BOS back then when terminal A was constructed and DL moved there... but remember the economy tanked also and airlines were in a contraction period.

Glad to see the expansion continuing, and perhaps A becoming DL only with the additional flights/routes.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:57 am

Looks like DL is going after the smaller airlines with their additions in SEA and BOS. It seems like a good way to avoid a fight with AA and UA.

Maybe they would add SJC - BOS one day . Both are tech heavy cities.
I just don't get the sense that UA and AA care enough about Boston to mount much of a comeback to what Delta is doing. That's not to say they don't care at all about BOS (LAX/SFO/DEN/IAH/DFW are some examples), but they just seem content to be pushed around at Logan at the whim of B6 and DL, with no real aspirations to do more than what they're doing now.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ChrisNH38
I just don't get the sense that UA and AA care enough about Boston to mount much of a comeback to what Delta is doing. That's not to say they don't care at all about BOS (LAX/SFO/DEN/IAH/DFW are some examples), but they just seem content to be pushed around at Logan at the whim of B6 and DL, with no real aspirations to do more than what they're doing now.
Not sure it's a matter of doing more than they're doing outside the hubs - AA and UA hubs are naturally very high O&D markets for Boston (ORD/LAX/SFO/PHL/DCA/CLT). Not sure where DFW/IAH/DEN/PHX rank on there. I wouldn't expect either UA or AA to start any non-hub flying from BOS, but I do expect them to defend their hubs / perhaps add a few more frequencies in these markets DL is adding.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisNH38
My feeling is that AA and UA are only really concerned about feeding their current hubs and not adding any flight that doesn't touch one of those hubs.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
My feeling is that AA and UA are only really concerned about feeding their current hubs and not adding any flight that doesn't touch one of those hubs.
Agreed. I don't think UA has ever had significant non-hub service out of BOS. AA, on the other hand, used to be as big at BOS as DL is becoming--they had a bunch of domestic and even a couple of international flights to non-hubs. But they've drawn it down to just hubs over the last 10 years and I don't see them changing that strategy.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
Originally Posted by ab2013
Really interested in seeing how AA and B6 react to this.
And here is the B6 response, a direct assault by adding frequency to 14 routes currently or scheduled to be serviced by DL (link):

Originally Posted by diburning
JetBlue should be announcing the following changes soon (although unofficially leaked already):

1. More flights will be added between BOS-NYC (up to 18x/day) and BOS-DCA (up to 14x/day) for near-hourly service to both cities.
2. More flights will be added to their 12 most popular routes from Boston (AUS, CHS, ORD, CLE, DTW, BNA, EWR, MCO, PHL, RDU, DCA, and SAV) to increase the Boston market to 175 daily flights.
3. Underperforming routes DCA-BDL and DCA-TPA will be cut to reallocate the DCA slots to DCA-BOS.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This is where the B6 TATL plans will be interesting. These adds are great for O&D but the connection opportunities are really limited through BOS domestically from these new routes (e.g., why would I fly RDU - BOS - SFO unless doing a MR).

On the flip side DL can and does offer a BOS funnel of RDU - BOS - AMS/CDG/LHR(and maybe a couple others seasonally) that are attractive if flying in Y due to the shorter TATL flight.

That equation changes if B6 could offer RDU - BOS - TATL at an attractive price vs DL (or a disruptive Mint promo price vs D1 pricing)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nebraskaboy

And here is the B6 response, a direct assault by adding frequency to 14 routes currently or scheduled to be serviced by DL (link):

And yet no BOS-CVG. You'd think this would be an easy route for B6 to try.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
This is where the B6 TATL plans will be interesting. These adds are great for O&D but the connection opportunities are really limited through BOS domestically from these new routes (e.g., why would I fly RDU - BOS - SFO unless doing a MR)
B6 isn't targeting domestic connections with these adds. Both RDU-BOS and BOS-SFO have one common demoniator - BOS. B6 is after BOS O&D and PoS, not someone looking to fly RDU-SFO via BOS.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I knew DL was adding ORD, but I didn't realize CLE was on the list too. Hallelujah. I prefer to fly into CMH, but when my mom has to go to CCF, CLE is just SO much easier, and I hate to 'leak' these flights to B6. Yay.

BOS question....is Southwest moving back to Terminal E? I will be happy to have the morass of Southwest leisure travelers out of the Precheck line in A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.